auto to manual

• I have read all of the writeups about changing from automatic to manual, and I know that they say just sell the jeep and buy a new one. But I'm not gonna sell my jeep. How much of a pain is it and has anybody done it.

• Fairly simple for a tj becase they are not computer controled. You need a flex plate, (maybe a pilot bearing), trans, gear secector of some kind (can get aftermarket or junk yard), swap tc input shafts and redo the driveshafts and your done.

Aaron

• Have to also change out the harmonic balancer.

Cheapest thing to do.. Buy a manual jeep, swap drive trains, re-sell with auto trans for a small profit. Quite honestly, thisis the best option, take out a loan, buy one, and resell. You might make some good money, Right now is one of the best times to buy a used Jeep, and late spring is one of the best times to sell. Buy one with a Hard and soft top and sell the hard top separate for extra $$.

I used to know a guy that would buy, do quick fix ups,and sell Jeeps. He only bought Jeeps with hard tops and full doors. Then he would fix them up, slap on a new soft top, sell the doors and hard top separate, and make some very nice money.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• Have to also change out the harmonic balancer.

Ummm why?

BTW...Good luck finding one in the junk yard that isnt completely picked through. Id look for a wrecked one or something someone is parting out.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Fairly simple for a tj becase they are not computer controled. You need a flex plate, (maybe a pilot bearing), trans, gear secector of some kind (can get aftermarket or junk yard), swap tc input shafts and redo the driveshafts and your done.

Aaron

Did you read this wrong?

He wants to go TO manual.

He will need a flywheel not a flex plate.

He'll also need the pedal assy, master, bell housing with slave, etc.

• yup read it wrong. no harmonic balancer change. Jeepkid is wrong you do need to change the input on the tc. you computer will be fine it has no inputs to the trans it only runs the motor. may need to ground out the park sensor to start it. keith is right do need the pedals and a clutch and flywheel. it will all bolt in. have done the swap in the oposite direction.
    Aaron

• yup read it wrong. no harmonic balancer change. Jeepkid is wrong you do need to change the input on the tc. you computer will be fine it has no inputs to the trans it only runs the motor. may need to ground out the park sensor to start it. keith is right do need the pedals and a clutch and flywheel. it will all bolt in. have done the swap in the oposite direction.
    Aaron

x2...done it the other way as well (wait...that sounds bad. :doh: )

Two points:

-t/c input is shorter on the manuals. I used my manual one on the auto swap with no issues but to go auto->manual you will need to either swap it or shorten it (pretty common to just chop it)

-you definitely will need to ground the neutral safety switch (or if you want to do it 'right' run it to a clutch switch)

--Ian

• Fairly simple for a tj becase they are not computer controled.

That's only partially true.

On 03-06 TJ's with the 42RLE the PCM interfaces heavily with the TCM.

And even on pre '03, the PCM controls the locking of the torque converter.

Wouldn't be a problem going this direction, but if someone wanted to put his auto into a manual TJ they would need a different PCM. Or rig up a switch, but that would get old quick.

• Ok guys , while we are on this topic LOL ..... Just spoke with jay and if we can get things in order we may swap them out , but i have a ton of questions as usual . The major question is I have a 1997 2.5 ltr and he has a 2001 4.0ltr . I know of the normal stuff like the pedals and such but im more concerned about the computer and transfer case , and drive shafts , and trans cooler . thanks Howie

• a guy wants to switch his manual transmission out of his 1997 4cly. into my 2001 auto 6 cyl.and put my transmission in his jeep, will it work

Most of that is covered in the previous posts.

Anything is possible.

Probably not something you are going to do over a weekend.

Just curious, why do you want to ditch the auto?

• Ok guys , while we are on this topic LOL ..... Just spoke with jay and if we can get things in order we may swap them out , but i have a ton of questions as usual . The major question is I have a 1997 2.5 ltr and he has a 2001 4.0ltr . I know of the normal stuff like the pedals and such but im more concerned about the computer and transfer case , and drive shafts , and trans cooler . thanks Howie

( modified) the 2.5 ltr is manual and the 4.0 is auto

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!