Silverado Issue

• Not the jeep but...

The last 4 times I have filled my gas tank (2000 Silverado 1500 extended cab) to full, the gague reads E and the gas light comes on. It may go back to full immediately or it may slowly rise. Only seems to happen when the tank is totally full...

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• Quote from "tedsbumper"

That's a serious problem....sell the Silverado and get a new Jeep.

I change my descision. I totally agree after much research. Actually, sell your truck to me. I'll buy it for $0.56 cents.

• Funny you mention this. I also in just the last 3-4 weeks have had the same problem with my Dodge 2500. Within Miles of filling it up I'll be driving down the road and the check engine light comes on and then the gas guage drops to E. If I pull over shut the truck off and re start it the gas guage will go right back to full then after about 50 miles or so the check engine light will go off. I took it too my friend who's a mechanic and he said that he couldn't pull any codes on it and he's not sure whats causing it. Its not hurting anything but it is annoying. :question:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• As strange as it sounds, it may be the ethanol. The first time it happened was about the time of the switch over...thoes government *(@%&#...Oh wait, I am one of thoes! :doh:

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• both my jeep and my kia are running like shit with the new gas , the kia almost stalls out on cold starts the jeep putters to a start cold now. the jeep hasnt hit 10k miles yet and the kia only has 30k.[/quote]

• Quote from "joo"

thers someplace online or a phone number you can call to complain to let them know your having probelms. I jsut haven't done it yet.

I doubt that's his problem.

It could be a bad ground to the gauge or sending unit.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• ehtanol is just corn mash moon shine the same shit the racers have been runnign for years in top alchol it comes from corn and is the future of the world....it produces more power and cleaner emmsions and can run at higher cmpression ratios. on the other hand it may be the cold start problem you all are having but I doubt it.....

• i never had a cold start problem before the change, I was thinking a new fuel filter and flush might fix the problem but ive been lazy about trying it. I did try filling up with super 97+ but it still gave me tthe same putter start

• Most newer vehicles have the ability to run enthanol blended gasoline with no problems, the auto industry just never told anyone. The computers have the ability to adjust how the engine runs on different blends of gasoline and ethanol and it is rumored that Chevy trucks have been able to run E85 gasoline for some time.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!