steering issues

• Just put a lift on my yj and realized my center link was bent real bad.. so I went ahead ans replaced it. Well my alignment was ao had that if I went above 35 mph it was a death trap on wheels. Went to pepboys ( I know thier crap but had to) and seems to be ok accept for one thing. My steering doesnt return to center and I feel every little thing bumps ruts and all while driving. Is this normal or do I need to set it differently now.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• You're alignment isn't right.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Do you still have the track bar and the sway bars on the front? Did you use the drop pitman arm? Was the lft a shackle reversal? All of these things including the quality of the lift will effect drivability. Steering gometry and camber angle of the axle change when lifted and may not be adjustable being that it s a yj. You should get a paperwork with the alignment numbers, if so let us know what they were.

Aaron

• I did the pitman arm drop no shackle reversal @ all.... I replaced all the front.... I still have to sway bar and trac bar.... its also a rough country 4 inch lift. But I found it was cheaper to go this route and swap the springs out for OME springs. I was using they thruin RC boomerang shackles but I took them off because the vibes were so bad I couldnt drive it. I do have sway bar disco's though.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Did it have a track bar relocation bracket. Sometimes they loosen and add to steering issues. Also remember lift springs are much stiffer so you will "feel" the road more. The axle does rotate when you lift it so it does effect the steering characteristics. although with a 3.5" lift it usually is not that bad.

What shocks came with the kit?

• I have the nitro shocks and it is actually a lot bigger then 4 inch I would say its more around 5 to be honest. Yes it did come with a relocation bracket. I've read online that a lot of people do away with the sway bar and track bar. I would attempt to do the same thing but have no idea what the track bar does haha... I know the sway bar was actually introduced on the yj to try to help it from flipping over like the cj's where notorious for doing. By the way the nitro shocks are awesome by their own right. Also have the nitro steering stabilizer.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!