Tentative Approval (Approved)

• In DE no title no sale. Its worthless unless you can convience a shop to process it as abandon vehicle.

What are you referring to? The jeep I bought has a title that was notirized at the time of purchase.

So this brings up a question. I obviously need to switch the title over but I dont really plan on tagging it and registering for street use. (maybe) Is there a special process for this? As far as the DMV website goes it says all vehicles need to go through inspection.

• I am pretty sure title transfers are separate from registering.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 with Taptalk 2

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I know in Maryland, title transfers are completely separate from registration/inspection. You apply for the title, it comes in the mail, and then it is completely up to you if you want to get it inspected and registered. If you need to get it titled and store it in MD, I would be more than happy to help you out :mrgreen:

You don't know what you can do, until you know what you can't do...

• Not sure if it's changed since then but I ran into a snag once. Bought a cheap car at an auction and tried to switch the title to my name. They rufused until it passed inspection. This was 1989 though. The engine was blown and they threw gear oil in it to quiet the knock to put it through the auction. Couldn't get it past emissions and they wouldn't switch the title to my name. I ended up stripping everything I could and junking it. Only had about $500 total invested in it but got $50 from the junk yard cause it didn't have a title in my name.

• I know in Maryland, title transfers are completely separate from registration/inspection. You apply for the title, it comes in the mail, and then it is completely up to you if you want to get it inspected and registered. If you need to get it titled and store it in MD, I would be more than happy to help you out :mrgreen:

Yea, I'll let you know..... :fart:

• What are you referring to? The jeep I bought has a title that was notirized at the time of purchase.

So this brings up a question. I obviously need to switch the title over but I dont really plan on tagging it and registering for street use. (maybe) Is there a special process for this? As far as the DMV website goes it says all vehicles need to go through inspection.

You are probably going to have to tow it through DMV so they can check the vin. You can try to register it as an ohv at that point if they need it registered to get a title.

Aaron was talking about trailers though. A trailer without a title is pretty much worthless in Delaware.

• You are probably going to have to tow it through DMV so they can check the vin. You can try to register it as an ohv at that point if they need it registered to get a title.

Aaron was talking about trailers though. A trailer without a title is pretty much worthless in Delaware.

Oh Ok. I wouldn't even attempt going for a trailer without a title. Thanks for the heads up tho. Needing a trailer is killing my budget! haha but I guess its on of those things...

• For the jeep, you can just tow it to the DMV to get the vin checked since it was purchased out of state, then you can just get a U-title for it. It basically says you own it but there is no need for insurance or inspection as its either not drivable(project) or it's not driven on road. That's what I have on my jeep and Camaro....
    As for the trailer, I would buy Paul's.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• You have the flat tow option but it will eat up tires. Its full float so even with a broken shaft it still rolls. In PA you can bring just a pic or rubbing of the VIN Tag and they are happy with that. Done it a few times.

Never really flat towed before. Is that much involved or to worry about other then buying a tow bar hooking up and going?

• Never really flat towed before. Is that much involved or to worry about other then buying a tow bar hooking up and going?

I flat towed my heep back from the barrens w/o any issues. Although that was also pulling it behind my pop's Chevy 3500 diesel.

Tow bar is cheaper than a trailer but I'm not sure what complications you'd run into with your rig's setup. My diffs are both open so lockers might play a factor. Luke already said something about tires wearing. :shrug:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I flat towed my heep back from the barrens w/o any issues. Although that was also pulling it behind my pop's Chevy 3500 diesel.

Tow bar is cheaper than a trailer but I'm not sure what complications you'd run into with your rig's setup. My diffs are both open so lockers might play a factor. Luke already said something about tires wearing. :shrug:

A $2000 trailer is cheaper then a set of 40"+ tires.

• I'm curious how flat towing wears tires out faster than driving the jeep itself.

I've never flat towed and wonder how everything handles in the rain vs a trailer. I know one or two members who flat tow with a much older vehicle and have no issues or complaints. If you go that route, even for the time being, I have one that I never used (bought new) for $50. Trailers still have maintenance: tires blow, axle/bearings need greasing/replacement, lights need replacing, and not just the bulb, maybe some wiring too. I'd still much prefer you get a trailer (eventually).

• That time I ripped the knuckle off the axle

That time I bent my tie rod into an "S"

That time I ripped my steering box off the frame

That time I destroyed 2 tires

That time I killed a leaf spring centering pin and the axle was sitting at a 10 degree angle

Thats why I tow a trailer and dont flat tow :razz:

• Coming from driving my jeep to and from the trail I think flat towing could work for me and of course the price is way cheaper. But I see and agree with all of the points of owning a trailer. Just not sure... if I'm able I guess I should just get the trailer.

• What are you referring to? The jeep I bought has a title that was notirized at the time of purchase.

No talking about trailer.

• Another concern with flat towing that I see would be keeping the tow bar parallel to the ground. There would be a big difference in height between the reciever on the back of the grand and mounting points on the front of the tj.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!