'89 Cherokee wont turn over.

• Hello everyone, :wavey:
    I have been having so many problems with my Cherokee, but this one is the worst. A few months ago the TPS went bad, and when getting the bolts out... they snapped in half in the hole. Nice and flush. It's hard to get anything in there to tap them out, so I just got a nice handy roll of duct tape and professionally secured it in place. But the car turned on and idled right around the right RPM. I drove it maybe 4 times like that, but turned it on a bunch and let is sit idle. I took a break from the engine, and took off the tape. I started work on the bumper, which had fallen off due to years of road salt and rust. I got the bumper on last night, and now ready and full of excitement tried fruitlessly to get the engine on. I haven't touched anything besides the TPS and all the connectors and wire seem to be in place. The battery seems fine, I can put it into ACC and the radio works and the dash lights come on. The starter is less then a year old, and the alternater is even younger. The engine doesn't turn, nor does it 'click' when I turn the key to start. Any help would be amazing.

• make sure all the batery wires are clean and tight
    both on the battery and on the starter

Well I know that the battery wires are tight, but the clean part leaves more to be hoped from. The previous owner thinks he did a lot for it, but really a roof rack help on with four bolts did nothing but put a dent in the roof.

I will see what I can do about cleaning the cables. Bit cold and windy today, but I will fight the weather!

RIP roof rack

• deff. check the wires going to the starter....mine comes loose sometimes and acts completely dead....i just tightend them up and it starts right up.

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

• deff. check the wires going to the starter....mine comes loose sometimes and acts completely dead....i just tightend them up and it starts right up.

Geez its cold, Thanks I will see if I can tighten them up, makes sense seeing how it's a little rough of a drive.

• its doesnt take much to have a stereo or lights come on. your battery may have the amps to have smaller accessories come on but to start it has to be strong as possible. try getting your battery tested and see how that turns out.

another note, good point about wires going to the starter, on my xj thats where the oil filter is and its easy to get a bad connection with alot of crud around.

• OK, well the wires are cleaned and tight so no luck there, I will try and give it a jump for more power. I would be happy if it clicks :bang:

• its doesnt take much to have a stereo or lights come on. your battery may have the amps to have smaller accessories come on but to start it has to be strong as possible. try getting your battery tested and see how that turns out.

WORD! :bang: It's happened to me before.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• No luck with the jump. It's bloody cold, but I am going to take the battery to Sears and see what to do from there.

• there are a ton of "no start" "won't turn over" topics on the NAXJA forum... it's worth a shot to check there. http://www.naxja.org/forum/

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• check the main ground, make sure you have enough amperage coming from the battery. make sure your engine wiring harness the main one, big connector is clean and plugged in, make sure all harnesses are plugged tight. it could be ur starter solinoid.

• no clicky not good.

have someone turn the key (to start) a bunch of times while you keep you hand on the relays under the hood on the elecbox. you should hear one click and feel it as well....if that is not working, then you should possible replace that relay (dont know but maybe the horn relay is there and the same amperage, would get you through until you get to the parts shop)

• First sign of good news! I went to put a jumper wire to the +side battery to the starter and the starter did it's thing. So I was hoping that the few love taps I gave it with the hammer jiggled it loose, and that was the problem. Went to turn the key, nothing. I think that will help narrow the search down, but I still have no idea whats wrong.

**UPDATE**
    Listen to that baby roar! I turned the key into the On posistion, then went and touched the wire to the starter, and it started up. So I think that will help narrow it down. I'm going to give it a few more minutes on, then try to use the key to start it up, but I don't think it will work.

• it could be ur starter solinoid.

I have had the no start or turn over problem. Every time my XJ doesnt want to start I go to the junk yard and get another starter. Works every time :shrug:Dont know why.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!