High Lift Jack mounting

• I am looking for some new ideas where to mount it. I have a 2003 Rubicon and right now its mounted on the hood. And i really don't like that idea. So if you could help me out that would be great. I have a Rampage swing away. I am not very good at this kind of stuff. Unless you bolt it on i can't do it.

• If you get into a front end accident, wouldn't all that cast iron go through the windshield resulting in decapitation, or at the very least a really bad hair day??

How about some pipe clamps and wing nuts mounting it inside on the roll bars. It reduces rear view visibility, but keeps it inside (less rain and ultimately rust) and somewhat secure, although Jeeps aren't the most secure of vehicles to begin with.

Justin

• I have it mounted that way. Doesn't reduce my vision at all because I have it mounted low. The only issue I ever found with this location is that it doesn't work with the soft top down.

http://a376.ac-images.myspacec…8c2e1b8a386e5b62bfe07.jpg
    http://a978.ac-images.myspacec…befb121c5484f4b910b41.jpg

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• If you get into a front end accident, wouldn't all that cast iron go through the windshield resulting in decapitation, or at the very least a really bad hair day??

Not to you.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• just buy a bottle jack

That is what I did. I will probably take my hilift jack off now. It never works right when I need it to. Bottle jack has never let me down. :wavey:

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• That is what I did. I will probably take my hilift jack off now. It never works right when I need it to. Bottle jack has never let me down. :wavey:

If you take it down I'll take the mounting system off your hands.

How about some pipe clamps and wing nuts mounting it inside on the roll bars. It reduces rear view visibility, but keeps it inside (less rain and ultimately rust) and somewhat secure, although Jeeps aren't the most secure of vehicles to begin with.

That'll still be lower then my 35" spare! I can't see sh!t out the rear view mirror... :doh:

• It is nothing more than some fencing clamps, washers, and wing nuts. pm sent

• Then you have a bunch of weight mounted up high.... Who ever invented the hi-lift should be shot.. I haven't carried one wheeling for the last 5 trips I took... I bought a bottle jack at sears for $40.00 and have never even missed the hi-lift... it is 100x's safer and 100x's more compact....just bring a piece of 2x10 to place it on and you will never have trouble finding a flat spot to use it

• good point on the bottle jack. i have both. it never occurred to me until reading this thread that i always use my bottle jack rather than the hi-lift.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• If we didn't have one at Big Dogs our last trip, J-Man's Jeep might still be there. It's hard to explain, but we needed one to lift his ass end up to slide him over a rock and away from a tree. Bottle jack wouldn't have worked.

I would personally keep one within the group.

• I would personally keep one within the group.

That is the key point not everyone needs to have a hi-lift and the fewer there are in the group, the less likely someone is going to get hurt by those god awful things... I also see people riding around with one attached to the jeep 100% of the time... all that means to me is that they have a non-functioning hi-lift :laughing:... as mine have never fared well once they were exposed to even a little bit of water

• If we didn't have one at Big Dogs our last trip, J-Man's Jeep might still be there. It's hard to explain, but we needed one to lift his ass end up to slide him over a rock and away from a tree.

you mean the lift, teeter, topple method? :D

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Bottle jack wouldn't have worked.

I would personally keep one within the group.

i agree. i'll still carry mine when wheeling. i was just a little surprised when i thought about the percentage jacking i've done with bottle jack (or stock, for that matter) vs. hi-lift.

it seems to me that i've used the hi-lift almost exclusively for recovery. but for trail repairs on the heep, i always use the bottle jack.

~ JD

• I also see people riding around with one attached to the jeep 100% of the time... all that means to me is that they have a non-functioning hi-lift :laughing:... as mine have never fared well once they were exposed to even a little bit of water

i bolt mine on a day or two before a wheeling trip (put it on last night, as a matter of fact). then i take it off soon after the trip, if i remember that it's back there.

btw, mine is mounted on the swing-out.

~ JD

• Saw an ad on TV last night for an inflatable bag to lift a vehicle...

My hi-lift on the hood has started a lot of conversations about my Jeep. Hope I never use it, but its there, bolted down to brackets using the hood hinge bolts as anchors. Seems sturdy enough. I clean it when I clean the Jeep, keep it oiled, and locked, still works great. Should it freeze up someday, I'll throw it way and get another one at Tractor Supply, cheap enough afterall. I'd think it would work good on the beach if someone (not me) was stuck.

• just buy a bottle jack

x2
    I didnt like the idea on the hood or inside . If the impact was great enough even inside it might
    become a projectile , not worth the risk when family or friends are inside .
    I havent carried mine in years and IIRC I gave it away

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!