Dana 300 T-Case

• I have a stock dana 300 transfer case that I know nothing about [size=1](shocker, I know)[/size] that was given to me by the prevous owner when I purchased my 98 TJ a couple months ago. I'm currently running the stock np231 t-case and want to upgrade to a 4:1. Orginally I was planning on just selling the d300 after I figured out what price tag to put on it and buy a new atlas 4:1. But now I'm thinking I want to stretch my jeep monies and see what is involved with flipping and repurposing the d300 and if it's worth it.

Vehicle Specs are: 98TJ 4.0L, Manual 5 spd, Kingpin D60 fron, 14 bolt FF rear.

So:
    1. Does anyone want to help me open up the D300 and tshow me what I'm looking at and if it's good? I can bring it to your house or you can come to mine in Newark. I can have a 6-pack available for each location...
    2. Around how much money should I expect to spend building a D300 vs. buying a new Atlas?
    3. Where's the best place to buy the parts and what do I need?
    4. Suggestions?

• The main issue is that you would have to clock it to the drivers side. Dana 300s output to the passenger side like on a CJ.

Lowmax makes the 4-1 gearset for $575.00 http://www.jbconversions.com/products/dana300/

Clocking / flip rings on ebay $50 to $70
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dana-3…sh=item2eca44e4df&vxp=mtr

Cable Twin stick Shifter kit $300 Reverse set up http://northwestfab.3dcartstor…le-Shifter-Kit_p_187.html

Probably will need a Speedo sending unit..

Not sure if there are issues for oiling / venting a D300 flipped.. I think Aarons has done some Lowmax kits.

Note there are several clocking and flip rings out there.. be sure to research for your application . Northwest fab also sells the flip ring as an option when you buy the cable twin stick kit

Dana 300s dont often fail.. I would suspect its ok. Any idea the mileage? Either way , the new gearset will fix pretty much everything.

So looking at about $1000 to rebuild low gears and cable twinsticks plus any labor to do the rebuild and install , plus drive shafts will need to be resized.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• Ha I have $1800 in mine. Use the down east offroad flip kit. It's decent and comes with the twin shifters. I used the jb conversion lowmax gears , and the AA big output shaft. Ur gonna want to upgrad the output shaft

• To do all that to a Dana300 vs Atlas.. Might be best just for with the Atlas. More money , but you get a warranty , no labor, no adaptors, easy fit.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• To do all that to a Dana300 vs Atlas.. Might be best just for with the Atlas. More money , but you get a warranty , no labor, no adaptors, easy fit.

I've been doing my own research on them and it seems like a lot of people that run a built D300 built them themselves and/or had half the parts accessable to make it worth building a d300 over buying an atlas. 98% of everyone else that has built a d300 from the ground up and had to buy everything full price has said they wish they had just bought an atlas for the same reasons you stated.

• You also have the issue of flipped cases leaking. Usually from the sifter links. I guess you could use this

http://www.stak4x4.com/Dana_300/replace-a-case.htm

But at $725 yikes!

I think thats for someone that already has a built one and looking for the last upgrade. Because all thats doing is adding another $725 to the total price right?

• I think thats for someone that already has a built one and looking for the last upgrade. Because all thats doing is adding another $725 to the total price right?

I think the cheapest way to go is to buy a CJ to go with your Dana300 .

• If you can install an Atlas yourself that's still built not bought....even if you have to do it on Aaron's lift.

Lifts don't count. (Though I used one :innocent:). You need to bench press that heavy hunk of aluminum from the ground to get street cred. ;)

• Mine doesnt leak a drop. I also have the front 32 spine kit. Btw atlas doesnt come with cable shifters either and 32 spine outputs are extra. Also you can redrill te d300 case and eliminate the adaptor ring.

• Those of you that know me, know that my mechanic skills and knowledge base for these more "advanced" mods is pretty limited. I'm trying to learn a lot more while keeping a sensable budget for this hobby. With that said, if I can save $1000 by building the 300 rather then buying a brand new atlas then thats the route I'd rather go. Because that will keep more money free for other upgrades like ori's, tires, suspension, engine. if Aaron and Luke's rigs can run on a d300 without breaking I'm pretty sure it will be fine for whatever I throw at it.

The whole bought vs. built thing doesn't bother me but I do want to get my hands dirty with working/ building this jeep the way I want it but I'll just need the help from all of you along the way with advice, options, and the occasional standing over my shoulder (or standing over yours as I watch). The more I get to rip into it the more I'll learn but if I'm left to my own devices I'll end up with a pile of TJ parts in my garage that all have custom BFH fab work....

• Matt I have a d300 in my garage in a box all tore down. I was going to go with the tereflex 4-1 set up. After doing some pricing between the gearset the master rebuild kit and other little stuff I was right around $1000.00, I dont need to flip mine so I didn't look into the clocking ring or cable shifters. If you look around and are patient you may be able to find a used atlas for just a little more money.

• Matt I have a d300 in my garage in a box all tore down. I was going to go with the tereflex 4-1 set up. After doing some pricing between the gearset the master rebuild kit and other little stuff I was right around $1000.00, I dont need to flip mine so I didn't look into the clocking ring or cable shifters. If you look around and are patient you may be able to find a used atlas for just a little more money.

The highlighted unlined word is usually my problem... :rolleyes: . But you're right, I don't need to be in a rush for any major upgrades as long as it's running and wheeling as is.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!