auto to manual

• i have been looking into this for quite some time. to the best of my knowledge, computers DO need to be switched. I talked to mferrari and he said that because the DMV now runs a computer check instead of just an emissions test, and because the computers have the vehicle's vin on them, they will always fail the computer test at the DMV for some reason (i talked to him a month or two ago, and don't remember exactly the words he used).

• i have been looking into this for quite some time. to the best of my knowledge, computers DO need to be switched. I talked to mferrari and he said that because the DMV now runs a computer check instead of just an emissions test, and because the computers have the vehicle's vin on them, they will always fail the computer test at the DMV for some reason (i talked to him a month or two ago, and don't remember exactly the words he used).

So what happens when you fry your computer and get a new one at the junk yard?

• good question. i'm not claiming to know anything about the computers themselves, I am simply restating what i was told. I believe that he said you need to send the computers out to get them reflashed or something? Idk if that makes any sense. Like i said, just relaying info I was given!

• So what happens when you fry your computer and get a new one at the junk yard?

Technically you have to go to the dealer and have the vin and mileage programmed.

But, no one is talking about swapping PCM's.

One is 1997 and the other 2001, not a good idea.

• Honestly dont know if the OBD2 will throw a code that will cause a fail at the dmv. This may be the case but it will not have an effect on the functioning of the jeep if you swap the trans. A am sure a flash update from the dealer or aftermarket programer can fix it. Wasnt sure when the swap for the auto happened. That trans is still another updated Chrysler727. THe RH refers to a hydraulicly controled shift, as opposed to an RE which would be electronically shifted. You should beable to get parts from a 2001-2006 tj with the 5spd if you are looking for a donor. If you can get the trans, bellhousing, pedles and trans mount plate the rest can be bought from a parts store. You could be into this for $1000-2000 depending on how patient you are for parts.

Aaron

• A you drive a yj the jokes on you.

check my sig. there bud and learn how to read :doh: ...and i was telling you that it's a TERRIBLE idea to even try to mate an AX-5 with the 4.0 but hey go for it if you don't believe me, you'll find out soon enough :laughing: :bang:

• Two years ago before I was deployed my yj equipped with a 2.5 four banger and ax5 was used up so I bought this for 800.00 had the motor, trans, t case, and complete harness everything I needed for a swap, I know you don't want to do a complete swap but this is the kind of jeep you need to look for, but the real question is what is your final goal.

It was alot of work, and expensive, but not impossible and I enjoyed the swap. But I have a few questions, have you lifted your jeep, did you re gear? Why is your jeep so special that you can't sell it and get another with a 4.0 and manual? If it just has a basic lift and some bolt ons I would take off what I could and sell the old and find another, just a thought, if you want to go through with the swap you need to find a parts jeep.. Or somone parting somthing out, but that still means the trans might need to be rebuilt, just some info,

check my sig. there bud and learn how to read :doh: ...and i was telling you that it's a TERRIBLE idea to even try to mate an AX-5 with the 4.0 but hey go for it if you don't believe me, you'll find out soon enough :laughing: :bang:

He's right the ax-5 is a turd no matter what you do, it's a poor design and will fail, a ticking time bomb even for a stock jeep. But a simple search on google would answer alot of your questions.

Take a look at this site

http://www.novak-adapt.com/

Btw why is driving a yj bad....

Cj-

• I didn't know the 4 cyl had the ax5 before today I didn't know there was an ax5. I've only done a basic lift, cut the genders off and put tube genders on along with rocksliders. But I'm not gonna get the money out of it and I don't have the money to buy a new one

• I didn't know the 4 cyl had the ax5 before today I didn't know there was an ax5. I've only done a basic lift, cut the genders off and put tube genders on along with rocksliders. But I'm not gonna get the money out of it and I don't have the money to buy a new one

I would try a regear then, Im assuming your running 33's on a stock 4.0? I would jump up to 4.10s to return the power band to stock... Check out the info on that site, it's some good info.

Cj-

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!