Aftermarket Lockers

• If I have operated the search function properly, it looks like it's been a while since a discussion about lockers. I am thinking about getting an Eaton E-Locker for the rear differential. A few questions:

1) E-locker a good option? ARB air locker just seems like a major PITA.
    2) Smart to go only on the rear axle? I join the trail rides 4-5 times per year and take it on the beach. Not imagining any (intentional) trips down Rock Creek.
    3) Is this a mod that mechanical dummies can do in under two months?

I have a 2012 JKU Sahara - manual trans.

• I personally think e-lockers are the best option for a Jeep you drive on the road and I think the rear is the most effective off road so you're off to a great start.

You will need to replace the carrier in your rear and although you can do it yourself, I would just PM Aaron Stapen (astape) on here and get him to do it. You'll be better off.

• I like my set up and its all non selectable. Not bashing selectable lockers, but price (2x) and reliability can be a factor. More can go wrong.

I like my rear Detroit Locker,(around $500) I hardly know its there. Just an occasional click/pop or bang. The only Major con , is it can get a little squirrely in ice and snow. But you do get used to it. The big Pro is that they are super dependable with a rock solid rep, and always ready.

Front I use a Detroit True Track, gear driven limited slip. (around $400) Very well mannered on the road and trail, but does sometimes require a little power braking to torque balance to "lock", but it does this very well. Also since it is a limited slip, its a little easier on front axles and breakage. Also since you will need to change your carrier anyway, this is a very good option for the front.

Definitely good set up for blue / blacks at RC. So you can lock/LSD both your axles for the price of one ARB.

2 cents.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• 1) E-locker a good option? ARB air locker just seems like a major PITA.

A good option? yes. I have one in my front 60 and have been mostly happy with it. The only issue I'll note is that by design it has a funny 'ratcheting' when locked....ie. it's not a 'spool' per se, there is like 1/4-1/2 turn of play when locked. I am a fan of ARB's (we have them F&R in Jen's TJ) but the ease of running a couple wires to the elocker is far easier than plumbing airlines AND mounting/wiring the compressor/solenoids.

2) Smart to go only on the rear axle? I join the trail rides 4-5 times per year and take it on the beach. Not imagining any (intentional) trips down Rock Creek.

I see it debated all the time but my personal preference would be to lock the rear first...I have a detroit in the rear and just lock the front as needed, which isn't too often if not on something pretty difficult. Locking the front can be an issue if it's your DD, you don't go selectable, and use 4wd in the snow. A mechanical locker in the front on snow can have some really funky handling.

3) Is this a mod that mechanical dummies can do in under two months?

It's doable by yourself but you should know what you're doing as you at least need to check/adjust backlash if not changing your gears. I'd suggest having someone do it or at least help you with doing it if you've not messed with setting up gears in the past

--Ian

• Eaton's E-Locker is pretty nice. I know a while back they were changing the design a little to strength them. Their D30 model then was one of the strongest available. Having the electric lockers in the Rubicon makes me really appreciate selectable lockers. I had a Detroit in the rear of my XJ and it was nice having it engaged even in 2WD, but also make it a little annoying driving on the road in curves and such. As for front or rear... the rear axle is a bit stronger and typically when you need the extra grip offroad, it's climbing something and the front end doesn't have much weight on it.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I've got the E-Lockers front and rear and have been happy with them.

One thing to keep in mind is that locking them going faster than 3mph will grenade the locking pins and won't be covered under warranty.

So pick your switch placement carefully or add a secondary enable switch so a passenger can't inadvertanty lock it while going down the road at 55mph.

• The e-locker is a great choice, easy-no fuss operation. I have OX front and rear. They are super strong and come with an incredibley sturdy diff plate, but routing and setting up the cable is a bit of a chore. Once set up right, they are nice and since it's lever/cable actuated, can't short or leak.

All the other opinions for doing the rear are 100% good reasons. The only thing about rear only (I learned from when I only had my rear locked) is if u pull up to a verticals edge or large enough stump with only one front tire, you will more plow into it spinning the three tires pushing horizontally on flat ground rather than have the front locked and have the tire pull u up. Sorry if I didn't describe it well, but it can push instead of climb.

Def have Aaron (astape) do it, he does great work and has done both of my axles and engine swap and can teach you a lot along the way

• I have E-lockers front & rear,they performed well for about 7 months then the front just quit engaging.i called up the company I baught them from, first question,what size tires do you run? 35's . sorry if there not stock tires it voids the warrenty. which by the way is only one year.i tried going t o eaton directly & was told they only deal with the distributers . I called both companies so many times they stopped taking my calls & answering my emails. just my two cents.

• I've hears some good things about Yukon's offerings. Grizzly (Non selectable) and ZIP (AirSelectable) lockers. Apparently they have great customer support. Something to look into...

[img height=456 width=608]http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/se…loaded_images/lockers.jpg[/img]

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• I've got Grizzly lockers f&r. Kiss principle applies to me. Yes it takes a little getting used to on the street, but can't beat the warranty or how they perform on the trail.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!