champion winch?????

• im looking to get a winch here shortly once the jeep is on the road. thiers an 8000lbs champion winch with winch plate hook and few accesories for 400.. i wont be hardcore mudding or rock crawling a whole lot maybe a few minor trails. would this be an ok winch? im not gonna use it a whole lot. i know the few common rules like you get what you pay for and most the time you will use a snatch block. etc... any tips or if someone has a old warm laying around id rather buy it. i know warn is a good brand but i dont see spending a whole lot if im not gonna use it constantly

thanks sorry for any spelling errors

• i wont be hardcore mudding or rock crawling a whole lot maybe a few minor trails. would this be an ok winch?

In that case it will just be money wasted on something that will be rusting away on the front of the Jeep.

Take that $400 and buy some skid plates or a lunchbox locker for the front.

They will do you much more good than a winch you will seldom, if ever use.

• In that case it will just be money wasted on something that will be rusting away on the front of the Jeep.

Take that $400 and buy some skid plates or a lunchbox locker for the front.

They will do you much more good than a winch you will seldom, if ever use.

x2. For the amount you say you'll use it, a hi-lift/farm jack would be fine for recovery.

• If you're familiar with the basic principles of lockers, it's a locker than doesn't require as much work as a traditional unit to install. All you replace is the spider gears. They're usually around $300 and depending on the axle, can be installed in your driveway without needing specialized tools.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• okay thanks sorry for all the questions guys. you all look like you have lots of fun on trails and i realy wanna go and i dont wanna get out ther and have to bug someone to get me unstick.. i just dont know all this stuff you know. so i really do appreciate it all

• OH i though it was #1 Just Empty Every Pocket #2 drive over curbs and snow piles at the mall #3 add chrome for the extra HP...

i know you guys on here have your don't wheel alone rule. but some times you can be in a situation with out anyone and need to be pulled out. i'm a boy scout so i believe in being prepared. since we live in a world where people are afraid to stop and help out. if you slide into a ditch a winch (or hilift and some straps) will keep that rescue worker from having to trek out to you in bad weather or to a remote back road. AAA is only so good.

i agree with the lunch box locker and a hi lift with straps. and maybe a come along. its a lot cheaper and your vehicle will be more capable. hi lifts are a great multipurpose tool. i would forget about skids until you are going into situations where you are chancing a blow to critical items.

like turtle said

build the jeep up for what kind of wheeling you like or to upgrade as you fix what broke while wheeling...

jeep accessories are just money and weight. so buy what your going to use or need. if you feel you need a winch go for it . plus they do come in handy at random times around the yard

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• I agree with most of these responses. I have been wheeling for over 25 yrs. I didn't put a winch on any of my rigs till this past year. Like was mentioned you don't need one but it can come in handy at times. Build your rig the way you are going to wheel it, my first ten years was a lot of muddy trails and lite rocks. Now that we have some decent OHV parks close I can get more into the heaver stuff and added accordingly. Take some time with your rig the way it is and learn by doing. This way you will know what you need and want.

• Just my opinion GET YOUR JEEP RUNNING AND ON THE ROAD! All the bling and extras won't get it running. Yes a winch is nice but I wheeled for 20 + yrs without one (now I have 2/ 1 on the YJ and 1 for the rear of the F250). Put your $$$$$ into getting the Jeep to be a reliable DD then worry about the extras. Go on some trail rides and see what works and what is just for show.A winch won't make you a wheeler doing it and learning how to drive off road is the first step.By the way I own a Champion winch(HF) and it has served me well I have worked the crap out of it and it only let me down one time(burned the motor out my fault).I don't use it just for wheeling, tree work,loading cars,and have even pulled a few fire dept brush units out with it. That is all I'll get off the :soapbox: now. One bit of advice buy a Chilton man for your Jeep they are a big help.

Formerly EMS 3420

Edited once, last by EMS 34 20 ().

• I have the Champion winch also. For my budget , the 400 bucks was all I could afford at the time. Don't use it much but glad I have it. Went wheeling once by myself before I bought it, and swore I wouldn't go again without one. (almost got stuck, but backed out). And I'll go ahead and say it....... I think it looks cool on my jeep, just like chrome on my Harley looks cool, and muscle cars look cool to their owners. I get alot of comments on how good my jeep looks and I think having that winch on it makes people say it!! It is a part of that " build"thing over time. Want it? get it!

• For what it's worth, I've had a used low-end Champion mounted on my TJ for four years or so. I'll be the first to say that I'm no winch expert, but I've learned that the brand itself isn't the most important consideration. It's the basic construction type. The two key phrases you'll always hear when discussing the better winches are "planetary gears" and "series wound motor." Mine has neither...meaning it's not so great. But, Champion does make ones with those features. I think I've used my winch 2-3 times in four years on the trails, and it did serve me well. BTW, you can call Champion directly and buy a vinyl black cover for it if you want...about $40. I'm not endorsing Champion....just sharing my experience.

Side note: It was broken when I bought it (thanks Scott! haha) and I had a small motor repair shop fix it. He replaced the motor with one used on the DELDOT trucks to spread salt/sand on the roads. Exact fit!

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!