Ready to Go DEEP

• Alright, as being just out of ownership of my first jeep, which has really been enjoyable, i would like to go deep into offroading.

I would like to go up to RC sometime here before summer, but it would be my first time at RC but not wheelin'.
    So heres how my JEEP is set up.
    96 Grand Cherokee
    4.0L
    4.5" Iron Rock Offroad
    Open/Open
    31" Mud Terrians (maybe be bigger here shortly)
    8K SmittyBuilt Winch
    Recovery points front and rear.
    I have a fullsize spare but it is of a AT2
    CB

So My question is what types of trails could i run with very very little to no body damage (pinstripping is fine but no dents or that stuff). So what types of trails, when is there a lead group, and i do plan on becoming a member her shortly to.

Just trying to figure out what will be the best to start going in DEEP... Also any suggestions to do to my jeep before i go, that i dont already have.

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee: <br />4.0L - 4.5&quot; Long Arm - D44&#039;s Locked - 33&quot; M/TR&#039;s <br />XRC 8K Winch - Daily Beater / Offroad Machine<br />1970 Chevy Nova: Rowdy Street Car

• There are folks with more time at RC than I, but I would suggest starting on Greens, then try some low Blues and decide from there. Most Blues have a choice of lines that will vary the difficulty level and chance of damage. And if you want to spend your money on anything, skidplates. You can drag a low vehicle across most anything with good skids but once you rip a hole in the oil pan your day is pretty much done. ;D

• RC tends to be rated pretty 'heavy' on their trails (at least as compared to how PAP was)...I'd say you'd be fine w/ the amount of clearance you have for most blue trails (and a few of their blue/black rated ones). For reference PM joshill about her experience, she's got a bone stock TJ complete with side steps and has been on a few blues and at least one blue/black :suspicious: She's taken a few of the bypasses but save for a little undercarriage scraping she's come out unscathed...with the lift and tires you have you'd make out even better. Biggest suggestion would be to attend a ride and go with the easy group, it will give you an opportunity to judge for yourself what you're comfort level is and whether you think you or your rig is ready for more.

--Ian

• Rausch Creek is wide open compared to most places. I was on that last run Ian was talking about with a stock four door JK and didn't even come close to body damage. As said, you'll just have to be careful with your underside.

The Feb 20th run will have a good variety of levels wheeling so it would be great to see you out there.
    http://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?topic=27505.0

• all i can say is i saw the title of this thread and was thinking something totally different

• Yeah i remember talking to you when i bought my wheels, Which i LOVE BTW, and you mentioning skids...

the problem with the zj is the lack of good skids, since they are seeming to be growing in populatiry just recently, the new skid from IRO just came out, but the stock gas tank one is about the only one aviable, and thats about it really.

im thinking of buying sliders... or making them, cause that seems to be the one area that the zjs seem to chew up. but working saturdays can really jam me up, hopefully i can get off and join you all up at RC

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee: <br />4.0L - 4.5&quot; Long Arm - D44&#039;s Locked - 33&quot; M/TR&#039;s <br />XRC 8K Winch - Daily Beater / Offroad Machine<br />1970 Chevy Nova: Rowdy Street Car

• Highly recommend getting rock sliders. It's the most likely place to hit for us long wheelbase guys. JCR has some nice ones. That and diff covers, the front one first.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• THanks... Keep em coming, Anything i should know about RC for newbs?

• Thanks. i would probably bring snacks and such, now how far is it away, and would it be best to camp there the night after wheelin? would anyone be doing that? and if i were to drive home, whats the best way to get the mud off the rims... for some reason even if i hit a wet puddle mud seems to cake my inside of wheels and give a nice shimmy that drives me crazy.

also whats some stuff to bring other then the no brainers like straps, first aid kit, jumper cables, tire gauge, and some fluids for me and for the jeep. like tools, spare parts, clothes anything for sugestions...

what should i expect with the trails.

• Advice for a RC newbie... If the water hole is on the map, stay out of it! ;) or if you see a sign with a name on it near the hole. :)

as far as gear, a recovery strap (no hooks) and a jack plus a spare tire.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• There are bypasses on almost every serious obstacle, there really is nothing to worry about at RC. Choose the level of trail you find comfortable and have fun with and go to town. Oh yeah, definitely stop at wawa and get lunchmeat and rolls.

• For reference PM joshill about her experience, she's got a bone stock TJ complete with side steps and has been on a few blues and at least one blue/black :suspicious:

I thought I felt my ears burning... no really, if you can get the chance to go on a DEJA ride at RC, take it! These guys (and gals) are alot of fun, really helpful and knowledgeable about the park. I've gone twice and rode up early then rode home after, it's about 2 1/2 hours from Wilmington, depending on the route you take. The camping there is on-site in the parking lot and that is what it is, not alot of privacy and probably really cold this time of year. If you can't make Saturdays, try to post a new thread with a date you want to go and see if people post up.
    Take the advice from earlier, start with the easy group and see what you're comfortable with. And depending on the lines you pick, you can walk over stuff or really test out your equipment. My personal experience, if you're following Randy and have Ian spotting, you'll be fine! And I've heard my pic...

looks pretty Tuff for a stocker

• Yeah im really itching to go.

Pat How many times have you been up there. Cause if i could i would like to go with some people i know already. And i would like to meet some new faces.

• 5 or 6 times for me and its hella fun every time. I don't mean to volunteer wayne or John, but if you go with either of those 2 guys you are set. Waiting on a set of Longfield chromoly CV shafts and I'll be there feb 20th if i can get them in.

• if i didnt have my brothers wedding and a good friends wedding on the next couple saturdays i would be all over going on the 20th, but cant take off to many saturdays my boss said... and if you need help putting them in i can help you out. just give me a shout. always willing to help you.

• by description of your rig, it sounds like you are set to run easy blues and move up from there as you feel comfortable.

Highly recommend getting rock sliders. It's the most likely place to hit for us long wheelbase guys. JCR has some nice ones. That and diff covers, the front one first.

x2
    i always recommend a front diff cover as a good place to start when someone is looking to add to your build for wheeling rocks. sliders are a bit more expensive, but they are always a good mod.

5 or 6 times for me and its hella fun every time. I don't mean to volunteer wayne or John, but if you go with either of those 2 guys you are set.

thanks, Pat. nick, i loathe body damage. you can wheel your rig and keep it looking nice for the road. come on out to one of our runs!

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• thanks John... i always liked your helpfulness on the forum, and in a way kinda look up to you. Im defantlly goign to have to go on a ride, ima have to look at the schedule, or get a sunday ride together.

yeah im thinking about making sliders. they are not out of my reach for fab work... if i had my own welder id be building my long arms....

which are some good dif cover for decent.... and im thinking of going to trutrac when i regear... (i like to use 4wdft in snow and slick roads) and plus i need a new carrier to go up any.... and im thinking of just doing alloy shafts and a trutrac rear. cause im not going anybigger then 33's untill its just a trail rig then ill worry about it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!