Ok need some input.

• With a baby on the way in the next 5 weeks and us buying a house, we are talking about getting rid of my truck for a jeep unlimited, the TJ model. The reason we are looking at doing this is because it would make our monthly payment half of what it is now. Basically paying for daycare and the added health insurance. My question is for thos of you with the TJ unlimiteds, for those of you that I don't know I had a 98 TJ so I know the size restrictions for the basic TJ. I just want to weight all my options before we get rid of the truck.

1 do you have kids?
    2 how easily can you fit everything when going on the beach.
    3 also we have 2 dogs, 1 of which we will be taking to the beach.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Having had both the TJ (not unlimited) and a truck and having had two young kids at the time, I'd say stick with the truck or sell your new one and buy an older used one. OR buy a car. I know it's not what you want to hear but the TJ's are horrible for trying to get a kid in a car seat from outside. You end up kneeling on the front seat all the time and I'd imagine with an Unlimited that you would have a harder time due to the seat being a little further back.

Just my opinion.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I think you would be much happier with a Grand. After my cherokee got wrecked I had to decide on a new DD small family SUV. I picked out a 2001 4runner. It had some nice options lower miles andI paid cash. We have a 10 month old and a 5 year old. You will HATE having a TJ, even the unlimited. Rear doors are a must and as much space in the back for stroller, pack and play, dog, and other junk adds up quick.
    I would even consider picking up a Chevy tahoe. If you drive gently you can get ok fuel economy for a full size.

• It does suck. My daughter is 2 1/2 now and Ive had my TJ since she was born as my dd. My wife dident work for the first year though so she was almost out of the enormous stroller/car seat that hardly fits in a tj by the time I had her in there daily. He's right though, the issue isnt space but actually getting back there. When she was smaller I would actually put her in through the back since she was rear facing. Now she is big enough to climb back herself and I only have to turn and buckle her. I guess an lj would give you more space for a stroller and whatever other baby junk you need to lug around. Its still a 2 door so its still a pain, Its doable though. We drove my wifes crossover most of the time to avoid the hassle, I ended up getting a hitch rack to carry the extra stuff when we took my jeep. I would make sure you have at least one 4-door though.

• Having had both the TJ (not unlimited) and a truck and having had two young kids at the time, I'd say stick with the truck or sell your new one and buy an older used one. OR buy a car. I know it's not what you want to hear but the TJ's are horrible for trying to get a kid in a car seat from outside. You end up kneeling on the front seat all the time and I'd imagine with an Unlimited that you would have a harder time due to the seat being a little further back.

Just my opinion.

x2 on what Brian said. Getting my kids in the YJ and buckled was a pain and they were old enough to climb into the seat after I lifted them up into the Jeep. It's already tight quarters and I wouldn't think of trying to load up the dog too unless the dog is small or very well behaved and won't trample the baby trying to look out a window. I vote for an older truck or depending if you can find a good deal... a JKU. My brother hasn't had any issues with space since my nephew was born and he's now 3yo. Plus it has anchors for car seats which is a BIG + IMO. I'm not sure if TJs have them or not.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I know it's not what you want to hear but the TJ's are horrible for trying to get a kid in a car seat from outside. You end up kneeling on the front seat all the time and I'd imagine with an Unlimited that you would have a harder time due to the seat being a little further back.

x3 or 4 or whatever...

YES! It's a HUGE PITA and that is with my 2 1/2 yo. I can't imagine trying to do it with an infant. One thing I've learned and I've bought and sold a lot of cars/trucks/Jeeps/boats/motorcycles etc... is that you almost come out on top doing that swap. Since you have payments the truck sounds pretty new and I would imagine it's mechanically sound. Getting an older Jeep yea you will end up spending less / month but it will likely end up costing more in repairs upkeep etc.

Also with a Jeep there is the safety concerns. Not sure about any of the other parents out there but I am always a little nervous driving with my daughter in the Jeep. I'm looking to add an AtoZ cage but that's a pretty expensive add on so if repairs haven't nuked your savings a cage surely will.

Finally I know exactly where you're mind is right now. Just before my daughter was born I was doing the same thing. My wife didn't work for 6 months and then just 12 hrs/wk after that for the next 2 years. I sold my truck and bought a Honda Accord for $900. Drove it for 14 months and traded it in on my wife's Rogue for $1200. I did 2 oil changes and slapped new wipers on it. That worked out well for me but there are 10 examples that didn't work so well.

Ultimately you will have to decide how to reduce your spend but I would suggest you keep the truck and only use that as a last option.

• Yeah, you all make good points, we have my wifes Equinox that we just paided off. So it will be the main baby vehicle. But we enjoy the beach. 90 percentof the time its just me in my vehicle. I am not gonna get a GC I had one for a few years and liked it but I felt like my TJ had more room in the back.
    I am thinking just get a second job and keep the truck. The more I think about the boats and trailers I pull it makes more sense. Thanks for all the input.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• I'm going to go against the grain on this one. It all depends on you and your family. We always did a lot of traveling and my kids were happy to go.

I had (still have) a TJ and we traveled all over with two kids and a small dog (30 lbs). We did a ten-day trip up and down the east coast in that thing with both kids in child seats (three and five) without issue. Is it ideal? No way. Is it fun to be able to drop the top and ride through the mountains of Georgia and North Carolina and find some dirt roads? Hell yes.

We also did a ton of trips down to VA to drive on the beach and have a fire. We did those, down and back in the same day. We got a portable DVD set up for the road trip and we played Star Wars once, but for the most part we talked and checked out the scenery. You learn to travel light and take only what you really need. Getting the kids in and out of the back isn't as easy as opening a back door and plopping them in a seat, but only you can decide what's worth the extra effort.

In 2011 I bought a Dodge Magnum R/T and it's a killer road trip car, but I still take the Jeep half the time anyway. YMMV

• 1) too small, and a huge PITA to get an infant/toddler in and out
    2) you can't, plan on a rack of some sort
    3) nope. Not going to fit, sorry bro.
    4) what are the chances you will leave it stock?

IMHO if you are looking to reduce payment and keep size, look for a WJ or WK (if you get the WK get one with a DVD player, trust me) They do fine on the sand and have TONS more room

• Billy's probably the best one to talk too as he has a JK, 3 Kids and loads that sucker down!

That being said, I have loaded up my TJ with carseat, kids, toys, fishing gear and managed. A 4 door would have been a lot easier as like when we used Brian's Liberty.

I can fit in the back of my behind the seat: pack & play, beach umbrella (or the EZ Up fit in the back seat floor) tackle box, sand spike, board, kiddie pool, shovel, and this was all just for me & Sammi to go. I would put the diaper bag and beach bag in the backseat or floor and make sure they were secure - you can buckle anything in. Without a passenger I had additional room in the front seat.

Keep in mind the TJ only has 2 back seats, so I would shove the baby seat in and slide front seat to help make sure it wasn't going anywhere. This also works at RC.

Now you have the dogs too which is where the 4 door will be much nicer with the space in the back.

Hitch racks & pole holders make lots of space outside which you already know.

You are not going to comfortably fit the 3 of you + a dog + gear unless you are a serious minimialist but even then certain things are required. Not saying its not doable, just saying it will be cramped.

Oh and for all the trips I've done in my TJ with kids - I wouldn't have it any other way adn neither would they.

If it helps I'm sure there's pics on my fb and Billy's with the jeeps all loaded down. Captain has made trips with wife, dog & adult son. Its all a matter of what you really want . . .

• Back in 2005, I wanted a Wrangler but have three school age kids so a vehicle with four seatbelts wasn't really an option. I went with the Liberty and loved it. Plenty of room in the back for our beach gear and all five of us could fit. The kids were smaller then (15, 14 & 6) though. When we brought our dog, we loaded up our beach gear in a soft roof top carrier and the dog rode in the back (barking at every motorcyclist that was near).

Fast forward to 2012, one kid was in the USAF, the other older one wasn't riding with us much so I finally got the JK. I also added a receiver hitch and got a rack to carry our beach gear or luggage when we go on vacation. I've wanted a Wrangler as long as I've been driving but one way or another, it never worked out.

Bottom line, it's what you're willing sacrifice vs benefits of the TJU for the length of time you'll have it and how the financial situation works out. It sounds like you have a good handle on these. I would go with my gut instinct.

• Yeah sounds like the truck might be staying. The more we talk about it the more we would have to give up for the lower payment. Guess I will just work a second job.

• I have a 2005 Unlimited. Ours has a 3 1/2 lift running 33s. Its been a few years since we have had to deal with a car seat but i will tell you this. I didn't have any issues with it with the top off. Its really easy to put a little one in and out that way. Having to put the little one in with the top on is a pain in the rear because i would have to climb all the way in and there isn't enough room for me since i'm 6 ft. Never took it to the beach but have been camping/off roading. Taking all the equipment requires a trailer. If we would have had the dogs at that time it would have been a 2 vehicle trip. i will admit i love the space behind the seat in the 05 compared to my 2011 2 dr.

• Tj unlimited? You talking about an LJ?

I had one with 2 kids in car seats iit wasn't bad. Not as easy as a 4 door vehicle but it was not bad. I had an old Chevy extended pic up that didnt have 4 doors and that was worse

• ALso if your looking to add income with the new baby comes more tax deductions. New house as well. Think about changing your withholding number. I claimed 0 for years and was always getting back around 10k every year in a refund. Decided Id rather have the money in my check and not give the Govt an interest free loan. So I changed my withholding numbers and my check went up about $450 a month and Im still getting back about 4 grand this year

• Yeah brad I would and still might but they are a lot of money even used with a lot of miles

• Or a 4.7 or 5.7 WK/XK with Quadra Drive II

Start at about 10k with 100k miles

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• Yeah I am not sure I want a grand, maybe though. Problem is I won't be able to leave any of them stock

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!