Chaulking fender flares....a solution?

• So I was thinking of going to my local Dover Ace Hardware and buying some 303 Aerospace Protectant to bring my TJ's faded fender flares back to life. They're no longer the black that they should be, and this 303 product is touted all over the internet as a miracle chemical. It's expensive! Before buying it, I was wondering if anyone here has an inexpensive homespun solution (or a different product) that really works. Lots of products restore the black color, but haven't found one that really lasts awhile. That's the trick! I'm interested in something other than a bedliner approach or painting them with Krylon Fusion. Thanks.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• So I was thinking of going to my local Dover Ace Hardware and buying some 303 Aerospace Protectant to bring my TJ's faded fender flares back to life. They're no longer the black that they should be, and this 303 product is touted all over the internet as a miracle chemical. It's expensive! Before buying it, I was wondering if anyone here has an inexpensive homespun solution (or a different product) that really works. Lots of products restore the black color, but haven't found one that really lasts awhile. That's the trick! I'm interested in something other than a bedliner approach or painting them with Krylon Fusion. Thanks.

There isMothers Back-To-Black, a wipe on option. each application lasts about 2-4 weeks and takes all of 2 min to apply. A bottle is only a few bucks. I dont thing the 303 will make a significant difference in color like the back to black does.

http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-…ags-on-product/B0002U1TXK

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• No doubt, Back to black it not long lasting, but it does make them look great for a while. depending on rain.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I use the 303 protectant and am very happy with it, but I realize you are looking for that next level of restoration. If you have a heat gun, I've seen videos of people heating them back to be black again. Worth a look into at least.

Other than that, :shrug: maybe it's time for a good ol' coat of paint?
    :beer:

• does anybody have a close up pic of one they painted. i miss the dark black look that i used to have. every now and then, i silicone them, but that doesnt last long. ive seen people paint them, but have never liked the look. i like the look of the black textured plastic. maybe this krylon fusion looks good tho?

• I've actually used Krylon Fusion successfully in the past. In fact, I believe I have half a can in my garage right now. I think it's a good product. I was just thinking there must be some other route to take that delivers the goods -- black color and long lasting. The heat gun thing intrigues me, but I'm probably too chicken to try it for fear of screwing up something.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• I've actually used Krylon Fusion successfully in the past. In fact, I believe I have half a can in my garage right now. I think it's a good product. I was just thinking there must be some other route to take that delivers the goods -- black color and long lasting. The heat gun thing intrigues me, but I'm probably too chicken to try it for fear of screwing up something.

I can tell you a similar experience. I had an ATV that had white bend marks in the dark blue fenders from a rollover. To fix them I used a heat gun on low and it worked amazingly well. Just had to be patient and take my time. Went from horrible looking to couldn't even tell they had been there. I see no reason that it wouldn't work for the flares if you just pulled them off the Jeep. The plastic should reform in the same manner and look good.

• I can tell you a similar experience. I had an ATV that had white bend marks in the dark blue fenders from a rollover. To fix them I used a heat gun on low and it worked amazingly well. Just had to be patient and take my time. Went from horrible looking to couldn't even tell they had been there. I see no reason that it wouldn't work for the flares if you just pulled them off the Jeep. The plastic should reform in the same manner and look good.

That trick will usually work but is dependent upon the brand of flare. I've heard of people having good luck with the OEM non-painted black flare but it didn't do a thing to the Bushwacker pocket flares I had on my Jeep for awhile. I know that Jim has aftermarket flares so his results may vary as well.

• I've done the heatgun trick on Jen's factory flares...it worked well and lasted longer than any of the treaments/protectants but not as long as painting them. It's only been about a year and they're already back to faded. IMHO they look worse now as they're almost striped from the pattern that the heatgun passed over them. They'll likely get a coat of satin black fusion in the spring.

--Ian

• From what I've seen, Krylon paint is the only "long term" solution for making faded flares dark again. 303 is great to prevent them from fading in the first place, though. As part of the cleaning routine for my JK, I'll be using a trim treatment that has a SPF 35 level of protection in it like the 303. Overkill for a Jeep, but I've got a lot of it left over from buying stuff for my Charger. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!