is it legal to ride a cherokee without doors?

• Play a little dumb and apologetic.

EXACTLY!! 90% of the time your fine in a Wrangler but it's that 10% that always got me in trouble :suspicious:

Good thing I have lot's of cops in the family and friends circle. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I had never been told why but it was my understanding you could be ticketed in PA for running without doors. Thats why I was asking for clarification from Wolverine.

Up until 1986, doors were optional on Jeeps (CJ's). PA requires doors if factory equipped therefore doors are mandatory on "wranglers" after 86. I'll try to look up the applicable codes tomorrow when I get time.

That said...I run half the summer with no doors in PA and never have a problem. I think many police around me really think it is legal. Be careful if you go to the PAJeeps show though. The York police have caught on and seem to enjoy making money off of doorless Jeeps. :police:

Fixed typo

• I had never been told why but it was my understanding you could be ticketed in PA for running without doors. Thats why I was asking for clarification from Wolverine.

Yes you can be ticketed I was pulled over in my old CJ without doors. the only reason I didn't get a ticket is I was a FD member. That is why I run tube doors with mirrors on them(stock YJ mirrors mounted on weld on tubes) in the summer. I was never hasseled with the tube doors.

• Yes you can be ticketed I was pulled over in my old CJ without doors. the only reason I didn't get a ticket is I was a FD member. That is why I run tube doors with mirrors on them(stock YJ mirrors mounted on weld on tubes) in the summer. I was never hasseled with the tube doors.

Being pulled over and actually guilty are two different things. ;D You would have had a legitimate argument in court Percy.
    Owning a few trucks has taught me that the police can often misinterpret or not fully know vehicular codes. :doh:

• Bill I could be wrong but I remember being at a BMJA meeting when this topic came up and thought that it was determined that after 1971 or 1973 you could not buy a Jeep (CJ) without door so any Jeep (CJ & Wrangler) built after that was required to have some sort of doors. :shrug: :driving:

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• I remember two years ago, the cops in Chadds Ford were nailing Jeeps going to the Quadratech sale for doors, mirrors, and tires protruding past fender flares.

• I remember two years ago, the cops in Chadds Ford were nailing Jeeps going to the Quadratech sale for doors, mirrors, and tires protruding past fender flares.

Sounds like Birmingham or Westtown/East Goshen Police :bang: :cuss:

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• Being pulled over and actually guilty are two different things. ;D You would have had a legitimate argument in court Percy.
    Owning a few trucks has taught me that the police can often misinterpret or not fully know vehicular codes. :doh:

I told the Trooper doors were a option he said it didn't matter if they came on it it needed doors. So I went home grabbed my old soft doors cut the fabric off and cut the window bar off and end of problem never got pulled over after that. Then I got tube doors for the YJ.

• When i lived in TX i even went to inspection without doors (bought a rolled jeep and didnt have any) and the guy was just happy i waited until it was a nice day to bring it in for the road test.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!