so, would you run this inside your tent?

• Use to use a very similar propane heater when we camped out in Sullivan county bow hunting. Depending on tent size it may be too warm. We used ours in a canvas cabin style tent.

• It should be fine but should be doesn't mean there isn't a chance you won't wake up in the morning (or ever) due to carbon monoxide poisoning. What temp are you thinking about camping at? I would prob just invest in a warmer bag and throw a couple disposable pocket heaters in with you.

Resisting the urge to make the assumption this is because the Princess is asking for it...:)

• Resisting the urge to make the assumption this is because the Princess is asking for it... :)

:laughabove: I was wondering if that might be at play here!!

Honestly we've camped in low 40*s when it was rainy and felt colder and we did fine with a handful of those Hand Warmer packets in the sleeping bag with us.

• We took one on our trip but it didn't get cold enough to really need it. Had frost on the tent one night, but my bag was warm enough to not feel it. I was just going to open a window for extra air, but a ton of people use them indoors all the time.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Resisting the urge to make the assumption this is because the Princess is asking for it... :)

Haha, I don't think she even knows about it, just trying to stay ahead of the game. I'm just thinking back to that cold night we camped for the club comp and another and I don't want to repeat it without a little preparation. I've camped in low 20s and teens before with nothing but layers and a sleeping bag and having a heater isn't exactly a bad thing ...

I've never found a woman who was dying to live without plumbing for a weekend, found the ones who tolerated it, but none who strive for it. Hoping to have a few more weekends of hiking or camping this fall with something like this than with not. Plus, I think it could do double duty at some point.

Depending on tent size it may be too warm. We used ours in a canvas cabin style tent.

The tent size is also cause for concern, as I think this would work for a single car garage and my tent is small, but I don't expect it to hold in a ton of heat if I unzip a window or something similar

• Sal if your tent has the mesh roof with a detachable rain fly, permitting it's not raining, you could peel the fly back a bit for extra ventilation

• Haha, I don't think she even knows about it, just trying to stay ahead of the game. I'm just thinking back to that cold night we camped for the club comp and another and I don't want to repeat it without a little preparation. I've camped in low 20s and teens before with nothing but layers and a sleeping bag and having a heater isn't exactly a bad thing ...

I've never found a woman who was dying to live without plumbing for a weekend, found the ones who tolerated it, but none who strive for it. Hoping to have a few more weekends of hiking or camping this fall with something like this than with not. Plus, I think it could do double duty at some point.

You're spot on Sal. My wife is great but once she gets cold.... forget it! She's done. Are you camping at electric sites? A heated blanket or electric heater would be a lot safer.

• ive run them inside a house..never had an issue. carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air, so as long as you leave your vents open, it "should" rise out with the convection of the air. my tent has a little vent at the bottom to help with this.

however..i always lean on the side of safety (most of the time) i say let it heat up the tent, blankets, mats (if you use them) then shut it off before going to bed....and fire it up if you need it (i doubt you will) id rather invest in a better bag, than have to risk this outdoors. (unless you can get a battery operated CO detector)

• ive run them inside a house..never had an issue. carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air, so as long as you leave your vents open, it "should" rise out with the convection of the air. my tent has a little vent at the bottom to help with this.

however..i always lean on the side of safety (most of the time) i say let it heat up the tent, blankets, mats (if you use them) then shut it off before going to bed....and fire it up if you need it (i doubt you will) id rather invest in a better bag, than have to risk this outdoors. (unless you can get a battery operated CO detector)

Yeah, I thought about bringing the CO detector from the house with me, but if I would be that worried I'd rather just not get it for the tent at all. I think I'm leaning towards getting it because my tent has big windows and a big vent at the top. I'm not in a rush yet, but if I do grab it or the smaller one I'll probably set it up for an hour in the backyard within range of wi-fi and see how things feel in the tent with my usual sleeping gear.

Thanks guys.

• I used the Mr Heater at GWNF several times and lived to talk about it.

It makes a big difference.

Typically runs about 4-5 hrs on the small lp bottle.

Cool, yeah I think their website said 5.5 - 6 hours on the 1 lb bottle. That's why I don't want to get the smallest, as it only hooks up to the one pound (uses the bottle as a base), and the mid-size and above let you hook up to a 20lb tank with a hose. I just don't think it's ideal to deal with them or having to refill them.

Thanks, again.

• You can store your Mr. Heater right besides your Mr. Coffee and Mr. Radar

...sorry for the pointless feed back but my inner child could not resist this.

• We started out with one of those small ones.

Might help in a one-person pup type tent, but for anything bigger it's basically a hand warmer.

We would light the Mr Heater maybe 30 mins before turning in. It makes the adjustment to leaving the campfire and changing into sleeping clothes a little easier. Once you are asleep and acclimated if it goes out it's not as big a deal.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!