Air Down Tool...

• I use my stauns all the time and once there set their great. I have mine down to 12 and have never had a problem. Recently I picked up a military one that you can adjust from 2 - 12 lbs with the twist of a knob and I love that one also. Only problem with that one is that it's only one instead of my stauns having 4.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I agree.

If you are looking for speed, I used to use this and it worked well.
    http://www.quadratec.com/products/95202_451.htm

Staun's or similar are nice but weren't worth the money to me.

I used Billy's Accu-Gauge last time we were at RC and it worked great. Just make sure you follow the instructions I didn't put one of my valve stems back in just right and it leaked until the tire was flat not to the rim but flat. I had to take it to the tire store and they fixed it for me.

• I have been using the ones that Stafford linked to for about 5 years....11 bucks and they do the trick. Just don't leave them on too long or you will lose all your air. By the way...I always ran 6 psi in my old CJ. That is the only way I could get traction with those SSR's. Ran them that way for bout 5 years....never broke a bead! They were mounted on M/T Classic 2's....for some reason they have a lip around the inside of the rim....maybe that's why they always stayed seated....not sure, but during a hillclimb on one trip at RC.. I ripped the valve stem off..i took the tire down to the tire shop at the bottom of the hill...to have the stem replaced...the guy couldn't get the tire off the rim, it took him about 30 minutes and he was ready to give up...he finally got it.

• Well no one seems to be offering much help with the getting stuck thing, and I have been told to air down and not. I figured if I'm going to try and take the jeep on the surf in the OBX I don't want to get stuck in the super soft sand down there. I thought I should get an air down tool. Maybe I'm just playing with myself and I just don't have a clue... :shrug:

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• Well no one seems to be offering much help with the getting stuck thing, and I have been told to air down and not. I figured if I'm going to try and take the jeep on the surf in the OBX I don't want to get stuck in the super soft sand down there. I thought I should get an air down tool. Maybe I'm just playing with myself and I just don't have a clue... :shrug:

You need to get out on the beach with us and let us check your Jeep out.

Hard to diagnose/fix some things over the internet.

Nothing wrong with having a tool to air down, beats holding a twig or key in there to do it.

Depending where you go in OBX some of their sand is quite firm.

• I'll chat with some guys at the ESJA picnic this weekend at Trap Pond an see what they say. Maybe they will help me figure it out on their land.

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• I'll chat with some guys at the ESJA picnic this weekend at Trap Pond an see what they say. Maybe they will help me figure it out on their land.

Oh, if you go to the land and there's something not working properly with your 4WD, you will know it pretty quick. ;D

• The sand down at the outer banks is much different than here. I drove out there in my 3/4 ton diesel pickup and had no probs at all. A friend followed in his dodge 1500. Niether of us had any issues and niether of us aired down. The sand seems to be finer but not as loose if that makes any sence.
    My .02

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Edited once, last by 2000sahara ().

• I have been using the ones that Stafford linked to for about 5 years....11 bucks and they do the trick. Just don't leave them on too long or you will lose all your air. By the way...I always ran 6 psi in my old CJ. That is the only way I could get traction with those SSR's. Ran them that way for bout 5 years....never broke a bead! They were mounted on M/T Classic 2's....for some reason they have a lip around the inside of the rim....maybe that's why they always stayed seated....not sure, but during a hillclimb on one trip at RC.. I ripped the valve stem off..i took the tire down to the tire shop at the bottom of the hill...to have the stem replaced...the guy couldn't get the tire off the rim, it took him about 30 minutes and he was ready to give up...he finally got it.

Jwalks old 33 ssrs did the same thing. When they broke the bead, it actually left a large chunk of the tire still attatched to the rim.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• The sand down at the outer banks is much different than here. I drove out there in my 3/4 ton diesel pickup and had no probs at all. A friend followed in his dodge 1500. Niether of us had any issues and niether of us aired down. The sand seems to be finer but not as loose if that makes any sence.
    My .02

A lot of the big houses down there especially in the North have only beach access.

This means everything that built the house and filled it got there via the beach.

I was amazed to see dry-wall delivery trucks flying down the beach.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!