YJ springs...CJ frame.

• What's up everyone,

I have a 1972 CJ5 frame in great condition. I have a complete 1978 CJ5 Jeep, with a rotten frame. I would like to start building up the 72 frame by putting YJ 4 inch lift springs on it. (From JonzJeep)

I have a basic idea how to do this mod. I am asking anyone that may have knowledge of this mod to chime in and point me in the right direction.

Also, I am looking for YJ spring hangers and perches that would work for this mod if anyone has anything laying around.

I'll try to get some pictures up as this mod takes place.

-Snapper

• If you want to outboard contact Deadfeet on the board. He cut all the materials for the mod and brought them by when I installed his axles and welded it up for him. I think I havee some stock shackle but no bolts if you want them. Also you can use rear cj7 hangers in the front if you turn them around.

• I do believe you will find that the front portion of the 2 frames are no the same length. I think 73 was the first year of the longer fronts. Might have been 71 but 73 Is in my brain for some reason

• Not sure what outboarding is... I'll try doing some research on that. From the looks of it the 72 frame is shorter in the front so I was thinking either extendinding the front of the 72 frame or moving the spring mounts back under the Jeep towards the middle. I'll talk with Deadfeet and see what he has to say. Thanks

• Saw some 72 frames with outborded spring online but they were running big wide axles. I plan to use my narrow trac axles so I will just mount to the bottom of the frame. I have a better understanding now. I will go about getting the mounts and such and should be able to pull this off relatively easily.

Thanks again
    -Snapper

• If you want to outboard contact Deadfeet on the board. He cut all the materials for the mod and brought them by when I installed his axles and welded it up for him. I think I havee some stock shackle but no bolts if you want them. Also you can use rear cj7 hangers in the front if you turn them around.

not to hijack the thread or anything, but I have been doing some research on this and it looks like a great option. I am planning on doing it to my cj6, since i am also already doing the yj spring mod

• Aaron outboarded my springs as well. I went spring over and shackle reversal using beefed up YJ springs on Wagoneer axles. I think I have a few spare leafs laying around if anyone wants them to add to their stock spring set.

To do mine, we used a BTF kit that incorporated a front bumper.

If you're lifting that much you may want to look into wider axles.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• John,
    So 4 inches of lift might be to much for narrow trac axles? If I went with wider axles than outboarding is the way to go?
    Thanks,
    -Snapper

• Well remember, the cj5 was already notorious for the rollover factor... add to that a lift. if you do less lift you eould be fine with the same axles. Check out earlycj5.com. there is a writeup for putting yj springs on a cj5. Just changing over to stock yj springs from stock cj5 gives you about 1.75 inches of lift if I remember right, so 4 inch yj springs would be more like 5.75 inches

• Cool, I will take that into consideration. Thanks again for all the guidance...now I can make some educated decisions about how to go forward.

• I ran with about 4" of lift for a while with narrow track axles and never had an issue but I do remember having Glen hanging off my nerf bar to keep me from rolling over at the ESJA land.

Well remember, the cj5 was already notorious for the rollover factor...

I've heard where that was something blown out of proportion back in the day. BUT, wider springs were used in later CJs.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• If you keep it spring under you will be fine, and that is what I recommend with a fiver.
    Never had a problem with 4" springs on a narrow track, and am actually in the process of converting over to yj springs, at least in the rear, as soon as I can get a cage installed and everything weighed. It will be spring under with 4".

If you choose to go spring over then, yes you will need to outboard and probably need to pick up a different set of springs depending on what tire you plan on running and how you plan on using it. I do not know that you will like the feel of it on a five though, at least I did not. It is fairly easy to swap back though....and yes I know from experience :bang:

• Only time you need to outboard springs is when going to a Dana 44 or bigger up front. It has nothing to do with spring over or under. The reason is because of the size of the differential.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• OK great info...plan is to go with 4 inch YJ spring and keep the original narrow trac axles with spring under axles.

• All of them, unless you get a reducing type of shackle fabricated for the shackle mount end and then only one end for each spring will need to be replaced
    With it being a 72, I imagine the existing shackle mounts are near shot anyway?

• It was a while ago, it was all of them....my swap was a bit off due to being shackle reversed, but that was not a big difference. I do remember trying to get away with putting a couple washers in on both sides of the mount for the shackle side mount of the front axle. It didn't work....ate up bushings like mad.....I ended up just welding a new piece of pipe on to the existing mount.....that worked fine.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!