Trail report & pics - May 17 2014 Members Appreciation Ride

• Lets get the report and pics thread going... here's the report from the Green/Blue group.

After everybody had finally made it through the 3-mile long line to pay at the office, the DEJA guys met up in the comp course and divided into groups... For the Green/Blue group, we had myself, Keith.eric, Kuntryboy816, Kuntryboy816's brother Chris with a JKU and MellowYellow. We drove through the comp course to bypass the crowd in the parking lot and took the A-B-C trails to the Pole Line and went down the hill section back to B then to trail 2. I think all of us stayed in the blue sections at the beginning of the trail, rather than do the green right section. Then, we all made it over the hill (maybe with a hill momentum...) and carefully avoided the Frog Hole.

We finished trail 2 at the Pole Line and discovered two Jeeps in a little trouble. A JKU didn't read the sign and got stuck in the 5-foot deep hole, then killed his clutch or trans trying to get out. His buddy pulled him out, but the dead JKU ran over the strap... so we had MellowYellow line up to pull the dead rig off of the strap so we could get past them. Plus, we were blocking in some black/red guys that wanted to move along. We moved up to continue trail 2 up to Crawlers Ridge... had to break out the strap again for one of the JKUs but moved along quickly, but caught up with a 'yota crew having trouble with the black/red crew stuck behind them. So, we take the bypass/shortcut/whatever to D then stopped at the base of Crawlers Ridge for lunch. We saw one group head up the black side of the ridge, then went to the TFT trail via D/B. There, we caught a 'Yota group and got to follow them for a while... had a little incident where the YJ spring ubolts were stuck on one of the many too-tall tree stumps and ended up using a bottle jack to raise the axle enough to get rocks under the tires. Then pulled the strap again at the end of the trail to get one of the JKUs over a hill.

TFT complete, back down E to the second half of the 101 trail then took a shortcut down to the Power Line, played briefly at the loose rock play area until the NYC group crashed the party... we took the Power Line down to a shortcut to H, then took 11 to 14 but it looked like 3 slow groups were backed up onto 11 so we kept going to J, then ran the 15 trail back around to J and went downhill on 12A. That took us back to 11 and we stopped at the big intersection of 11/H/J to meet up with NandosJK then ran 12B and 12C before returning to H (behind the NYC crew... slow.) Then we took Tower Road back to the Pole Line. Back on the East property, we went up the hill at the top of the Pole Line, then stopped for flexing on the "picnic area" steps before turning to the parking lot.

I don't have any pics, so... I'll rely on others for those, and for the other trail leaders for their reports. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Thanks, Jerry for leading our group! It was a great ride and I had a blast.
    I took a bunch of pictures, but my phone was mounted to the windshield so most of the pictures are of the ass-end of Jerry's Jeep. :doh:
    Here's a few I liked especially:

And here's the whole album.

• Thanks for all the help getting my jeep on the road after the day was over yesterday! It ran like CRAP sputtering and backfiring down the mountain and then by the time I hit the highway it seemed to clear out. Threw a new map sensor in it yesterday and its running good again. We had a great time thoguh! That was my first time at RC with a group that knows the trails well so I saw alot more of the park then Ive seen before. We dident get to many pics but heres a few.

• Well this was the virgin voyage to RC for both my brother and I. Saying that we had a blast was an understatement! Thanks to Jerry for leading our group! He navigated us through all the FJ's and NY/Jersey Jeeps and kept us moving most of the day. I'm still lost on where we all went even after reading his trail report! :rolleyes: I was happy that I was able to keep up with the fancy schmancy JKs all day even if I was a bit more sore than the rest from all the bouncing around on leaf springs. I didn't get a whole lot of pics as I was intensely concentrating on the trails. I liked the Tatas trail (even if I did gut hung up on that stump). It's hill climb at the end was fun even though we had Mr. & Mrs. Let-us-inform-you-on-how-to properly-recover-a-jeep educate us on the Do's & Don'ts of pulling a vehicle off the crest of a hill. ::) I have a couple videos I'll load up later as well.

Group photo after MellowYellow yanked the baja'in JK out of the deep water

Chris stuck on the frame... not sure if this is Pizza Rock (me and Bob were trying to figure it out)
    [img width=896 height=1200]http://www.delawareja.com/gall…nloadItem&g2_itemId=44794[/img]

We had a good sized (3'-4') black rat snake hold us up on one of the trails descending from the big intersection

Keith flexing out the new lift

Chris flexing out on the stairs

Chloe unloaded after a long hard weekend workout

Cleaned up and feeling like a million bucks

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I was kind of disappointed Jeremy had gas for Sal. If I had to strap him back to camp, we were going to be doing it at 30 MPH. :suspicious:

Great pics guys!!!

• Dave taking the hill climb easily.
    [youtube]EH96HKgA8lo[/youtube]

Don't remember if this was the frog hole or not.
    [youtube]qXJlPkV9qiQ[/youtube]

Chris riding the frame and our first recovery of the day. I think if his front tire had caught that rock instead of him pushing it to the side he might have cleared it okay.
    [youtube]_ii0GwEZ8EY[/youtube]

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I'm not doing 40's on my Jeep so I figured drinking a 40 is the next closest thing. :)

Nando and I got a late start after waiting in line for almost an hour to get registered and caught up with 2000Sahara, JeepSahara, Tonka, Tattookid85, JeffsJK, Hookedonthebay and J-man who were already out. We hit Cemetary first where 2000Sahara romped on the gas at the hill climb and trashed his rear drive shaft. We ran over and did 22 where Tattookid flipped his front passenger shackle hanger, he parked the tire on a rock and I winched on it until it flipped back. Then there was a short hill climb by Lake Christy (not sure if it's Sunken Treasure or even if it has a name). From there we went to Camelback which had a group stuck on it, we did all 3 parts of Snakebite and I ran down to Camelback solo to see that the group was still there so we all headed over to 8 hitting that same unknown hill climb this time up. JeepSahara got a little off course on the climb and took out his front track bar and shifted his axle over though we didn't realize it for a few minutes until he tried to turn left. He headed back and trailered up. From 8 we did 4 and tried to hit Yellow Jacket but there was another group stuck on it. Did CV Trail with about half of the remaining group taking the Walk in the Park hard side and half taking the by pass. Then we jumped over and did the loop around 1c, 1, 1a. 1c had some pretty deep water at the end which got a few good shrieks out of JeffsJK's kids. J-Man decided to do the pit with a small river through it by 1 which completely swallowed his 38.5 tires but he made it through with only a little mud splashed inside. We finished up hitting Hill Climb, 6 and some of the other nameless hills by the comp course before heading back to grab dinner and beers. I didn't record the GPS but we covered a pretty decent amount of ground that day. Other than Ed breaking, which didn't take that long, we really didn't get hung up or have any problems.

I think the idea of moving the member ride to a warmer month was a success. We had basically the same number of vehicles out as when it was in the fall but we had a decent amount of people staying over and/or able to hang out longer after plus I think most of the groups wheeled until around 4pm which is later than we did in the fall. It was a bit unseasonably cold, it probably should have been a lot warmer especially at night but that seems to be a symptom of the weather this year in general. I'm open to suggestions here and via PM if anyone has thoughts, good or bad, on continuing to do it in the spring.

• i had a blast, but again...concentrating on driving, and not so much on pics. I did however decide after this trip, it was time for a GoPro, so next time it will be mounted up and ready for some action shots.

• Here's the only 2 pics I took[URL=http://s707.photobucket.com/user/TrademarkJeff/media/rock%20crawling/IMG_20140517_112931_514.jpg.html]
    [URL=http://s707.photobucket.com/user/TrademarkJeff/media/rock%20crawling/IMG_20140517_155842_373.jpg.html]

• I'm open to suggestions here and via PM if anyone has thoughts, good or bad, on continuing to do it in the spring.

Im glad it was in the spring and hope it continues. Im to busy around thanksgiving to make the previous date so I was glad to see it get changed this year.

• Thanks to the club and the BOD for another great ride!
    Our group started out with me (Shorebird), Scrambler8, Freckles523, and TheDarkSide. On the way out of the comp area we passed FZMax, Daddanelena, and Haugwild working on the linkage on Daddanelena's Atlas. They would catch up with us on the trail. We hit the shortcut to C from A and did a little rock stacking for Freckles523 at the end, keep in mind this is her first timer on the trails alone. We proceeded to the CV trail (blue) and the other 3 Jeeps caught up with us at the exit. We ran up C to 8 (black) where Freckles parked her JKU and hopped in with me. After completing 8 we headed to the West Property and avoided the Toyotas on the Power Line. The 12s (blue) were next with some of the group running a section of 20 (black). We jumped off on 15 (blue) and The group minus Freckles and me ran the black hillclimb to J1. The Dark Side called me for some spotting assistance at the exit so I drove up to meet him. He was ok when i got there. Haugwild broke something in his front axle on the climb and FZMax and Daddanelena lead him out to the exit. We ran 14 (green) back to 11 then hit 13 (purple) at the Rock Creek crossing The others caught back up with us and we went to 10a (blue) where TheDarkSide lost his fuel tank (yes fuel tank) I hooked up to him and towed out 10b to H and the long uphill climb out of the park and back to the camping area. The others rode a few more trails.

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!