4.3 in my 2.5 yj?

• I'd like to have a 4.0 but it seems to be easier to put a Chevy engine because they can mount in the same place. And I know the easiest solution is buy a 4.0 wrangler but I like my jeep, it's mine.

What I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons on is a complete Chevy drivetrain or get an ax15 and a 4.3 to ax15 conversion kit. I know I can convert the 4.3 to my current ax5, but the one thing I wanna get rid of more than the 2.5, is the ax5.

I'm researching the different options but also looking or any input anyone on here may have. Thanks guys

• Not sure where you read that the 4.3 mounts in the same spot as the 2.5. The motor mount location is even close. The v6 does fit well into the engine compartment and i am sure someone makes a cradle or motor mounts to fit but nothing about the swap is cheap or easy. The nv3500 and ax-15 both came behind the 4.3 and get the tcase too because the output spline will be different on the gm trans.

Aaron

• Might as well go with a V8 swap since you'll be replacing the drive train.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• From what I've read, the "easiest" swap is an LS series motor.... I've got a friend of mine in South Carolina that did one in his LJ, and he said it was "challenging". And he is an old hot rodder from way back. That being said, Advance Adaptors has the adaptors and great write ups on engine swaps for Jeeps.

• I didn't read that the 4.3 just bolts right in but I read there's an adapter where as with putting a 4.0 in you need mounts off a 4.0 frame and have to cut the frame. I haven't had a lot of time to research. I don't know a ton about it. I could put another 2.5 in my 2.5, or another ax5, I've done both but I'm crossing over into new territory with this

• Do the V8! That or just go for the i6. Might as well go big or go home lol.

This is usually where you put a signature, instead I'll let everyone know I am looking for a CJ8 Scrambler.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!