High or Low

• I usually just use 4hi...auto/4.10/35s. I'll spin tires a little in 4hi, it's definitely better in 4lo but my xfer case case likes to pop out of gear when I put it in 4lo. Only happens occasionally and only once at the beginning of the day then it's good, I don't want to get stuck and end up with embarrassing pictures like KnoxRents so I just keep it in hi.

• I have 235 75r15 tires no lift right now. I air down to 15 psi and use 4 low. Auto. Think of others! I see plenty of trucks and folks with larger trucks and rigs that don't air down and are fine. But they dig deeper rutts which makes it worse and more likely for other folks to get stuck.

• I have 235 75r15 tires no lift right now. I air down to 15 psi and use 4 low. Auto. Think of others! I see plenty of trucks and folks with larger trucks and rigs that don't air down and are fine. But they dig deeper rutts which makes it worse and more likely for other folks to get stuck.

I think of others when I can drive right off and don't have to get out and air up. And I don't spin my tires so not sure how my ruts are deeper especially since I'm following everyone tracks that went before me.

Can't say I agree with that. My 35's only need about 25 lbs. for a good road patch and float better and have a larger patch on the sand than smaller tires aired down to 15. It doesn't make much difference when I air down so I just don't bother. :shrug:

As far as others getting stuck in ruts....it seems easy to avoid them. This is the same reason I can't understand why they don't allow duel wheel trucks on the sand. Also, duel wheels actually have more surface area and would dig less. I guess I just don't get it. :-\

• 285/75/16 5spd 6cyl 241 tcase 4.10 gears 4lo 2,3 sometimes 4th gear depending on the distance to travel. I still maintain the speed limit.
    My street pressure is 28psi .

For the record . I always see dual rear wheel trucks on the surf. ;D

• Was not trying to offend. I do not think jeeps are the problem not airing down. Most jeeps that don't air down have wide tires and helps are a lot lighter so the typically float on the sand. Mostly thinking of truck barrelling down the beach at 30 mph or people not familiar with beach driving with full gas on tearing everything up. Knock on wood I have never gotten stuck.

• Thanks guys .Alot of info.I have a 5 speed 4.0 with 31s.Ive only taken it out on Whiskey beach and the sands pretty soft.So what im hearing is to start in 2nd gear in low ? I guess it depends on how soft the sand is whether or not you use hi or low.

• I had a buddy drive his yj out on the beach with 33 super swampers and he didnt even know his vaccuum disc was broke until he put it in reverse. But to be honest its all about how you drive it.... Drive like a idiot get stuck like one... And billy the famous quote from last time you rode with me was.... "your not that guy are ya, yeah hes definately that guy."

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• 2wd/high/2nd banging off the rev limiter, sometimes 2wd/low/4th on the limiter. 4.0s run better on the limiter.

But the sand I usually drive on is no where near the beach... :spinrhead:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!