camping trailer build...

• If you buy the entire length of material they will cut it for you for free. If you only want half they will charge you fyi.
    Why not hook a tank of gas to that welder and make your welds look pretty? :innocent:

oh that's great news. It's supposed to be raining/snowing(???) tomorrow so I don't feel like exposing the raw steel to water but I'll at least check with them to see what my options are.

Heh, you think that gas will magically make my welds look pretty. I'm gonna rely on the grinder and spray paint for that. :innocent:

Good luck Jerry! Coincidentally, between today and tomorrow I'm buying an axle, gas mixture for the welder, box steel for the frame, and a 50 amp 25' extension cord. So (gulp).....I'm committed to the project.

Awesome, glad to hear you're moving forward with yours! I'd offer to help you out, but my weekends are fairly occupied. Plus, I need the time to spend on my own trailer. hehe

I can leave my truck home if you want to use it for the steel.

I'm hoping that they can cut it down to the rough sizes I need... if not, close enough and stick it out the back window of the Jeep. I'll keep you in mind. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Oh, that's good news. ;) I meant I don't want to mess with the rust, although I guess it would help Por15 adhere...

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Sadly no... Rearranged my schedule to get a set of wheels/tires but the dude flaked. At any rate, I don't have room for it yet, anyhow. Trying to clean and rearrange my garage but it's slow going. Busy work schedule is a contributing factor, along with packrat genes (thanks, poppop!). Anybody want a youth size electric guitar, new in box? :)

I'm hoping to clear enough space on Wednesday (my next day off) and get the steel, steel saw and misc supplies on Thursday. Then back to work for the weekend and maybe actually start working next Monday.

The brakes and hubs arrived yesterday, so everything I need shipped is here. Anything else I can get from Eastern Marine in Newark. Although, I haven't settled on a latch for the tailgate. It's a CJ7 gate but the CJ latch mounts on the inside and my future tent will block access. So, gotta figure out something that doesn't look ghetto.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Trying to clean and rearrange my garage but it's slow going. Busy work schedule is a contributing factor, along with packrat genes (thanks, poppop!). Anybody want a youth size electric guitar, new in box? :)

The Church in Manor Park (Church of Nativity I think it's called) has a thrift store and they are always looking for donations of stuff to sell. It has a small congregation and the store helps the church stay open. They are only open certain days of the week. Tuesday and Thursday I think. I have a bunch of children's toys that need to go there.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• The brakes and hubs arrived yesterday, so everything I need shipped is here. Anything else I can get from Eastern Marine in Newark. Although, I haven't settled on a latch for the tailgate. It's a CJ7 gate but the CJ latch mounts on the inside and my future tent will block access. So, gotta figure out something that doesn't look ghetto.

Would you mind hooks and chains like a HMMWV or 1950's pickup? Get the rubber coated chain and it doesn't even make noise.

• That's a cool idea! Dunno if the brackets would mount correctly, but I like it. I'm planning on doing a desert tan for the tub and fenders so it would match nicely.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Paint it to match your Jeep.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I'd rather do the desert tan... That way I can easily fix scratches and the matte paint won't show body defects as readily. :) Plus, I still wish my JK was painted tan. Darn that tsunami!

Jerry / Whatevah

• a little behind schedule, but ordered the steel today. They'll cut it in 8' sections for me so with the back window open, I can get it all home with the Jeep. Probably pick it up on Monday. 24' of 2x3 box, 16' of 2x2 angle, 8' of 2x2 box, 8' of receiver tube and two 5' lengths of 1" box. I got the 1" box to use for fenders (with tread plate) and nerf bars, but I think I'm better off just buying fenders. I forgot to ask for a length of 2" wide 3/16" bar, though... I'll add that on when they call me to let me know that the cut lengths are ready. That's for gussets and so I can bolt the floor down to tabs instead of drilling through the 2x3.

Gonna hit up harbor freight either tomorrow or Monday to get a metal chopsaw and misc supplies. Hope to get the first tack welds done on Monday... I hope, I hope, I hope!

I'm still going back and forth about one thing... do I weld on the suspension or bolt it on? I'm leaning toward just welding it on, but just trying to plan for the future when it comes time to replace worn components.

Jerry / Whatevah

• I'm still going back and forth about one thing... do I weld on the suspension or bolt it on? I'm leaning toward just welding it on, but just trying to plan for the future when it comes time to replace worn components.

I haven't really looked at the suspension, but I would think to bolt to rectangular tubing would either require welding spacers into the tube or drilling oversize holes in one face so you could drop a bolt in.

I would just weld it. I can't imagine what welded parts would ever need replacing, and even if they did you would probably be too old to care. :)

• here's the dimensional diagram from several pages back... the bottom right shows it against a mock frame. they have it shown with a fabbed backing plate, holes drilled through the frame and backing plate, with a washer and nut on the backing side. I think I'll just weld it. Put an angle crossmember there first and weld it all together.

I think anything wearable will unbolt from the main hanger, so I'm good there. Any recommendations on a good long-life grease?

Jerry / Whatevah

• Borrowed cj8's welder yesterday and got a bunch of supplies from HF before going to bed between shifts. Gonna pick up the steel on Monday and do some measurements, but start practicing on some various pieces of scrap metal I've been saving up to get the flux core techniques right. If I feel confident enough, I'll make some cuts and see what I can do.

I noticed that home depot has some misc steel, flat bar, angle and some small boxes in varying lengths... good to know.

Anybody think that I can get the trailer through inspection without fenders? I can't find any that'll be big enough to cover the tires... probably 4-6" uncovered. I'll have to make them, but that'll take some planning once everything else is finished.

Jerry / Whatevah

• That's what I was thinking originally, why I ordered the 1" tube. But then remembered that you can't weld to fiberglass. Lol. I like the tube fenders, don't have a bender, though so I was gonna cut and weld the corners with box. Although, I guess I could do the same with round tube.

Jerry / Whatevah

• I think fenders are the least of your concerns but you could easily use some store bought ones and just hang them a bit farther out or even get real booty fab and cut up an old plastic trash can to get you through inspection.
    I still think you should invest in a gas setup for the welder but if you insist on flux core get yourself some anti spatter spray and bunch of flap wheels from Fazios when you buy the steel.
    Btw... For same cost of the 3ft lengths of steel at Home Depot, you can likely buy full 8 to ten foot lengths at Fazzio's.
    Additionally Id Prob try and build something else before you start making the trailer. The more trigger time you have behind the gun the better. Not only will your welds improve but you will know a bit more about how the steel will react and how your welder works with differnt heat and speed settings. Keeping things good welds and keeping things square are going to be key throughout the project. Too much heat on one side can get you all out of wack in a hurry not enough can, as Ian put it, "Kill a buss full of nuns".

My..... .02

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!