DEJA 3rd Annual Surf Fishing Tournament

• Well I hope you all have nice weather.

Unfortunately Coleman and I will not attend this year AGAIN. :soapbox:
    Cole can't get the day off and we start our vacation then also.

So as soon as he gets home from work we are on our way to the beach. The tournament will be way over by the time we get there.

Patti :(

• So, not to get this BACKon track, but the northern guys are meeting at Ches-Del at (gulp!) 6 am. Are you stopping as a group to buy bait someplace on the way down? Or should we have that taken care of by then?

• I plan on stopping by someplace on the way down once we get into Lewes unless someone knows a better place.

I'm not liking the 6:00am thing either, but thats what needs to be done to arrive down there by 8:00am. Hopefully next time we can start the fishing tournament alittle later for the us folks way up here.

• There used to be a place to get bait just before you went over the canal bridge before the state park, I think it was called Hoss' Bait shop, BUT, its closed this year. Ive gotten bait from the Bills sport shop, thats on Rt 1, before midway. Anyone just want me to pick up bait for them and then meet you out there with it?

• Quote from "fly-n-hi"

I'm not liking the 6:00am thing either, but thats what needs to be done to arrive down there by 8:00am. Hopefully next time we can start the fishing tournament alittle later for the us folks way up here.

C'mon now, us Slower Lower folks have to be on the road at 4:00am for Paragon or R/C. This is only once a year.

It really wouldn't matter to me if it was later next year. :peace:

• Quote from "scramblejim"

There used to be a place to get bait just before you went over the canal bridge before the state park, I think it was called Hoss' Bait shop, BUT, its closed this year.

Hoss died a few months back.

They auctioned his house and all the store stock a couple weeks ago.

• That store was opened by Hoss's ex wife I believe. She called it Hoss's Ex. His original place was over at the fishing pier. Hoss was a damn good fisherman. I remember him being on "The Southern Sportsman" with Frank White . (Anybody remember that show? :smile: I took his surf fishing class a couple of times. I learned a good deal from him. That was the biggest turnout for an auction I have ever seen. There were cars lined up a mile on each side of his house.

• Quote from "chuck"

His original place was over at the fishing pier.

Actually, his original place was at the corner of RT 1 and RT 24 where the new McDonalds sits now. That was mid to late 80's.

Hoss was underbid for the contract at the pier.
    A "couple" of ladies have it now. They are nice people.

• I was just kidding about the time, we're up at that time anyway if we're going to Paragon. No big deal. Cripes, I've got a kid now.....6 am is sleeping IN!

One other question, is everyone going rain or shine? I don't think Icky has given us a report yet, but last I saw it was t-storms Fri, Sat and Sun.

• Quote from "Keith_C"

Actually, his original place was at the corner of RT 1 and RT 24 where the new McDonalds sits now. That was mid to late 80's

Yep, it was. I thought about that after I posted earlier. :doh: Now, for 10 bonus points, what was the Roadhouse before it was the Roadhouse?(in the order which they appeared) :hmm: :spinrhead: :laughing:

• Quote from "chuck"

Yep, it was. I thought about that after I posted earlier. :doh: Now, for 10 bonus points, what was the Roadhouse before it was the Roadhouse?(in the order which they appeared) :hmm: :spinrhead: :laughing:

Yikes, your pushing the envelope on my available brain cells now.

I think when I first came here it was Long Branch, then Crystal Forest, then Ragtops, then Lou Ioneres, then Road House.

Probably a few I missed, some only lasted a couple months seems like.

• Quote from "Keith_C"

C'mon now, us Slower Lower folks have to be on the road at 4:00am for Paragon or R/C. This is only once a year.

Yeah, but you farm boys are used to getting up at the crack of dawn. 6 a.m. is SLEEPING IN for you guys. :rollsmile:

I'm not sure if I'm going if it is raining. That means I have to put the top on my Jeep which is something I strive NOT to do in the summer.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I know the weather forecast all depends on what channel you watch and not necessary what the weather is going to be, but from what I watched last night its supposed to be 88 and sunny. I think because the humidity creaping up again there is always a chance for a thunderstorm.

• I just checked the weather (for Rehoboth), and it had:

High: 85
    Humidity: 74%
    UV Index: 10 (very high)
    Chance of Precipitation: 10%

If it stays in that range, I'll be heading down, and meeting you guys at Ches-Del at 6am. If it's raining Saturday morning when I get up, I won't be going, so don't wait for me then.

Thanks for the offer to pick up bait Jim, but I guess we'll all just stop as a group on the way down.

And, I'm warning you all ahead of time, this is only the 2nd time I've ever gone surf fishing, and I suck at it. I was getting my "gear" ready last night, and other than the rod, it all fits in a upperware container big enough to hold a sandwich. Pretty sad really, I have 4 lures and have only opened one of them.

I would not recommend parking anywhere near where I might be "casting".

Glad the weather forcast is looking better.

• Paul, I go quite often and all the fishing gear I have fits in a 8x12x2 container. Its nothing like fresh water fishing where you have 1000 different lures and stuff.

I'll take your advise thou because I don't want to be heading to the hospital with a hook and peice of squid lodged into the back of my head :laughing:

• You can't be any worse then me. I lost half my pole the first time I went surf fishing. It was on the FIRST CAST too! I got a bunch of crap that I don't know what to do with so feel free to grab from my box. I'm not sure what it useful and what isn't.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "Slimer"

You can't be any worse then me. I lost half my pole the first time I went surf fishing. It was on the FIRST CAST too!

Ok John, you win!

My first cast wasn't that bad. Well, at least my pole stayed together, but the cast went about 100 yards straight up, and landed about 10 feet in front of me. And I think I may have killed a seagull.

• LOL...My fiance tried her hand at casting and the whole rig went straight up and landed on the beach about 5 ft from her. PS I have alot of extra surf fishing crap, cause my old man grew up in atlantic city surf fishing. As a matter of fact he ate fresh fish so much he didnt know fish smelled untill they moved away from the beach. However that still doesnt mean i catch anything when i fish. :shrug:
    Ed

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Quote from "wanderlust"

And, I'm warning you all ahead of time, this is only the 2nd time I've ever gone surf fishing, and I suck at it. I was getting my "gear" ready last night, and other than the rod, it all fits in a upperware container big enough to hold a sandwich. Pretty sad really, I have 4 lures and have only opened one of them.

Check out the hard core "meat" fisherman down at Indian River inlet sometime.

The carry their tackle out in a tin can. Mainly bucktails down there.

I've got a box of "stuff" that I've collected over the years, but really some sinkers and some hooks is all you need.

As far as the weather, standard summer forecast here is chance of t-storms. They rarely happen until late afternoon.

• Quote from "wanderlust"

One other question, is everyone going rain or shine? I don't think Icky has given us a report yet, but last I saw it was t-storms Fri, Sat and Sun.

I doubt Ill come if it rains, I hate getting wet when I go to the ocean.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!