Urgent issup -FIXED

• So yesterday on the way to the Qtec sale, I blew the ujoint on the rear driveshaft at the pinion yoke. The straps were still tight and in place but I lost the cap on the one side. The small retainer tab on the pinion yoke broke off on one side. I just noticed it as I was reinstalling the driveshaft with a new ujoint and new straps. Question is, will the ujoint be ok without that retaining tab or will the cap eventually work it's way off again? Do I need to now replace the pinion yoke as well? I need an answer ASAP as this is my daily driver. I drove home on the front shaft from PA but I'm not sure how safe that is to continue doing so if needed.
    :help:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

Edited once, last by Kuntryboy816 ().

• Well, looks like I'll be ordering another yoke from Qtec tomorrow. I guess I should go ahead and replace the seal while I'm doing this. Will I need to replace the pinion spacer as well?

Also, my Haynes manual has a whole process of ft a king off the wheels and drums then measuring get preload torque and a few other Greek terms I didn't comprehend. I watched some YouTube video on the process and they referred to ensuring the nut was driven to the same depth as before removal and that should ensure the same torque load....? That makes more sense to me. Has anyone done this that could coach me thru or should I get a hold of Aaron??

• Remove the old yoke and put the new one on with a breaker bar. You will not beable to put enough force on it to affect the bearing preload. Just make it as tight as u can no need for a new crush sleave.

• When I redid my front pinion seal I marked a paint line across the pinion and nut, just tightened back up until everything lined back up...

Yes, that was the general rule of thumb in most of the videos. I figured that would be the best way to ensure it's all back on exactly how it came off. Did you have to use a puller to get the yoke out? If so, was it a necessity or just makes the removal easier? I've seen it used in all of the videos I've watched on Youtube. Not sure if I should buy one just to have it or rent it from AZone... :shrug:

• Yes, that was the general rule of thumb in most of the videos. I figured that would be the best way to ensure it's all back on exactly how it came off. Did you have to use a puller to get the yoke out? If so, was it a necessity or just makes the removal easier? I've seen it used in all of the videos I've watched on Youtube. Not sure if I should buy one just to have it or rent it from AZone... :shrug:

Everyone I've done came right off.

You will need a decent impact to get the nut off though.

• 50\50 on the need of a puller. Most tj yokes come off with a few wacks of the hammer. Most jk's require a puller. A puller should only be around $20 and is a good tool to have.

• Thanks y'all for the suggestions/directions so far! Hoping to get this done today after work. I'm going to stop at HF on the way home and grab a set of THESE just in case they're needed. If y'all have another suggestion whether qualtiy, price, safety related let me know. I'm not opposed to investing in a quality tool. Only reason I opted for these right now is b/c I (may) need it today.

• U know sears has decent quality craftsman pullers in stock. I get a few years out of them before they strip out and then they replace it.

• A big trick to using pullers is to put some load on it, smack the side of the stuck piece with a hammer, tighten some more, repeat. It will come loose.

And keep the lead screw well lubed.

• Yes, that was the general rule of thumb in most of the videos. I figured that would be the best way to ensure it's all back on exactly how it came off. Did you have to use a puller to get the yoke out? If so, was it a necessity or just makes the removal easier? I've seen it used in all of the videos I've watched on Youtube. Not sure if I should buy one just to have it or rent it from AZone... :shrug:

No a couple taps with a dead blow hammer and it came right off....

• Thank y'all for all the help and advice. I got the new pinion yoke installed this evening. The old one wasn't really difficult to take off. Impact zipped the yoke nut right off and a few taps with a rubber mallet is all it took to pull the yoke. It took a bit of persuasion to unseat the old oil seal but I finally sorted it out. The replacement seal threw me a little as the new ones don't have a flanged lip. Topped off the difference oil and the ATF in the xfer case. Good to go for now. Thanks again.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!