Lift Advice

• As to what it takes to run 35's... That's one of those "if you gotta ask" type questions.
    There's a LOT that needs to be changed to accomplish that effectively.

I have an '05 Rubicon that I want to fit 35's on. Im thinking about going with a RE lift but dont know what size I need. also I heard I dont need a SYE on Rubicon models, just a CV rear drive shaft. what is it that I need to do? I feel lost.

moved this post from a 3 year old thread: http://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?topic=3025.0

• depends on what you intend to use the Jeep for. trails, beach, for show, etc... at any rate, you'll get a lot of opinions. You can get away with a RE 3.5" and a 1" body lift for many things, although the RE 4.5" kit is a very nice upgrade, as it includes a few more components in addition to the taller springs.

No SYE needed, as the Rubicon tcase already has one. you'll just need a longer cv shaft for your lift height. example here: http://www.quadratec.com/products/52301_910.htm

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Thanks for the input. It will be my daily driver and I want to build it up for trail/mud runs (planning on doing the Rubicon Trail next summer so it has to be able to make it out there.) Also, what gears would i need to keep it at OEM quality? I want to stay away from bady lifts as much as possible.

• 4.56 or 4.88 are the usual gears, depending on the weight of the tires. really heavy tires (like parnelli jones), you'd want the 4.88s. more highway, or normal weight tires, 4.56 would be fine.

I lose most of my mpg on my daily commute going to work. stop-n-go, then hilly backroads. I'm actually going with 4.56 gears for my 32s (will eventually move up to 33s) since I need the gearing for the commute. If I had a shorter commute or all highway stuff, I'd run 4.11s. now, the only highway I do is going to Dover for the club meetings, since I run mostly backroads to the offroad areas. Even then, I should be fine on the highway, since with my 0.75:1 overdrive, I should be around 2275rpm at 65mph. There is a chart here that shows the rpms for various gear/tire sizes: http://4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm it doesn't take into account overdrive gearing, so figure out what overdrive gear you have and factor that into the chart.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• PM Quantum73. I think he still has a nice RE 3.5" lift available. You might be able to work out getting Wolverines 4.5" springs to go with it. That would be a great set up for you.

• I have the 4.56s with 35" BFG AT in mine. I think the 4.56 gears are good for DDs that go off road occasionally. Mine will buzz down Rt 1 at 65 mph with no problem.

BTW... Are you guy that I met at Home Depot yesterday, Jason right? :wavey: DE is such a small state!

• You should just buy the AEV Highline Hood kit or whatever it's called and throw 35's on it with no lift.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

• whats so bad about a 1" body? I'd rather go 1" body and do a tummy tuck over going another inch in suspension!! Why do you want 35s? What is your over all goal? If I were to do it all over again, and with a DD, I would just stick at a 2" BB, 1.25" Body lift, Tummy tuck, and 33s. A rubicon set-up like that will go most places a regular TJ on 35s will. And you would not need to get new gears... Put the money into a cage and skids!

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• whats so bad about a 1" body? I'd rather go 1" body and do a tummy tuck over going another inch in suspension!! Why do you want 35s? What is your over all goal? If I were to do it all over again, and with a DD, I would just stick at a 2" BB, 1.25" Body lift, Tummy tuck, and 33s. A rubicon set-up like that will go most places a regular TJ on 35s will. And you would not need to get new gears... Put the money into a cage and skids!

sounds exactly like my Jeep.

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• sounds exactly like my Jeep.

:driving: And look where your Jeep ended up!!!! ;D :razz: Just Kidding!!

That does sound like some very sound advice for a Daily Driver. If I had to drive mine to work on the highway everyday I certainly wouldn't want to be running on 35s. I know people that do it but I'd say you're better off on 33s.

After going on a couple trips with Captain I'm not sure what size tires he has or exactly what his setup is but he can go through almost anything. He did everything that I did and even one hill climb that I did not. You don't NEED huge tires / lift unless you WANT that look.

• don't forget to think about your wheels and backspacing needs when your planning things out. If your going to run 35's with a 3.5 lift and a 1" body, you will most likely need wheel spacers unless you have/buy a wheel with substancial backspacing.

Oh yeah, for a daily driver 33's = smart, 35's = dumb but looks cool. I'm in the second group. ;D Seriously though, if you have your mind set on a look as much as capabilities, don't settle.

Get what you want, otherwise you be posting those barely used 33's on the swap meet forum in 6 months or so.............I wasted so much money with going from 31's to 33's and a 2" inch lift to 35's and a 4.5" lift.

• I agree with TheMistaken on the body lift. The benefits far outweigh the detriments.
    And definitely do it right the first time. You learn a lot taking baby steps but it is a waste of money.

FWIW, I am happier daily driving my current set-up of 35's on a 4" long arm and BL than my former set-up of 33's on a 4" short arm. It just handles that much better IMO.

• I agree with TheMistaken on the body lift. The benefits far outweigh the detriments.
    And definitely do it right the first time. You learn a lot taking baby steps but it is a waste of money.

FWIW, I am happier daily driving my current set-up of 35's on a 4" long arm and BL than my former set-up of 33's on a 4" short arm. It just handles that much better IMO.

Yes a long arm is way better on the road, but the price is up there generally. If price is not important and you are determined to run 35s. I would get the Clayton 4" Long-arm along with their front adj track bar and drop bracket. Then maybe a body lift and 35s, but you should be able to fit 35s without the body lift. Hoyt, how much room do you have between tires and fenders?

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• Yes a long arm is way better on the road, but the price is up there generally. If price is not important and you are determined to run 35s. I would get the Clayton 4" Long-arm along with their front adj track bar and drop bracket. Then maybe a body lift and 35s, but you should be able to fit 35s without the body lift. Hoyt, how much room do you have between tires and fenders?

From the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender flare = 7.5" in the front and 8" in the rear. Probably add another 2.5" to the actual fender. No rubbing during full flex. Setup is in my sig. There is no reason to shy away from a 1-1.25" body lift. I would rather have that than go with 5.5" springs. It also allows for a TT as well as many aftermarket gas tank skids that buy you another 1.5 - 2" clearance. Couple that with my control arm and sway bar bracket relo above the axles and it is like I am running 37's but with a decently low COG. I am VERY pleased with the full Clayton package.

FWIW I went from a 2" BB and 1.25" BL to my LA setup and skipped all the middle BS steps. As Billy said, if you know what you want, save your money until you can do it in one step. And don't underestimate your rig. TheMistaken can attest to where I took mine on the BB setup on 33's. Just get some LCA skids and a good engine/trans skid and you are all set.

I dont like body lifts because of the lessons i learned from my first Jeep. The body will tend to crack where the mounts are due to body roll from off-roading. so what about a RE 3.5" with 2" coilspring spacers? would that clear 35's? ???

• I have the 4.56s with 35" BFG AT in mine. I think the 4.56 gears are good for DDs that go off road occasionally. Mine will buzz down Rt 1 at 65 mph with no problem.

BTW... Are you guy that I met at Home Depot yesterday, Jason right? :wavey: DE is such a small state!

Yes it is. So obviously i took your advise

• If you don't want a body lift just buy the RE 4.5" lift. Don't do coil spacers on top of the 3.5" springs. 4.5" springs will get you close to 6" of lift anyway.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• If you don't want a body lift just buy the RE 4.5" lift. Don't do coil spacers on top of the 3.5" springs. 4.5" springs will get you close to 6" of lift anyway.

x2 35s are over rated anyway...

• Did I mention I'm going to the Rubicon Trail next year? Ive been doing more research and Im looking into the AEV highline body kit. and I still want to fit 35's. i know that with the fender kit i only need a 2" lift but should I go with Just springs or the whole lift? If i go with just springs will i need anything else like a longer drivshaft? what lift can someone recomend remembering that i dont want to spend too much money on a lift. I need to do what hes doing ---> :bang:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!