100,000 miles....should've never said anything (with pics page 3!)

• I hit 100,000 miles last night. At 100,041turned into Newark Shopping Center and heard a bang, similar to the last time I blew the spider gears out. Then after I left it did it again. Parked the jeep......now waiting to get off tonight and hopefully tow it to my house to open it up.

Hoping its not badly damaged.

What could cause repeated breaks of spider gears? It's a D35 with 3.73 gears.

Anyone have a D44 or 8.8??? :bang:

• I got a Dana 44 but it's from a Wagoneer.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Hopefully, that's all it is.

Not a real expensive fix considering the other possibilities.

Yea, really hoping. I haven't opened it up yet. I got it home last night.

How much are we talking to get a D44 in the rear if I got my hands on one from a junkyard. Like shock brackets and short arm mounts? How much and where can I get that work done?

• It might be a combination of larger tires, the fact that a D35 is the weaker axle, and driving like you stole it while responding. :innocent:

Heh, not right now. Work has taken a lot of my volunteer time. I've been babying it to get every bit above 12MPG right now. I've been getting pretty successful.

• Yea, really hoping. I haven't opened it up yet. I got it home last night.

How much are we talking to get a D44 in the rear if I got my hands on one from a junkyard. Like shock brackets and short arm mounts? How much and where can I get that work done?

You really aren't going to find a D44 that will fit a TJ unless it comes out of a TJ.

There may have been a few 44's in XJ's but they are pretty rare.

8.8's are easier to find.

Here's a TJ bracket kit for sale: http://www.marylandjeepclub.or…iewtopic.php?f=12&t=20925

• There are few more variables involved with the 8.8. I know with Jwalks, all the brackets had to be ground down and fit to the 8.8 axle tube since its a bit thicker...Not a huge deal but a PIA nontheless. Also because the axle tubes are larger he could not run the same springs in the front and rear. Currently he has re 3.5" springs in the rear and re 4.5" springs in the front. You could probably leave the 3.5s in the rear and just add a spacer in the front but then your changing your lift height. Also I believe you will need a different pinion yolk. Finally you will have to rig up some kinda ebrake to work with the disc brakes (if you want an ebrake). Make sure you weigh all of your options before you jump into it. My .02.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I would go 8.8. At the JY in Kenton, they have a ton of 8.8 3.73 posi axles, that way you wouldn't have to regear. Most of the brackets I've seen are for either the D44 or D60 and you have to grind to fit, Iron Rock Offroad has the brackets made for the 8.8 and all of the swap parts. Another problem is the 8.8 are shorter by 1 1/4" so 5/8" spacers are need to set the wheels back to stock. For the E-Brake you can make your own brackets and I believe the the 8.8 make the rear 3/8 taller than the stock D35.

8.8 Swap Parts
    http://www.ironrockoffroad.com…e=IROR&Category_Code=F88S

Measurements and write up
    http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/8.8axle/8.8axle-1.htm

Quick dana 35 test: kick one of the rear tires. If the axle breaks, it&#039;s a 35<br />01 TJ Sahara<br />TJ- 4.0 5spd, 8.8, RE 4.5&quot; lift, RC X-Flex Arms, 1&quot; BL w/ MM Lift, Clayton/JKS Trackbars, 33&#039;s, Rusty&#039;s Rock Bumpers, XRC Sliders, PIAA&#039;s, Delta H4 Conv, CB, Skids<br />Future Mods: Going back to 3&quot; springs with Johnny Joints on all the arms.

• Its out of Grand wagoner they have the stock gears in them 600 is for us to install them plus the rears now if he wants to regear it which he is going to have to that is extra.US IS BOZOS OFF ROAD

• Its out of Grand wagoner they have the stock gears in them 600 is for us to install them plus the rears now if he wants to regear it which he is going to have to that is extra.US IS BOZOS OFF ROAD

So that would include the TJ brackets welded on??

That axle would be 6 lug, correct??

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!