New Jeep in the family

• :spinrhead: :spinrhead: :spinrhead: :spinrhead: :spinrhead:

We have a new jeep in the family:

It's a 1996 Cherokee Country, about 71,000 miles. It's going to be my son's jeep once he wrenches the keys out of my hands (actually, once he gets his full driver's license in June).

It's going to need some work, so let's set up some time at Chris and Icky's garage!

• First thing off, I brought it to Baker Jeep for an evaluation. They replaced/topped off various fluids, lubed and evaluated. This is what they found:

New tires needed - I knew that, I'm negotiating with DrJ for his once he gets Icky's once Icky gets hers...

Wiper chatter - Don't know what this was, but Baker fixed it

Needs Tune up - Air filter, Ignition wires, cap, rotor, wires and plugs - saving this for Chris/Icky's garage.

Needs Fuel Injector & Throttle Body Service - had Baker do this.

Right Front Axle joint (u-joint) is loose - saving this for Chris/Icky's garage.

Serpentine Belt needs to be replaced - saving this for Chris/Icky's garage.

Front Brakes at 15% - Baker recommends replacing pads and rotors, saving this for Chris/Icky's garage.

Need to replace catalytic converter - ???

I'm looking for parts quotes from you folks working at Jeep dealerships!

I'm thinking that's not too bad for 71,000 miles. :lie:

• Congrat on the find Andrew. After Nate's been driving a while you will relax a little. NOT!!

I think Chris/Icky's garage should be called "ChIcky's".

Anyone second that?

• Nice find. Are you going to go with new rims too? I wouldn't replace the Cat unless last resort. There are some cheap nice ones on ebay. Another thing that is a neccesity in the older XJ's. Replace the center console with 97+ console. You get the two cup holders since it doesn't have any. Your son would probably like that cheap mod. Oh yea check the pulley when you change the belt. Mine sat a lil while and got rust on it. Replaced the belt and it ate the new one like sand paper. Looks like fun in the future. Lift, rims, tires, new axles, whoops getting ahead of myself. Hope you enjoy it before your son takes it from ya.

• Andrew---Congratulations. '96 is a great year for the Cherokee. I have one that has endured 120,000 miles, two deer and one Paragon tree hits and is still going strong. Very safe and dependable vehicle particularly for a new driver.

• The serpentine belts are easy to change. On my Dodge you just push on the tensioner pulley to let the slack up on the belt. Other vehicles you have to loosen the alternator. Removing the catalytic converter may be easy or a chore. It depends on how bad it's rusted in place. You may end up destroying a few other pipes in the process but you can get short peices at any Pep Boys. The wiper chatter was probably just bad wiper blades.

Team Chricky? Isn't a chricky some kind of little bug that gets under your skin...or is that chiggers?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!