SYE: Choices/Prefs

• So now that I have the Jeep back on the road, I've been reminded how much I do not enjoy Chloe's constant Shiatsu massage! She has some pretty significant vibes from 35mph to ~45/50 mph. The vibes are somewhat there even after I get over 50mph but they are about 95% less after that. This was an issue before the trans was rebuilt. I just rebuilt both drive shafts with all new ujoints and greased it all up but I still have those vibes. I'm not sure if it's just been so long since I drove the Jeep that I may be remembering wrong but the vibes seem a little harsher than in the past.

Well the main reason of this post is that I am looking to install a SYE and CV driveshaft before summer (if possible) and would like some recommendations and real world feedback.

1. What brand SYE? I've heard of AA, Rugged Ridge, Alloy USA, Crown, Hack-n-Tap, etc. but I'd like to know what's the best bang for your buck. I'd like to stay away from the H&T kit. I've already found 2 of them online though I haven't searched eBay yet. Isn't there a distributor there IIRC?
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B5…LD6&coliid=I2WDXRSTS5JE55

http://www.amazon.com/Rugged-R…eliminator#productDetails

2. Drive shafts? I know there are 2 options here. I can get a built driveshaft or have an XJ shaft cut and balanced. What are the pros and cons of each method? Is there a local shop that will modify an XJ shaft? Is there a significant difference between buying a brand such as a Tom Woods shaft compared to a Rugged Ridge shaft?

Thanks in advance for any input. I am trying to keep costs in check but I also don't want to be replacing subpar equipment.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• let's make sure that your drive shaft angles are way off first. If they look good, then I can't say an SYE will solve your vibe issues. Just buy a crappy angle finder if you don't have one. Usually Jeeps in YJ/TJ land with 4" of lift require them. The YJs should be set directly at the tcase, the TJs should be set just below, to allow for squat under drive. Stu-offroad has a really nice write up on setting the angle. EDIT: don't forget to do the tummy tuck and get rid of any tcase drop at this time if you go forward with the SYE.

When I bought mine, the best prices I found for the SYE were performance off road center and I bought Tatton's shafts from ebay both before and after the 1 ton build.

• Thanks Sal. I'll pick up an angle finder today after work. I have Stu's page bookmarked as I've had to reference it many times in the past.

I guess some stats would be in order here.

Skyjacker 3" lift
    2" xfer case drop (?)IIRC...I'll have to measure a spacer to be sure
    NP231J xfer case
    TF999 3 spd auto
    No motor mount lift that I know of
    New ujoints upper and lower on both drive shafts
    New transmission mount last year - rubber pc is in excellent shape

• I wouldn't suspect you to have vibes due to the driveshaft angle if you already have a tcase drop, but you should check the angle anyways. The more off road use the Jeep gets, everything tends to wear, every control arm bushing, every tie rod end, it could be a needle in a hay stack or a little bit of everything. But let us know what angle you find.

• Did u shim the axle when u did the lift? A 4* shim would probably fix the issue. Although the sye,cv is a smart upgrade. I would recomend staying away from the hack and tap. Not really any kind of strength upgrade. Just get one of the import kits they are all the same. Steve day has a gift cert that he is selling at a discount and u can use it to buy a shaft. Make him an offer.

• i put a jp conversions SYE on my jeep when we did the lift and havent had any issues since

Btw the last time a checked jb was the last made in usa sye left.

• I have a $300 gift cert for a custom drive shaft shop you can have for $225. Pm if intrested

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I got the advance adapters. Its a nice sye but Ive heard they are basically all the same anyway. I would have gotten the super short setup if I did it again to help out my angles though. As for driveshafts, I used to get xj shafts rebuilt but after I got burnt on the last one at Gregory's in Horsham (don't go there, they will rip you off) I think I might try a shaft from Tattons, Ive heard good things about them and there prices are killer.

• Thanks y'all for the information. I definitely have some shopping around to do, it seems. How much difference does the "super shorty's" make? Is it worth the extra coin? I'm only running a 3" lift and don't plan to go any higher anywhere in the forseeable future.

I picked up an angle finder yesterday but I was a bit rushed to get to the range last night to qualify for my CC class. After a little over 3 hours there, I wasn't going to crawl under the Jeep in the cold. More info later today.

• Meh... I've verified that my speedo's about 8-10mph off anyways. Normally I just use the speed app on my phone when I'm driving.

You can order a new speedo gear from quad for like 12 bucks. Swaps out really easy. I would just go with the PORC SYE. Its good quality and consistantly the best priced. Installing one is pretty simple, I think I saw Aaron do one with his eyes closed in 15 min once. I did mine in the jeep when I was a noob and didn't realize how easy a YJ t-case is to remove.

• let's make sure that your drive shaft angles are way off first. If they look good, then I can't say an SYE will solve your vibe issues. Just buy a crappy angle finder if you don't have one. Usually Jeeps in YJ/TJ land with 4" of lift require them. The YJs should be set directly at the tcase, the TJs should be set just below, to allow for squat under drive. Stu-offroad has a really nice write up on setting the angle. EDIT: don't forget to do the tummy tuck and get rid of any tcase drop at this time if you go forward with the SYE.

When I bought mine, the best prices I found for the SYE were performance off road center and I bought Tatton's shafts from ebay both before and after the 1 ton build.

This is not correct.

2 u-joint driveshafts should be set like this:

This would be proper for an SYE:

Without the CV and the axle pointed at the TC, the 2 u-joints will be totally out of phase and will cause major vibes and eventual failure.

• If you had highlighted the sentence immediately prior in addition to the one highlighted, I think you would have understood the context in which I was speaking. But to your point, the angles should be checked given the type of setup/shaft you have.

• Alrighty... I got to this later than I wanted but here it is.

Lower joint:

Where I measured at:

Upper joint:

Where I measured (level w/ shaft):

Angle of driveshaft:

Driveshaft:

Misc pics:

• Measured it from the wrong spot on the casting. That surface is not perpendicular to the yoke. Either measure off the face of the yoke or off the machined surface that the cover bolts to. I usually just put it on the bolt heads of the verticle bolts on the cover.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!