Wheel spacers

• if I have a wheel with 4.5 backspacing does adding a spydertrax wheel spacer make it equivelant to 3.5 backspacing? Does the addition of a spacer weaken things at all?

• It moves the load center away from the middle of inner and outer bearings which will make it harder on the bearings. I've also heard that it's harder on ball joints.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• But the net effect is about the same as a wheel with less BS. X2 what Slimer said. Pick your poison as I am sure you will tear up your unit bearings in other more creative manners long before the additional load of the spacer does it for you. ;D

• But the net effect is about the same as a wheel with less BS. X2 what Slimer said. Pick your poison as I am sure you will tear up your unit bearings in other more creative manners long before the additional load of the spacer does it for you. ;D

the net effect is not the same because the rim backspacing is still the same not matter how many spacers you add, they are just spacing the wheel out. All wheel spacer manufactures say not to use them on wheels that have more backspacing than stock, not safe!!

If you think about it, running a 1.25" wheel spacer on stock rim say 5" (bs now 3.75 theoretically) or a rim with the correct amount of back spacing 3.75, the tire is not in the same relationship to the mounting flange of the wheel. Spacers add much more stress on components.

If you have a wheel with 4.5" of backspacing there is no way you should need more unless your running 13.5 wide tires....Stock rubicon wheels can run 35s without spacers and only rub the front lower arms, (no biggie, let them rub!)

• the net effect is not the same because the rim backspacing is still the same not matter how many spacers you add, they are just spacing the wheel out. All wheel spacer manufactures say not to use them on wheels that have more backspacing than stock, not safe!!

If you think about it, running a 1.25" wheel spacer on stock rim say 5" (bs now 3.75 theoretically) or a rim with the correct amount of back spacing 3.75, the tire is not in the same relationship to the mounting flange of the wheel. Spacers add much more stress on components.

If you have a wheel with 4.5" of backspacing there is no way you should need more unless your running 13.5 wide tires....Stock rubicon wheels can run 35s without spacers and only rub the front lower arms, (no biggie, let them rub!)

Huh? Throwing away differences in wheel weights, etc running a spacer is no different than a wheel with the same offset as the org+spacer. The net effect is the same...draw a quick picture and you can see that a 15x8 w/ 3.75" BS will have the same leverage as a 15x8 w/ 5" BS plus a 1.25" spacer.

Back to the OP's question of wear-and-tear. Yup, this will add leverage and cause increased wear on balljoints and unit bearings over the same wheel with no spacer. BUT...IMHO I think the difference becomes less and less as the tires become larger/heavier. I was on a yearly replacement schedule for unit bearings and maybe 1.5-2 for balljoints while running 36" Iroks on a D30.

--Ian

• the net effect is not the same because the rim backspacing is still the same not matter how many spacers you add, they are just spacing the wheel out. All wheel spacer manufactures say not to use them on wheels that have more backspacing than stock, not safe!!

Hehehe I think we need that Structural Engineer back in here! ;D

EDIT: And FYI, 315x75r16 MTZ's on 16x8 with 4.25" BS do rub on a stock or nearly stock setup. No amount of rubbing is "ok" so just add washers to the steering stops and call it a day. :up:

• My wheels have 3.65 backspacing so I'm thinking I should be good with no rubbing up to a 35x13.50. (That's what I'm banking on anyway.....................

• I was on a yearly replacement schedule for unit bearings and maybe 1.5-2 for balljoints while running 36" Iroks on a D30.

--Ian

How do you do it, I cant even make a D30 last a year let alone do any yearly maintenance. :suspicious:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!