Differential Protection

• While Aaron was speaking at the 101 thing one of the things he highly recommended was protecting your front and rear differentials. I wanted to take a look and see what was out there and how much it cost so I could start planning that purchase. I found this. http://www.quadratec.com/products/16238_1305.htm

It looks pretty strong and like it would protect the diff and the end of the drive shaft. BUT it looks like it would hang at least 2-3 inches below the normal bottom of the diff so that would reduce ground clearance and possibly cause you to get hung up on a rock. Am I crazy or do you think the same thing?

What is recommended for giving us the protection that Aaron was suggesting?

• I have repaired way to many differential sliders.. THey are essentially worthless in that they continually break and once you reinfoce them, they catch everything you try to "slide" over.. As has been said invest in a good cover, rockcrusher covers are cheap and you certainly arent going to break them and they are strong enough that they won't peel off which is the problem with the thin rear covers

• X2 on the above. Find a good cover, Tuff Stuff, Ox, ARB, Rockcrusher, etc. Any would be fine.
    Front for impact and the rear to prevent pealing (and some impact.)

If you are set on protecting your pinion and drive shaft u-joints, I run one of these:
    It gives you the same clearance with a smoother sliding area.

Nth Slider

I bought mine used for $75 and it was a great investment IMO but you'll have to follow Ian's advice in the other thread and move to a D44 unless you can fab it to work.

• Billy has a sweet rear skid that also protects the pinion yoke and u joint. But if you go the route that Ed suggested of an 8.8 or Dana 44 (both WAY better than yur d35) then you might as well hold off on a rear one.

The Rancho, Dynotrac, Poison Spider.....and any of the other nodular (ductile) iron diff cover, with the exception of the CRANE Hi Clearance ones, are all the same. The crane one is a lip-less design. They are all about $140 for the Dana 30.

I wanted to get the Crane ones befor i sold my other YJ

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• Damit, I start typing look up prices, get distracted, and get beat on a post again. :bsflag: :bsflag:

I quit...

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• diff covers are an essential component of armor for anyone who wheels. i am a big proponent of armor. i think differential protection should always be one of the first upgrades for anyone who is ready to start some serious wheeling.

i highly recommend this one:

http://www.ruffstuffspecialtie…5bd421bab50cdd26dc9b2745f
    they are arguably the strongest covers made, and dan's customer service can't be beat.

me and my ruffstuff diff covers have beat the living snot out of quite a few unsuspecting rocks. :innocent:

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• This is what I have

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12011_800.htm

3/8" thick. $115 plus shipping. It's not bling, but it works. I'd see if you can find it cheaper somewhere other than quadratec or even another brand for cheaper. I have found that the less I spend on the happier I am :)

Maybe someone would wanna measure mine and be willing to fabricate some up. I'd be willing to take mine off to help out.

EDIT: didn't see john's post when he edited it. I like his more cause it's cheaper (painting it should be easy) :)

• plus, it's bent and welded .375 steel, which (correct me if i am wrong) is stronger than cast. the rugged ridge, ARB, rockcrushers, riddlers, et al. are cast.

the ring on my ruffstuff covers are 1/2" thick!

i'm kinda hard on them :laughing:

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I think any of them are more than adequate...more of a price issue IMHO. The rockcrushers on my 60's have been through hell and, while they've got a few scars, they are no worse for the wear. Of course I go them while they were stupid cheap online...if I had to do covers now I'd likely to the ruffstuff kits at $88/per.

--Ian

• Or...

Instead of pissing away ~$100 on a cover that's more substantial than the housing it's protecting take that money and apply it towards a new/better rear... :shrug:

... and then buy a diff cover for it. ;D

~ JD

• http://www.ruffstuffspecialtie…3cdf5e2f798ae0141395264cf

I can't believe that there is a 2 page thread on this... I got tired of reading as soon as it hit sliders... Run these and call it a day. Not sure if anyone else has posted them or not already, but they are great! Get em through me and i can get you free shipping and have em in a week.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• http://www.ruffstuffspecialtie…5bd421bab50cdd26dc9b2745f
    they are arguably the strongest covers made, and dan's customer service can't be beat.

me and my ruffstuff diff covers have beat the living snot out of quite a few unsuspecting rocks. :innocent:

http://www.ruffstuffspecialtie…3cdf5e2f798ae0141395264cf
    Run these and call it a day. Not sure if anyone else has posted them or not already, but they are great!

STOP saying what i say!

~ JD

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!