Lift and Tire size.

• Just got back into a Jeep after a 4 years. Picked up my 2012 that came with small 29" tires. My question is what are most people doing out here with lift and larger tire size. In all my searching online I think all that I have come up with is that you can fit 32" tires on stock setup and a 2" BB lift can get you 33" and some kits claim 35". I guess what im looking for is recommendations and possibly pictures of similar setups.

• How big do you want to go? The Saharas and Rubicons come with 255/75R17 tires by default, which are basically 32" tires. A basic BB will provide a lot of room for flex with 33s or more stock proportions with 35s. But if you want to get more aggressive you might want a different lift option to give more flex? Just check for tire clearance in all directions, don't wanna rub on anything. The stock Sport wheels had an issue with the rear tires rubbing on the sway bar if you used wider tires than stock, dunno if they ever changed that.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• More then likely I would end up with 33". I just dont want to be in the situation where i wish I had gone a little larger. I had a 2" bb and 32" on my TJ. Wish i had spent the extra and got 33".

• Give it some more time and check out some of the other JKs in the club in person when you can. 35s are the new 33s, you might decide you want to be a little taller. I think 35s are almost more common on JKs than 33s are on TJs now.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• don't forget to take gearing into consideration when increasing tire size.

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

• I'm running 35's now and can't wait to run 40's. The jk can use all the clearance you can get it. If I were starting from stock I would go with the Clayton long arm kit. It all depends on what you plan on doing with it. Come Sunday to rc and check out the rigs.

• I'm running a 4.5'' Clayton short arm kit with 35's and will be moving to 37's soon. So far I'm extremely happy with the lift and ride. I'm also re-geared to 5.13's in preparation for the 37's. Running 35's with stock 3.73 gears with a manual transmission wasn't horrible.

• i am sure it will affect it to some degree, but dont forget he has the new motor so gear will probably not be as big as an issue.

aaron

• Thanks for all the replies. :up: I can say I definitely wont be getting over 35's. My wife drives it a couple days a week to save on gas. I drive from Bear to Wilmington every day. Im looking for something functional for off road but still practical for highway. So 35 or larger may be excessive for my needs. Definitely want to keep costs down as well. I didnt want to regear.

• I have 34"s on my 2012. They are not bad but I would like to regear since im running the stock 3.21 gears. Im getting 21 MPG with the stock gears and the larger tires. I will be going up to the 35"s soon since they are not much different than my 34"s but even a small regear to 4.10s would help get some power back. I really don't think that with 33"s you will even notice a difference.

• What do you want to do with it off-road wise? Rubicon take offs can be found pretty cheap if you just want it to look a little better. Personally I think Jk's with any sort of lift and 33's look funny.

I've been extremely happy with the performance of mine with 3"s and 35's. I daily drive it from Newark to Prices Corner area.

• [size=2]I just moved from stock 255/75R 17 to 285/70R 17 with no lift and no Spacers installed (yet) and they just barely rub at full turn in the driveway. [/size][size=small]I have a some 1.5" spacers.[/size]

[size=small]I'm working on finding the definitive answer on how much (if at all) the state of Delaware will allow a tire to stick out from the fender. Once I find that out I will then decide if I put on the 1.5" spacers or return them and look for a set of 1.25" or 1". [/size]

• Tire/body relationship really depends on who you get. They usually say 1" of tread. That said, my brother got through the Wilmington DMV with more than that AND no muffler (and with the bumpers at the maximum legal height due to the 7" lift).

For wheel spacers, the smallest you can get for a JK is the 1.5".

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!