Alignment Tool

• Looking for a tool to make doing a driveway alignment easier. I was reading a forum and someone mentioned that Harbor Frieght sells a laser guided alignment tool so that your measurement for toe in is right on. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? I did my alignment last time using a tape measure and my wife as the holder and got the job done.... but I'd rather use a easier approch. I don't mind spending the money because it will save me in the long run.

• Looking for a tool to make doing a driveway alignment easier. I was reading a forum and someone mentioned that Harbor Frieght sells a laser guided alignment tool so that your measurement for toe in is right on. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? I did my alignment last time using a tape measure and my wife as the holder and got the job done.... but I'd rather use a easier approch. I don't mind spending the money because it will save me in the long run.

Use something straight like a couple 4' levels or some angle iron and bungee them to the outside of the tires.

Take your measurements from there.

• Matt. Did you follow project JK's writeup because I will be attempting to do mine this weekend as well as inspecting all components in the front end due to experiencing DW last night.

• Matt. Did you follow project JK's writeup because I will be attempting to do mine this weekend as well as inspecting all components in the front end due to experiencing DW last night.

Yup, thats the one I went by. The alignment was really to do but I had a lot of problems re-centering the steering wheel. I would offer to give you a hand but I'll be at RC this weekend putting my jeep out of alignment. :laughing:

• Yup, thats the one I went by. The alignment was really to do but I had a lot of problems re-centering the steering wheel. I would offer to give you a hand but I'll be at RC this weekend putting my jeep out of alignment. :laughing:

Ok good deal. Thats what I was planning on going by. How was the re-centering hard to do because that is what I feel I need done the most. How did you go about doing it because I have not found a writeup for that yet.

Yea I wish I could be going up this weekend but family function Saturday. But propably a good thing though because I need to fix some thing on the Jeep before I head back to rebrake them. :laughing:

• I never did get the wheel perfectly centered. Everytime I would adjust it to center and then back out of my drive way it would go off to the left a little bit. But I just did a once over after getting back from RC this weekend and my jeep is perfectly aligned and the steering wheel is perfectly centered now. So maybe I did bend something last time but now it has been corrected. :shrug: I just know when I tried correcting the center myself the first time I was getting really frustrated with it.

• A friend of mine has an old alignment tool (about 60 years old). It's made out of 2 lengths of thin wall tubing. One length slides into the other and is spring loaded. There's a ruler graduation on the smaller tube. You simply put the tool between the backside of the front tires and take the measurement. Then you put the tool in on the front side of the front tires and adjust the tie rod length to be ¼" shorter. It seems pretty basic in theory.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Matt, I finally got the time to do an alignment this week and when I loosend the bolt from the clamp on the tierod to turn the adjuster I could not turn that sucker for the life of me. What did you use to turn the adjuster because I tried everything that I could think of and it was not budging.

I am planning on attempting this again when I get home tonight from work because I have again experienced DW after I thought I resolved that problem. So I need to get the jeep aligned then replace the tierod with the rock krawler tierod that just came in and well as replace my trackbar and check the bolt holes to make sure they are not again wallowed out, which I hope they are not.

• Mine was really hard to get to turn too. I used a towel to protect the finish and used a pipe with a mallet and it finally broke free, After that it was easy to turn.

• Well finally got some time to give it another try again last night. Went out and used the PB Blaster and let it soak then tried to turn the adjuster and again it would not budge. So, then I went on spraying more PB Blaster and letting it soak for a few min then trying again and again and again. Well after like 2 hours of this and using a full can of PB Blaster, vice grips, pipe wrench still nothing.

So, apparently I need some help because I can not get this thing to turn at all. I am hoping that someone might be available to help me out because I am trying to avoid taking it in to get this done. But will as a last resort.

Would anyone be available to lend me a hand with setting my toe-in.

• PM Sent

• For what it's worth, I take my jeep to Curt at Hansen's Safety Service on Governor Printz Blvd in North Wilmington. He's right behind where Holly Oak 4x4 used to be. He charges $65.

Good guy that does great work.

Mike

Clever quotes added to a person's signature only aim to add more weight to an otherwise feeble point.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!