Power Steer or No Power Steering?...

• ...that is the question.

My '93 YJ is currently bone stock. It is so bone stock, that it doesn't even have power steering! :bang: I stopped by the DeJA tent and chatted with some of you about this. There was discussion about just putting in a power steering pump and replacing the serpentine belt, along with the steering box. On the other hand, there was also discussion about doing a hydro assist.

Guess what I am looking for here are the pros and cons of each and how difficult would it be for me to do the mod myself no matter which way I decide to go. The point of the matter is that there will definitely be power steering coming up, just a question of which kind.

• But would it be easier and cheaper to do then to add power steering. Thats what OMAHA was wondering while talking to him.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• A hydro assist kit comes with everything you need to convert to power steering except the power steering pump bracket, differences are you get a steering box that is tapped and a hydraulic ram to weld to the tie-rod and axle, biggest issues would be ram clearance as it is tight even with 35's and welding to the stock tie-rod is probably not the greatest idea.... I would bet money he could boneyard all the power steering parts for under 100 dollars....where a hydro kit is about $950.00- but as I said earlier the biggest issue is going to be overkill....kind of like dropping a V8 into a geo metro...it will only be a matter of time before stuff starts breaking....

• It will be much cheaper and easier to hook up a power steering system from a bone yard. CJ people grab power steering boxes from Wagoneers and J trucks. It's supposed to be equal to a PSC box from what I've read. I'm running one from a Wagoneer.

YJ boxes might be different though since the frames are wider in front. It's worth looking into. I have a spare power steering box if you want to do a visual comparison.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• This is all great info to know. I don't plan on keeping the YJ bone stock. I have a ton of ideas on different mods for it, just can't do them all at the same time. $950.00 for a Hydo Asist Kit! Wow! If that is the case, then maybe I will start out with a power steering system. Guess I'll start looking at the bone yards...

• Astape is running a ram steering set up. He may have his stock power steering set up laying around. It's worth a PM to him.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• and here is my 2 nuts... forget about it. put a little elbow grease into it and forget it. havent had p/s since i got my yj, and it actually turns better with 33's on it than the stock tires. :shrug: i guess i just didnt see the need in spending all the money just to have one more thing to drag on my motor, and one more thing tthat can go wrong

• yeah, I noticed a bid difference in better turning when I put the 31's on my Cj with a 2.5! love it. I'm gonna try wheeling it like that. :up:

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• Keep in mind that the REAL appreciation for power steering comes while maneuvering the tires against a rock or log, or out of a hole or rut.

It can be done manually, but it will make for a LONG day on a trail.

My buddy wheeled this truck down Turtle trail at the old Paragon. It has manual steering and 33s. Because of the length, he had to do a lot of 3 point turns in the woods. Because of the narrow cab he kept hitting his elbow on something as he arm-stronged the steering wheel left and right.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• aarons is just a simple hydro assits from psc. it came with a new pump, steering box, fluid resivor, ram, mounts and lines. it is at least $950 and can go up depending on options. i think aarons was a little more.

I have a yj steering box with a waggy putman arm. works great. it has the bracket it bolts to also. dont need a steering box anymore.

• Ok, finally got down to see Aaron. :wavey: It was great to meet you and I learned a lot in the little amount of time that I was there. However, I left his place with more than I bargained for. The good news is that all I need to finish out a power steering conversion is the power steering box, reservoir, low and high pressure lines. So it isn't going to be as much of a chore than initially thought. :up:

Now for the bad... In checking out the YJ, it was discovered that I have some serious cracks and fractures in my frame at the rear end. :cuss: It's that bad that we could see a bit of daylight at one spot. Needless to say, it really isn't safe to drive right now. :badidea: The whole back end of the frame is pretty much beyond sensible repair. :bang: So, now I guess I'll be hunting for a donor YJ frame for my '93. Aaron suggested one of two ideas.
    #1: Cut out the rear half of the frame and splice in the back end of a good frame.
    #2: Do a total frame swap.
    I'm leaning towards the frame swap. He's saying that they're about the same amount of work. Guess I should look on the bright side, this will give me an excuse to upgrade the supsension and some other things on it. :innocent:
    Also, PA inspection is about due on it and I'm highly doubting it would have passed anyways. It's like my GF said, better to find out now than when I'm getting it inspected.

• Look at it as if the glass is half full.... it is a good excuse to upgrade. The power train and running gear all look fine it just needs a new frame.

Aaron

• A lot of guys cut the rusted part out and weld in new box tubing.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Yea, you're right. It could be a lot worse. And it is definitely a great excuse to upgrade. In parallel with hunting down a frame, I'm going thru the catalogues deciding what I want to upgrade and what would make sense to upgrade while the frame work is being done.

A lot of guys cut the rusted part out and weld in new box tubing.

Pretty much the entire rear end of the frame needs replaced. And that would be a lot of box tubing. Guess it is one of those toss-ups.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!