Looking for a Waggy or Durango Steering box

• This would be for my 98 TJ. I want to replace the stock box so for any of you guys that have one laying around and wants to sell it or that frequently visits the junk yards. Can you keep your eyes open for one for me?
    This is going to be a temporary fix for my steering until I decide what route/ order I'll be going with my build. I just want to be able to go to Novembers member ride and be able to steer. Everything I read says its not worth repairing the stock box and selector shaft because it will always leak again.

• It's not impossible but they are usually tough to find, I went to NAPA and bought my durango box. Comes with a warranty too.

I already looked that up and I'm trying to be cheap and not pay $180 for a part that I know I will replace with a full hydro kit. But if Push comes to shove I may have to do that to avoid rushing into a upgrade.

• Matt and I have talked about this extensively. His steering box is leaking way too much to just carry extra fluid. If he can come across a cheap steering box it would be easy just to throw it in until he can get it into the shop to set it up for full hydro. He knows he needs it but at this point there will be a lot of fab involved in a short amount of time.
    In short.... All you bitches who have never fabbed up hydro steering can stfu until you know what's involved. :innocent:

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Just do the full hydro you retard. I don't know why you are fighting it?

I know I know. It's just getting it installed is the problem before November and I dont want to rush it. But I thought you liked a little fight....?

Is it functional just leaking? If so I'd just carry a couple quarts until you can do the full hydro. If the box is fscked just suck it up and do full hydro. This may be the first time I agree with Celeste on something that doesn't involve making fun of Sal. I didn't realize it still had the stock box on there.

It squirts like a ..... So no, it can't be driven as is.

• I have replaced the sector seal on a TJ steering box if I remember correctly it was not very hard. Napa had a rebuild kit for $10.00

Option 2 is definitely something worth looking into Matt. There is tons of info on re-sealing or full on re-building a Saginaw steering box on the interweb. As long as your sector shaft isn't all bitched up, it'll hold a seal just fine.

The sector shaft on mine loosened up and was about to blow a seal but I caught it in time. Yours may have done the same. You can retention it with the allen bolt at the top of the box to prevent it but obviously it's too late now.

• Matt, Ive got a spare box lying in my shop i would let go pretty cheap. It looks relatively new as well (came with a box of random TJ parts). Dont know if its TJ, durango, etc? If you are interested just let me know and I can dig it out.

• Just replacing the box isn't going to work, don't you already have hydro assist on that POS? If you broke your junk with hydro assist you are going to break it with out it for sure. Man, you all are sounding like Sal. GET FULL HYDRO!!!!!!!
    Speaking of Sal, I think he has been crowned as the official club retard. :roflmao:

• Just replacing the box isn't going to work, don't you already have hydro assist on that POS? If you broke your junk with hydro assist you are going to break it with out it for sure. Man, you all are sounding like Sal. GET FULL HYDRO!!!!!!!Speaking of Sal, I think he has been crowned as the official club retard. :roflmao:

I'm not talking about taking off the hydro assist off. It still uses the stock steering box and junk. I'm just talking about repairing or replacing the steering box and selector shaft so it can be driven/ wheeled while I get the parts together and time to install it (have someone help or have Aaron do it). I honestly would like to do the Atlas and ORI's before the full hydro so that's kind of why I'm holding off on running out and buying the kit. I want to build this in what I think is a logical order rather then throwing on parts and selling it like some jack asses... :innocent: Or save up and build it all at once and wheel it as it stands right now.

Matt, Ive got a spare box lying in my shop i would let go pretty cheap. It looks relatively new as well (came with a box of random TJ parts). Dont know if its TJ, durango, etc? If you are interested just let me know and I can dig it out.

Yea, if you could dig it out and let me know how much you want for it I'd appreciate it.

• Umm dumb ass, the stock box is tapped for the hydro assist. Do the full hydro now, you can wheel it the way it is aside from that. Running 40's you really need full hydro or you are going to keep having the same problem. Get the steering fixed then next year or when ever do the ORI and atlas. Just putting a stock box in is going to be worse than what you already had and broke. You are getting close to getting the club retard title. Rant over. :laughing:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!