question for guys running hydro assist or full hydro

• I’m running a 2in x8in hydro assist ram, just got it installed, I’m running a PSC box and stock pump w cooler, till i can save up for a high volume pump. anyway it seems from what i read i should use synthetic fluid, and the instructions call for it for the ram, so after checking the usual places (auto zone, advance, walmart...) the only fluid i can find is royal purple and the only place that has it is pep boys and they have one 12oz bottle for 9 bucks... that’s not happing, what are you guys running and if your running synthetic where do you get it…

thanks
    Cj-

• I’m running a 2in x8in hydro assist ram, just got it installed, I’m running a PSC box and stock pump w cooler, till i can save up for a high volume pump. anyway it seems from what i read i should use synthetic fluid, and the instructions call for it for the ram, so after checking the usual places (auto zone, advance, walmart...) the only fluid i can find is royal purple and the only place that has it is pep boys and they have one 12oz bottle for 9 bucks... that’s not happing, what are you guys running and if your running synthetic where do you get it…

thanks
    Cj-

I had to get Royal Purple from a Napa near me. (They ordered it.)
    I killed a container this weekend after I had a line come loose and Aaron needed to top off his reservoir after flopping. :bang:
    Pep Boys had a replacement in stock for $7.99.

(Bottom line is if you want to go synthetic, and you should.....you're unfortunately going to pay for it.)

Maybe try online. :shrug:
    http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Pu…er-Steering/dp/B001DKPXU8

• What Billy said. I ordered mine through Summit and it was a tad cheaper (but not much). After swapping my pump last year before big dogs I didn't have replacement RP before the event and had to run parts store fluid...lots more foaming and cavitation in the pump. Since then I flushed and refilled with the RP stuff and it's perfect...I guess the saying is true, you gotta pay to play. :shrug:

--Ian

• Pretty sure i used regular old ps fluid in my hydro setup with the stock pump and a cooler. Seemed to work fine. If it were me....Id run the cheap stuff till you upgrade the pump(im cheap and lazy), but then again, summit has royal purple for a fairly decent price.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Edited once, last by 2000sahara ().

• Well I think for now I will run normal fluid, see how it goes, when I go to the high flow pump I'll change to royal purple... Thanks

Cj-

• Been running regular old Prestone PS fluid for mine with no issues. Haven't had any issues with fad while running comps or trail riding all day. When I swapped pumps on the new motor the fluid still looked new as well.

• Ran regular until this year until I upgraded the pump again. I run the Royal P, for the anti foam qualities.

Aaron

• PSC recommends Royal Purple. I don't know if they void the warranty without it or not, but that's what I run in my PSC setup. :doh:

I too, am with stupid<br />87XJ&nbsp;(gone), 97 ZJ W 31&quot; MT&#039;s (gone), 04 TJ W 3&quot; procomp springs/ 33&quot; BFG&nbsp; MT&#039;S (gone)<br />87 YJ- SOA - 39.5 Swampers-111&quot; wheel base, 4 link front, Atlas, 14 bolt, Dana 60 and stuff

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!