camping trailer build...

• As it sits today... Still needs a lot, need to pull the wiring back out to bedline the interior, get the correct fenders from the steel yard (they gave me 10" wide, I need 12"), and mount the tailgate. Picking up the tent from YRC tomorrow, I think I can squeeze the trailer+tent under my back deck and suspend the tent with a few double pulleys while I finish the trailer. I have a day off on Wednesday, hoping I can get the correct fenders and bedline the interior. I need to fix the paint on the left rear section, the primer sprayed texture for a few seconds, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Had a setback on Wednesday, the steel yard doesn't actually carry 12" fenders, their catalog is wrong. So... I'll have to make spacers or something to push the fenders out to cover the tire. I don't have time to make custom ones before the trip. :(

Today, I fixed an issue with the tailgate hinge bolts being obstructed by an reinforcement bracket, replaced a few bolts with shorter versions and red loctite'd everything. Then rolled in the Monstaliner bed liner... I missed a few spots behind the top rail, but I'll cover those with paint. Dunno when I'll get to work on it again, next up is electrical. Switch panel, wiring, lights, battery. After that, get the tailgate on, figure out the fenders, finish the paint and get it registered. Oh, and mount the tent. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• How wide a spacer do you need?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I haven't measured yet. Around 2-3", since a 12" fender would cover the tread without spacers. The idea was to get 3/4" aluminum rod, cut to length, then drill and tap each end for 1/4" bolts. Bolt the spacers to the tub and then the fenders to the spacers. Aluminum for much easier drilling. I could use pieces of 6" angle brackets but the spacers would look a lot cleaner.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Made some progress the last 2 days, wiring harness is mostly done (just need to add the brake wires under the trailer) and nicely wrapped in loom. Also got the fenders modified for clearing the 33s and mounted with spacers (thanks to a tip from Keith_C!). Still need to mount the tailgate (need a cable bracket since the CJ one won't work and drill out the holes for the latches) and then deal with mounting the tent.

I think I might drag it to work tomorrow and try to get it registered at the DMV after work.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Doesn't look bad without a tailgate, but it still needs one.

Jerry / Whatevah

• How about a daylight photo with Jeep?

Jerry / Whatevah

• No luck at the DMV. Got there around 3:10 and was told that the Auto Theft lane (for VIN related inspections) closes at 3:30. And... there were already 15 cars in front of me, of which only 3 or so more would get in. Then he tells me that that lane is only open twice a month! 1st and 4th Thursdays at the Delaware City DMV, never at the Wilmington DMV, 2nd Thursday at Dover and 3rd Thursday in Georgetown... wonderful. The woman that answered the phone didn't say any of that when I called on Tuesday. But, it's the DMV, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I found a comment online that says trailer inspections will be done by appointment except in Kent County. I'm not sure if only trailers will be inspected by appointment, or if trailers will be inspected only by appointment. I'll get up early (for me) and call them tomorrow to find out what the process really is. I'd rather not drive to Dover just to hit the DMV.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Well, this happened today.

Now to figure out how to set it up by myself. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

• I need a title first. IIRC, you don't need a title to register in Maine, but will in DE. I don't mind paying the extra fees for DE, at least this first time.

Jerry / Whatevah

• I'll close it back up on Wednesday and get a photo then. If you look above the trailer, you can see a slice of light tan. That's the closed width, and it's around 8" tall. It extends past the trailer 9" to the sides and around 6" to the front and back.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Ended up packing it up sooner than planned to take it to the DMV. Officer from the auto theft unit called me and told me that I could go on any day for a home built inspection. They looked at it real hard with sceptical looks that it was truly home built, but finally gave me a VIN. Trailer weight with tent and a few tools was exactly 1000lbs on their scale.

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!