Dreams of moab 2014

• Well the new to me daily driver xj that I said I would leave stock is no longer stock. Jerry's post regarding his 2014 plans has made me decided to try my best to go along. Between my two jeeps, the xj and the cj, the xj is by far the choice for a trip of this magnitude.
    So that leaves me modifying the xj. The end goal is 3 inches on 31's, skides, rockrails, auto locker in the front, and many other small things to make it a mild but capable expedition rig.

So what we are starting with. A 97 jeep Cherokee sport, auto, np231, d30, c8.25, 104k.

Now before the idea of this trip I came across a deal on some stock tj rims and 235/75/15 tires, so I went for it. I think it made a big difference in the look of the jeep

That brings us to date. Starting Christmas eve I tore into the poor xj. I picked up a rustys 3 inch lift from shadyluke. Springs, shocks add a leafs, solid lower control arms, and adjustable uppers. After some love with an angle grinder and many other persuasive tools this is how she sits

Overall im happy with how it turned out. I will end up needing an sye, to replace the t case drop, and I will be switching to full leaf packs and probably be doing a shackle relocation to achieve good down travle to complement the limited up travle I will have with the 31's
    I will update this as I go, I really hope I can make this trip work out

• Well, cb radio, adjustable tracbar, contol arm skids, nitro shocks of some kind, auxiliary lights, to name a few. I would love to come up with some kind of roof rack but we will see about that. There will end up being other things along the way.

• I took a Cherokee with a 3 inch lift and 31s to Moab sometime back around 98. You can do a fair amount, but you are limited to mostly scenic trails. Even with lockers good tires you are just limited by ground clearance and terrain.

That being said, there are a lot of gorgeous scenic trails you can take and you can make it as challenging as you want.

If you plan on going by yourself, budget in a GOOD winch, straps, d-rings and snatch blocks. Things can go wrong out there in a hurry, and there can be no one else coming along for days.

• I didn't get to do as many of the trails as I wanted, but with a good

Well, cb radio, adjustable tracbar, contol arm skids, nitro shocks of some kind, auxiliary lights, to name a few. I would love to come up with some kind of roof rack but we will see about that. There will end up being other things along the way.

Unless you want to free up the cargo area for a bed, I would avoid a roof rack. Kills your gas mileage, especially if it's loaded and will make it top heavy. There aren't that many scary off-camber spots out there, but the ones that are... you don't want to roll. lol I might be able to give you a rear window interior rack though (metal cage looking thing).

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Thinking about lights... we hopefully won't need off-road lights on the trip, and then only the front vehicle will be using them. But, reverse or flood lights are nice for the campsite. I've got a pair of small but very bright LEDs that served as reverse/flood lights. Upgrading the headlights will be more useful. The IPF lights have the strongest lenses (if that's a concern for you) and the Hella E-Codes have the best beam pattern.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• I would think a stock jk would do everything my 3 inches on 31's xj would do.
    Also you are probably right about the roof rack jerry. Im not a fan of them either, the interior rack sounds like a great idea. Headlight upgrade is a definite plan even without a trip. Also front tow points, forgot that one.

• These "back road" books by Charles Wells are really good for giving descriptions of the trail terrain/difficulty to expect and location of trails. At least at the time that he wrote the moab one (edition that I have) he was on a TJ with 4" lift and 35" tires and locked, so you gotta take that into consideration with how he rates it. (but he says what he has in the beginning of the book)

http://www.amazon.com/Colorado…words=colorado+back+roads

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Ba…&keywords=utah+back+roads

• I would think a stock jk would do everything my 3 inches on 31's xj would do.

I agree. It took 3" of lift on our XJ just to fit JK wheels/tires...and then was left with significantly less suspension travel than a stock JK would have with the same wheels/tires.

Headlight upgrade is a definite plan even without a trip. Also front tow points, forgot that one.

I put some Delta housings in mine that I bought used from a member here and then put in the full harness to get power right from the battery. Hard to say about before/after as I was solving an existing problem, but the end result was very satisfying to me.

I really like the front tow hook design from these guys. --> http://www.ironrockoffroad.com…IR-XTHM&Category_Code=PFX
    Never got around to picking the kit up but it was in my list of parts to get at some point. Might as well just have a good hitch with center hook for the back.

• I was just looking at that tow hook setup. It looks like the best one I have seen on the market. I have a class 3 curt hitch on the back now. Put that on before my thanksgiving trip to obx.

As for the jk I would say at a minimum add some skids.

• I'd love to be able to make it out there. Jerry what lift/tires size are you running? And did you need the locker? What would be a baseline of upgrades needed to handle this type of trip?

I was a stock JK Rubi last year... factory 32" BFG MTs and added the ACE side steps and a JCR engine skid. I ran Fins and Things fully loaded and didn't air down. Scraped the frame a little (not quite high center) on an optional harder section of the trail. If I had aired down, I probably would have had to back out of that spot. I used the lockers for the hard sections (just steep climbs) of that trail and for a surprise trail I found at Arches National Park. The trail at Arches was far harder than Fins and Things, I don't think I needed the lockers, but I was in a hurry so I used them. As for a minimum, I'd say 31s for XJs with a true 3" lift. TJs 31s or 32s with a 2" lift. JKs 32s or better, but a lift is better for ride quality. Lift height sag from being loaded with gear is an issue to keep in mind, progressive-rate springs will be a good idea for somebody who doesn't have a lift yet. Bumpstops and gas-charged shocks are important, too... most of the trails are primarily scenic so I was blasting along. One trail I want to repeat next year is 80 miles long and didn't really need 4wd (unless it's wet/muddy) and I overheated my shocks. Man, the ride got rough then. lol I'll go slower next year and do it in two days with a campsite reserved in the middle of the trail.

I never touched the engine skid, but I think I smacked one of the steps at the Arches trail. But, I've always been good about picking lines that will keep that area safe... I learned fast after killing a trans crossmember with my XJ.

I have the Moab and CO books from Charles Wells and the trail ratings are a little subjective I think. He rated Fins and Things as "Difficult" (Easy-Family Fun Runs, Moderate-Sport Utility Adventures, Difficult-Hard-Core Challenges) and I ran it solo with no issues. But, the trail at Arches he rated as Moderate. That could be due to erosion making the section a lot harder since he wrote the book, I dunno. I think maybe our Rausch Creek and Paragon ratings have biased our trail level ideas.

"Easy" talk aside, I do want to find some harder trails next time, and run Hells Revenge (because, why not!). Supposedly a stock TJ can do Hells Revenge with a good spotter.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Yes you can get through hells revenge on a stock jeep. Its mainly petrified sand dune. You wont beable to do hells gate or escalator but you can watch others. Also i would not go into to hot tubs.

I think part of the books ratings consider the remoteness of the trails and difficultly you can have getting out. For example Pritchetts Canyon is not that hard. A short arm locked tj on 33's and a winch can do it but if you break it can take days to get off. i would say that the terain itself would be considered a blue at rc. Btw, pc is rated the hardest trail in moab.

• Yeah, it's just a different world out there. I would be sweating if I was on 33s because you're tens of miles away from reaching a highway and you have no cell phone reception ... with like 50 obstacles in between you and your start or end. So if you're stressing on a blue/black, you gotta do it 50 times before you are sure you can get back home. And then you still have to be drivable for another 30 min until you're back in Moab.

It's a little different than being a couple mile walk from the RC parking lot and being able to call the front office if you really need help. Kinda learned that the hard way. One of the many things I saw being useful out there that I never would have thought of from towing to RC are the big off road led light bars; when Gavan put a set on his Jeep it really lit up everything around him really well.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!