Anybody have a block lift on a TJ Automatic?

• A mechanic that has done alot of work for my family said that we would be really concerned about a block lift with an automatic? Anyone done it? Any problems or additional mods have to be made to keep everything in line?

• do you mean a motor mount lift? I don't know of anybody that's had a problem with it. do you have, or going to be installing, a body lift?

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Joo either has a 1" or a 1.25" and he's got an auto. he's got a MML (motor mount lift), too.

what problems did he say you'd have?

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I'm not mr. technical (I just drive'em into the ground) but seemed to think there may be so concerns with lifting the body further away from the transmission and everything still linking up - like will the shifter stay where it is now and not come all the way into the cab right? If so will it be down far enough to look like hell and rub somewhere when moving to park or D1.

• Those problems aren't automatic specific, nor are they TJ specific. You WILL run into those issues. You'll need to modify a few things but it's been done enough that it's really not too much of an issue anymore.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I've got the JKS 1.25" BL and 1" BMML. No real problems yet. I'd recomment going for the MORE 1" MML which replaces the whole thing. I'm planning on replacing mine.

I did have to install the bracket included for the transfer case linkage and actually have a machine shop extend out the link by about an inch or two for it to work out. The actual stick to go from P to 2nd didn't change noticeably.

I've been in touch with ORTS since freaking November about a tranny mount that raises the tranny 1" to allow for the 33 eng. belly up to fit but they're dragging their butts as usual.

Oh - forgot to mention 2003 TJ w/ automatic transmission

• I have a jks 1.25 body lift and a 1" motor mount lift with and auto. You will have to adjust the transfer case linkage slightly but its not to hard to do. Other than that it works fine before adjusting, sometimes the transfer case was a little tough to get into 4 low, but nothing a good yank didnt fix. Much more than a 1.25" body lift makes things worse both mechanically and visually.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• if your talkin about a body lift on an automatic jeep... ive done one.. aint hard the only difference is you gotta cut the shift linkage that runs from the coloumn to the tranny.. and weld in an extension.. its not hard just remember how it comes off (and don't move the shift knob stickin out of the tranny!! youll have hell lining the shift pattern back up.. ive been there :bang:)and take it to someone with a welder (usually a muffler shop) get it done and slap it back on there with your lift... sounds harder than it is.. im about to do my blazer..

• Sorry, I mean a 1.25 inch body lift. Trying to find someone who has done one on an automatic.

You also have a t-case drop don't you? Having both a BL and a t-case drop is where I think the problem is going to come from. Having just one or the other doesn't seem to mess anything up to bad, but using both buts the tranny/transfer case that much further away from the body, thus changing the geomertry of everything even more then before and many things may need to be modded.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• I think he's talkin about a body lift.... only in suspension lifts 6"+ do you need a t-case drop.. but on my ol cj-2 i just twisted my axles to straighten my shaft angle...

• I think he's talkin about a body lift.... only in suspension lifts 6"+ do you need a t-case drop..

This is untrue in regard to TJ's.

All Jeeps are different. With the Dana 44 the driveshafts are really short.

Anything from a 2" lift up MAY need a drop.

• I think he's talkin about a body lift.... only in suspension lifts 6"+ do you need a t-case drop.. but on my ol cj-2 i just twisted my axles to straighten my shaft angle...

I NEEDED a tcase drop on 3.5"

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!