Recharging the HVAC system

• Now that the heater core swap is complete in the 98 TJ, I need to recharge the HVAC. I bought two 12-ounce cans of 134a yesterday thinking this would be an easy Saturday project.....but today I learned that it's necessary to evacuate the lines first. I understand there's a special tool/machine for this job. Rather than pay a service center to do the job, is anyone in the Dover area (who has this device) interested in helping me out for pizza and beer? (I'll come to you, but be aware that I have nice garage.) Thanks.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• The tool/Machine is big money shop equipment. Unless someone here has their own shop I doubt anyone owns one. Evacuating the system is not totally necessary. If it was working well before replacing the heater core and evap core and you know you have no leaks, you should be able to just throw a few cans of 134a and maybe a can of oil in it and wish it well.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• The tool/Machine is big money shop equipment. Unless someone here has their own shop I doubt anyone owns one. Evacuating the system is not totally necessary. If it was working well before replacing the heater core and evap core and you know you have no leaks, you should be able to just throw a few cans of 134a and maybe a can of oil in it and wish it well.

Not really.

Assuming he had to disconnect the evaporator then there is air in it and it will have to be purged down and then recharged.

And like you said, most hobbiest don't have that equipment.

• Not really.

Assuming he had to disconnect the evaporator then there is air in it and it will have to be purged down and then recharged.

And like you said, most hobbiest don't have that equipment.

Ill admit having someone purge it is the correct way, but Ive done it twice with out purging with no problems, but I'm cheap.

• Well, as usual I got some good input...thanks! The Dover AFB automotive hobby shop has a certified pro who will charge me $50 plus the 134a cost to do the entire job. I just sit in a chair while he works. I'm guessing the bottom line will be around $75. (I'm not allowed to bring my own 134a into the shop.) So, I'm leaning in that direction now. I'm assuming that's better pricing than I'd get elsewhere.

• Well, as usual I got some good input...thanks! The Dover AFB automotive hobby shop has a certified pro who will charge me $50 plus the 134a cost to do the entire job. I just sit in a chair while he works. I'm guessing the bottom line will be around $75. (I'm not allowed to bring my own 134a into the shop.) So, I'm leaning in that direction now. I'm assuming that's better pricing than I'd get elsewhere.

Thats a great price.....I would do that.

• If you drive it to my shop in Wilmington I'll suck it down for free and you can fill it up yourself with your own refrigerant. I have all the equipment. But that being said its not a good idea to fill it up when its cold out. You should wait till spring time because when you put in the refrigerant it will frost up and freeze the lines and take forever to fill. I do A/C recovery and recharging all the time. So if you wait till spring I'll let you use my equipment free. Let me know.

1999 Grand Cherokee WJ 3" lift JK Moabs 31" tire
    1993 Grand Cherokee 7" Long Arm, Badgeless, SOLD
    1981 CJ-7 4" Lift, 31" MTR's, Pretty Blue

• Andy and Jay, the only thing I'll say about the wintertime charging is that I was told running the defroster without the 134a is a bad idea. The refrigerant has lubricants in it that need to circulate. The guy who told me that is pretty smart. Knowing how Murphy's Law works for me, I imagine I'll be running my defroster here and there before warm weather. So I'm not so sure waiting until spring is a good idea for me. Your thoughts....

• You can try to run the defroster all you want, without the oil, a lot of the modern compressors won't run. I know the one in my XJ wouldn't run. So, you can use it in the defroster vent setting if you need to deice the windshield. You just won't be able to clear off fog as easily.

A neighbor of mine is an AC tech by trade (maintains stuff at UD) but he's a bit of a drive for you to see. Like jaytj said, there are tricks, so I'm sure the guy at the hobby shop can fix you up. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Edited once, last by whatevah ().

• As a follow-up, I'd like to give a thanks to jaytj01 for not only recharging my HVAC this morning, but also for sharing some of his knowledge. If anyone needs help with HVAC, put Jay on your short list of Jeepers to call.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!