locking a D30 front on a daily driver?

• I'm looking to add a locker on my daily driver. What would you guys recommend? I would like to stay cheap but good. I have been looking at the aussie. Thanks Jason

• I have the Aussie locker, and I like it. It works the same as the LockRight. It was a bit noisier when first installed, but can't really be heard anymore. It only engages when you put the jeep into 4WD, so it doesn't really affect anything for daily driving in 2WD.

• Be careful when driving in the snow and ice.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I have a Lock-Right and I love it. Performs very well on the trail, is quite quiet. I have not had mine in the rain or snow yet so i cannot comment on that. I have installed both Aussies and Lock-Rights and the only thing different is the springs. I personally feel as if the springs in the Lock-right are better/stronger and will last longer. Becuase they use a double spring technique which has you place a smaller spring inside of a larger spring. They all work the same and I have not heard much bad about either one.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• i would think that would help it? maybe i'm wrong. either way with this weather i dont think we'll have that much snow :laughing: ....

As long as you are going straight it will help. It will have the tendancy to plow out in turns when on the slippery stuff. Of course the lock-rights are designed to unlock when no torque is applied so all you will need to do is not hit the gas while turning.

I imagine black ice would be a scary but it generally is regardless of what you drive.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Can't you just pop it in 2wd?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• but back to being serious, i have been considering the Aussie, Detroit ez-locker, and the lock right..........is there any main differences in quality or do they all work about the same and will handle the same? Are they all realitively easy to install?

• but back to being serious, i have been considering the Aussie, Detroit ez-locker, and the lock right..........is there any main differences in quality or do they all work about the same and will handle the same? Are they all realitively easy to install?

They are all about the same and install the same.

• Also, be aware that since these lockers are torque controlled, they will lock-up when torque is applied from acceleration or deceleration. If you have a manual tranny and are coming down a hill in first or second you might have to feather the clutch when wanting to turn or the Jeep might want to continue straight.

Not a big deal... once you're aware of it.

• I have never had that problem Keith. I completely see how it could happen though.

But I have been in some situations where there was a buttload of torque on my lock-right and it held up great. I have three-wheeled with it on the trail and driven it almost everyday. I love mine.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• I have never had that problem Keith. I completely see how it could happen though.

But I have been in some situations where there was a buttload of torque on my lock-right and it held up great. I have three-wheeled with it on the trail and driven it almost everyday. I love mine.

I noticed it mainly on a run last year where there were icey patches coming down the trail.

• LockRight here...Keith put it in for me...it isn't there, but it is...if you know what I mean. Clicks when you turn into parking spots, etc., but then people ask me if Jeep is broken. I tell them, "no, it's a real Jeep...it's supposed to do that." Love it, wheeled it, loved it more. Third best mod Keith ever made. The Jeep definitely climbs well!

• I had an OX is my XJ... That worked fine. When I wrecked it last month that was really the only thing still good.

&quot;Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.&quot;

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!