Looking for advice on a JK

• So the other day, my wife said out of the blue " You can get a JK if you get rid of your jeep and truck". At first i tried to broker the deal so that i keep the truck and sell the jeep, but after she's seen the prices of new JK's I don't think its gonna happen. My goal is a 4 door with 35's but apparently there are a few routes to take.

1. Buy a "customized" jeep from adams, all work has been done, warrantied, but $9000 additional on the sticker.
    2. Buy a base model (sport) and do the work myself
    3. Buy a rubicon and be happy for awhile, then add some mods down the road.

buying a rubicon seems kinda silly, because it looks like i will be removing alot of the extra options that i paid for. I'm not very educated in JK's or rubicons so is this the case?

• only thing rubicons have are the 4.11 axle ratios, axle lockers, push button front sway bar disconnect and 4.0:1 low range transfer case ratio... i would rather get the sport myself and build it up, later down the road add bolt in 60 rear with locker and go from there....

• only thing rubicons have are the 4.11 axle ratios, axle lockers, push button front sway bar disconnect and 4.0:1 low range transfer case ratio... i would rather get the sport myself and build it up, later down the road add bolt in 60 rear with locker and go from there....

Personally, I would go Rubicon and call it a day. Unless the plan is to go to an Atlas or Stak down the road, that 4.0:1 transfer case is sure nice. As are the 4.11 gears. I doubt you intend a 4 dr JK to be a hardcore offroad machine so IMHO it would do fine with a lift and some 35's without needing to replace the axles. If you needed the extra strength just replace the axle shafts at some point.

Along the same lines, some folks see the TJ Rubicon as a waste of money but mine wasn't until the point where I put the d60's in. It was then that I "wasted" money buying a Rubi, but not before. I still have the TC (running strong), and the lockers/gearing worked great. I wouldn't have done anything differently looking back at my decisions...

• Personally, I would go Rubicon and call it a day.

X2. The only reason I bought a Rubicon the second time around was that I wasted a bunch of money on lockers, gearing, t-case reducer, stronger axle, etc. that the Rubicon already had stock.

Building it from scratch is fine but just look closely at the costs and you may be surprised.

I haven't looked but I'd assume there are some lifted JK's on 35's available used. Probably a better option than having Adam's hack up a new Jeep for you.

• If 35's are you end goal, get the rubicon. lockers and gears alone are worth it

X2

Ive now had 4 jeeps! 2 rubicons and 2 TJs. Trust me on the rubicon. If you arnt going hard core (d60's ect) then long run you will save a ton of Money with the Rubicon.

• Agreed, you can fit 35s with just a spacer lift. You may want a little extra lift for breakover angle due to the longer wheelbase but a spacer lift is enough to fit the 35s.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I'd get a rubicon if your not going to go too crazy with it. If you intend to wheel it a good bit you can gusset the inner c's and sleeve the front axle to keep it from bending and breaking. If your getting an auto plan on a front driveshaft eventually.

The adams lifted jeeps are just a 3" BDS lift, 35's and maybe a bumper for $9000. Its a lot cheaper to do it yourself and the JK suspension is very easy to work on.

• No plans to wheel it, just a beach run here or there. Just like the look of 35's so wasn't sure if a rubicon would be overkill.

• No plans to wheel it, just a beach run here or there. Just like the look of 35's so wasn't sure if a rubicon would be overkill.

My overall impression is exactly stated as above, that you don't plan on wheeling much if at all. Go Sport and lift it. Sounds like that's what fits the bill for you. If I were to personally purchase another Jeep I'd be looking at the Rubicon, but that's only because I plan on wheeling the hell out of it, and wouldn't be replacing what it gives me (i.e. those gears, axles and tcase). It doesn't seem that you will be using what a rubi gives you at all, which is an off roading machine off the dealership floor.

• Well you could always get the new liberty since it won't see mud and it will just be to go shopping in

Do you try to sound like an idiot or does it just come natural?

Id get the Rubi. Is better to have the extras in case you decide to wheel it later down the road.

• Keith can we get the disclaimer again about JEEPKID's post? Maybe it could be made a permanent thing!

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!