What have you done to your Jeep today?

• Dropped it off with Mellowyellow so he can do some fiberglass modifications so I can get more leg room.

It's been fun working on a "real" jeep. Dont think the wife/bank would be very happy if i started cutting out the body on the JKU.

• The rear drum brakes on my 01 Cherokee started making bad noises two days ago and I had to drive the truck to work today because of it. Pull the drums tonight to find a broken spring. New brakes shoes and a spring kit and shes good to go. Now to get to the fuel pump. I'm tired of having to prime it twice to start it every time. I think the check valve is stuck open so she doesn't hold pressure when you shut it down.

• Replaced a messed up pitman arm and TRE. Also adjusted the play out of the sector shaft so I don't waste the seals. Anyone with a Saginaw steering box should keep an eye on that. I can't remember how the newer Mercedes boxes are adjusted.

• Replaced two axleshaft u-joints, one driveshaft u-joint, installed a bolt-on sport cage, touched up the paint under the Jeep from my last trail ride scrapes, and lubed the suspension. I also pcked up my surf tag last week so I'm ready for another summer at the beach!

[img width=1200 height=797]http://www.delawareja.com/gall…nloadItem&g2_itemId=41597[/img]

I know, the speaker wiring needs work.
    [img width=1200 height=810]http://www.delawareja.com/gall…nloadItem&g2_itemId=41600[/img]

• No idea - I just installed it and haven't test it! ;)

In all honesty, I'd like to say yes but I know that a well built and welded cage that is tied in to the frame in at least 4 points would be the strongest. Less possible failure points. I couldn't afford the cost nor the time for a custom welded in one so this was my next best choice.

• It helps prevent the stock cage from collapsing in key certain directions and is pretty strong.

That specific cage was tested in a nasty rollover in Moab [Search for Tracey]
    and Also the owner of RockKrawler had a nasty roll with it and was no worse for the wear.

It's not as strong as a full AtoZ setup but It's a big improvement and chances are total overkill for 95% of the people who own street legal jeeps.

• Stayed busy in the garage today finishing up the rear 4 link and welding new metal into the frame.
    [img width=1200 height=900]http://i.imgur.com/GQu0i6R.jpg[/img]
    The frame mount for UCA (Can anyone pick out the bonehead mistake I made?)
    [img width=1200 height=900]http://i.imgur.com/IgSjrbZ.jpg[/img]
    New metal welded into the frame after the rott was cut out.
    [img width=1200 height=900]http://i.imgur.com/2BvMMgy.jpg[/img]
    4-Link setup all done. My floor jack with a jackstand on it could not lift the frame high enough for me to put in the 6 inch lift springs, so I had to get the wife to install them while I lifted up the back end of the frame. The arms are a wee bit longer than most out of the box kits. I don't plan on re-installing the 'shovel' it had on it before.

If you need wrenching advice feel free to ask! Others experience can be a good way to save time and money!

• How did you like the rustoleum brand? I just finished sanding mine 1/2 hour ago and am going to roll tomorrow. Was thinking herculiner but also looking into rustoleum. I know the herc has a rougher texture but yours looks good.

• How did it run on the trails?

• Matt - The jeep ran great. The ORIs offer so much more control and remove all the punishment my body was taking. The 40" stickys crawl up and over everything - even when it's super wet out. The 1 tons allow me to not even stress when I'm on an ignorant trail. The upgrade removes all the stress that I had when trying to put my Jeep in places it didn't belong. Still found a few things I couldn't tackle, but never could've attempted before the build. Also, unsure of my speed, but I was doing 3,500 rpm in 2nd (high range) on one of the access roads ... which was exhilarating.

As far as the Jeep, it's not exactly done, but usable. I have a qwirk in the steering to work out. And as money allows, would like to change a few things still.

Bill - I had asked DND to make me some removable door bars. During the project, I had figured out I could spend less, ease the install, and make it more trail worthy if I took it off the street. So when that decision was made, I asked Aaron to weld in the door bars. I ended up leaving the driver's side door bar at DND when I picked up the Jeep so Aaron built one for me at the tail end of the project. Not sure if you saw a pic with the passenger removed, or the driver's side missing earlier. Part of the reason of upgrading was so I could bring it back on the street and not worry about anything breaking or wearing prematurely, but as I considered it, I just end up driving it on the trails much more than I go down to the beach (I kinda think the beach is more fun), but it was worth it to me to remove it from the street. Plus, I have sara's jeep :)

• Modded my center console a little. Removed the front cupholders so that I could slide the console fwd another 8" or so. I then removed the amp off of the rear tailgate and bolted it to the side of the console. It's a tight fit between the seats but I made it work. Then I removed my Maglite mount from the floor beside the drivers seat and mounted it into the inside of the console. This will keep it out of the weather and away from theives.

Also picked up an axe as part of my recovery/survival gear. Sweedish steel military axe. I had a roll of green paracord (50') and decided to wrap the handle. Provides a real nice grip for use and I managed to get 32' of the cord wound (double wrapped) as the handle. Now the cord's there if ever needed in an emergency.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!