Dana 35 talk.

• with all the people looking to go bigger i figured would ask this so that people could get some info.
    I want to know how many people on here have broken a dana 35, what broke, what you where doing when it broke, what your rig has on it(engine, tires, lift, lockers) so that people can judge for themselves if they need a stronger rear axle or not. i know i have beat mine in to submision and never had it break, i do carry shafts but i am not easy on it.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• cracked the carrier on both sides where the pin goes through to hold the gears, the inner gears were tore up. i was on route to go wheeling. 4.0L nv3550 running 35x12.5 mud ter 4.56 gears. guy i work with was at newark jeep for 14 years he says the 35 is weak and saw a lot of cracked carriers. if u plan on locking or running over 33's i would upgrade to something 8.8, 9, or a 44. i went with the 44 and put in a truetrac couldnt be happier.

• This should also be a sticky and only contain one's personal experience. If it is all just a bunch of stories, then it tends to get a little embellished.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• Wasted my spider gears and cracked my carrier rolling for 3 feet or so in reverse and going into 1st gear. This was a 2.5 with 33s and an open diff. Of course not the smartest move but I didn't exactly dump the clutch. Locked 8.8 now and its treated me very well.

• busted the spider gears in my 97 tj .
    on the street with 31's and no lift
    also busted the rear yoke twice on the street
    never on a trail ride with the 97 nor the beach
    but i did drive itlike i stole most of the time

• I once ran over some used chewing gum in the Walmart parking lot and tore the entire axle out of the Jeep.

I loaded it into a shopping cart and wheeled it home.

I still have the shopping cart...

• yeah ed that is what i was trying to make it a sticky and just personal experiences

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Hmmm...D35 in my MJ went through 2 sets of spiders, a ring and pinion, and 3 shafts. That was 3.55's, open diff w/ 35's.

With my XJ D44 that was in both the MJ and then later in the TJ I broke a stock diff (cracked the case of it where the pin passes) being stupid on the street, 3 ring/pinions (one was due to faulty setup by a shop that will remain unnamed), and an Ox twice (first time was due to the pinion shearing and walking into it and the second I broke the center pin).

Since going to a 60 in the rear....nothing. Well worth the $$ as I could've paid for _both_ the front and rear 60's with just the parts I dumped into the other two _rear_ axles.

Can a 35 or 44 last with >35's? Sure, if you're a careful, occasional wheeler. If you wheel often and/or hard you _will_ need something beefier as the money tied up in broken/worn out parts adds up quick. Hell, even with 35's anymore I'd start questioning a 44 if you beat on it (and a 35 doesn't even enter the equation).

--Ian

• This should also be a sticky and only contain one's personal experience. If it is all just a bunch of stories, then it tends to get a little embellished.

no more stickies! :drowns:

LMFAO!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No problems with my D35 in my 05 TJ. I wheel the thing kinda hard, but do know my limits. I drive it on the street like I stole it. I'm gonna break it sooner or later on the road doing something stupid.

33's with 3.73gears

• no really i was trying to make this a serious post about 35's cause everyone has been talking about swaping them out just trying to get some info for everyone.

• when I had 35's on my d35, I jacked it up on the pumpkin, you could actually see the axle tubes flex as the weight of the wheels and tires bent them down. I never wheeled it with the d35 again.

• i've been running 32's on a stock d35 for almost 3 years.. wheeling it when i can and not being easy on it... with absolutely no problems so far...(knock on wood)

acouple weeks ago at the beach i saw a yj on 38's with a stock d35.. now thats ballzy

95&#039; YJ stock springs. SOA ,8.8 w/disks and 35&#039;s<br />DD 2008 Grand Cherokee

Edited once, last by HUMAT14 ().

• These posts are absolutely useless as even if you get personal experiences, what do people consider "hard" wheeling vs/ not "hard" wheeling.... This is another subject that has been beaten to death to the point of uselessness.... if you haven't learned yet what you need to know how is another post about what did you do going to help??

To sum it up hear is an easy way to look at it...

Dana 35

Crappy carrier
    Small ring and pinion
    C-clips
    Crappy stock shafts
    horrible stock housing that flexes like crazy

Dana 44

Carriers not very prone to breaking
    Ring and pinions suffer from lack of oiling in higher lift situations which leads to pinion and pinion bearing failure
    No-c-clips
    Stock shafts should hold up to 35's
    Stock housing still sucks but you can truss it to make it better

I dont think I have even heard of a carrier breaking even in comp rigs
    c-clips
    ring and pinion is slightly bigger than a 44 but still has oiling problems
    stock shafts are more than sufficient
    housings tend to spin but welding fixes that

Now all that being said, again who cares what person a b or c did back in 1997 when the were doing 5000 rpm clutch drops on the street....The best advice I can give, is if you are going to wheel it make sure you can fix it... that goes for 35's 44's 8.8's or even 60's....as everything in any give situation can and will break.....

• The best advice I can give, is if you are going to wheel it make sure you can fix it... that goes for 35's 44's 8.8's or even 60's....as everything in any give situation can and will break.....

Words to live by right there. :up:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

acouple weeks ago at the beach i saw a yj on 38's with a stock d35.. now thats ballzy

NO Thats STUPID :doh:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!