custom bikini top?

• Hey guys, so I'm floating around a few ideas for myself and would like some extra input. My Jeep has grown into a simple weekend toy that I take off roading and very rarely (maybe never anymore) take to the beach. I never intend to use it during cold and/or rainy days for transportation, so I commonly leave the windshield, doors, and top at home. In fact, I don't own a top for it anymore.

So, in an effort to protect myself against the sun (and possibly a quick rain) on the trails, I'd like to get a bikini top. Since I have a custom cage (front half done a few years ago, back half will be completed shortly), what are the options out there? The bikini tops I've found online tie into a header channel, so I'd need something that can strap/velcro to the bars all around. Should I find someone who can make a custom one?

Thanks,

Sal

• Buy a roll of heavy gauge canvas, cut to pieces to fit the sections of your roll bar leaving about an inch of clearance so it can "float" inside each area, drill holes about an inch from the edges every inch, and lace it into place with parachute cord. Don't tie them tight enough that the cord rips through the canvas but snug enough to keep it from flapping. Easy enough to replace if you roll and also easy enough to give when something hits it.

If doing this would have it too close to your head, then make the pieces large enough that they rest on top of the cage and still lace them in. :shrug:

• I was going to suggest something like Chris... Check out spiderwebshade.com and copy that.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Thanks a lot guys.

I've been debading the best approach to my own material and options, but if history shows me anything, my own craftsmanship may be lacking :) I think the TJKini or Krawler from spiderwebshade fit the bill and my use.

• Another way of fastening it to the bar would be to install snaps and wrap the canvas (or whatever you use as a top) around the bar and snap it on. That may be a little easier to remove.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I finally decided to see how it fit over my cage (I got the TJKini) ... Seems to cover all that I'll need and it bundles up quickly. Their brochure said it blocks 90% of UV rays. For $60, it seems pretty nice and easy.

• Hater.

I am more worried about the beating sun. Even on the club comp days in April I've been sunburned. I also bring full rain gear and have a cj bikini top for the rain. I want something nicer, and plan on checking out some custom tops for the rain, but I think this shade is perfect for what I'm looking for. Mind you, I'm planning on going out to Moab this year ...

• My custom trash bag bikini cost me $0 and its water proof.
    Check my recent trail ride pics. That shit looked right! Next time take your $60 and buy your self a clue. :mrgreen:

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!