• My dad and I have a 1976 cj5 with a 304 in it. its almost ready for inspection other than exhaust. it has new headers
    does anyone else have this jeep/engine and what set up do you have?
    true dual seems like it is going to be very expensive.
    does anyone know of any shops that can do an exhaust for me for a good price as close to the dover/smyrna area as possible? (other than scottis and meineke)

any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks

• last 304 i messed with we used the factory manifolds because the frame rails are so tight. personally i dont like outside the frame rail headers. just wrap a y pipe in front of the trans bell housing and get a cheap muffler.

aaron

• basic cat is around 100 bucks and should easily fit in front of the muffler. wont see much performance gain on duals on that motor. it makes it power down low in the rpm range so a single will be fine.

aaron

• CJ5's are tight because of the wheel base. A '76 will have a Dana 20 which is the same case as my Dana 18. To go true dual exhause inside the frame rail you will be pretty much right on the frame rail where the fuel line is. You'll need to wrap the line. I did that once with a sleeve that I got from JEGS. Nice stuff and it worked well. But the trick will be where to fit the cat on the passenger side because of the t-case. You'll need to move the cat back behind the t-case which puts it right where the frame humps up to go over the axle. You can't put a muffler on it then.

I wonder if you can use a cat from a WJ? The cats on my wife's Jeep are really short and pretty much still in the engine compartment.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!