2016 Jeep diesel

• Who's planning on making the move to a diesel JK? The story is that the 2016 model year will have the 3.0L diesel as an option. The question is... is it worth it? In the 2015 Grand Cherokee (and Ram 1500), it's rated at 240HP/420TQ. It's rated at 30mpg highway for the Grand and 28mpg for the Ram 1500. I've read that it really does get that 28mpg performance in the pickup... but, the aerodynamics of the JK are worse so I dunno how that'll relate.

So, the numbers look good, especially that 420ft-lbs of torque. But, it's a $4500 option to switch from the 3.6L gas engine to the diesel in the Grand Cherokee and $4000 for the Ram 1500. Those numbers don't look that great.

I've been wanting to get a 2017 Jeep JL (new generation) with a diesel, but for a $4000 premium... I dunno. The JL will have a little better aerodynamics so even the gas engine should get better gas mileage.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• i drive roughly 100 miles a day, so lets say 26000 miles a year.

at 16MPG (my average) that is 1625 gallons of fuel per year @ 2.65 per gallon that is 4306.25 in gas
    at 26MPG(assume that is what the diesel would get) that's 1000 gallons of fuel. @ 3.00 per gallon that is 3k in diesel

SO, in roughly 3 years, the cost would offset so i would say for ME, yes...it would make sense. For the average 12K mile a year commuter...you would be 6+ years to offset the cost.

id be curious to see the numbers with the non aerodynamic design.

• Your looking at about $50 extra per month on a 4 year note. Plus the extra price on fuel and maint....I think it's a break even at best compared to gas money wise.
    Now off road....Worth it. As long as they gear it right and make the drivetrain strong enough to live behind that torque.

• Why does eveyone think maintence cost or more on a diesel? Our jetta holds 4.5 quarts of oil and its changes are 10k. Thats a third less then a gas motor. they also dont have a spark system so thats one less major system to deal with. Also fuel is usaully the same price as midgrade so compared to most of the new engines u are paying the same costs. Eveyday u drive a diesel u save money.

• I agree Aaron, for the standard vehicle, (excluding the 15QT oil change trucks) maintenance is about the same. The difference in the gas price is real though...diesel is now more expensive then gas (regular) I also like to think that the diesel engine will last longer, and possibly bring back the 300K mile jeep that went away when the 4.0 left if they could up the tow rating to 5000-7500 lb they could really open up the market.

• According to Edmund long term test of the Ram 1500 diesel, they are averaging 22.7 mpg. Oil change is 11 quarts, filter is $50-60. Another added cost is the DEF. Diesel here in Felton is $2.99-3.09 a gallon. Running the numbers it's still 7 years to "break even".

• I've been averaging a little over 40k/yr...diesel makes sense for me. I have to agree with aaron that maintenance on a light duty diesel isn't any worse than a gasser. I went from a paid off Honda with a 29.8 avg to my tdi passat with a 46.1 avg. With the number of miles I drive I damn near cover the payment in the fuel savings.

My brother just bought a diesel grand and loves it. He has just over 1k miles and so far is averaging just shy of 30mpg in mixed driving. Compared to my co-worker's hemi version that has a lifetime average of under 14 and I'd argue for someone that drives more than average it's a good move. I'm keeping an eye on what they do with the jl's...if they don't screw it up too much it may be a possibility.

--Ian

• According to Edmund long term test of the Ram 1500 diesel, they are averaging 22.7 mpg. Oil change is 11 quarts, filter is $50-60. Another added cost is the DEF. Diesel here in Felton is $2.99-3.09 a gallon. Running the numbers it's still 7 years to "break even".

Again, the oil change is half as often so its actually less then a 5.7 or pentistar at 2×6 quarts and 2 filters and def tank is designed to last the length of an oil change. So thats 6x$3, wow an extra $18 over 7500 miles. so today diesel was $.10 more the gas but also $.10 less then then midgrade and $.30 less then premium.

A 5.7 and 8 spd auto is about a 2k cost increase and gets 15 mpg city per ram, the 3.6 is standard and gets 16 per ram and the 3.0 ecodiesel is around $2900 more at 19mpg city again per ram. All 4x4 models.

To figure out payback u have to calcutate it in miles not time.

Eco vs hemi
    30k at 15mpg at 2.69 = 5,380
    30k at 19mpg at 2.79 = 4,405

Eco vs pentistar
    90k at 16mpg at 2.69 = 15,131
    90k at 19mpg at 2.79 = 13,250

So by the math the here is your break even when u add in the initial cost of the upfit. I hope this helps clarify. Also the point of going diesel is not all about the mpg.

Check your prices.

I filled my truck earlier today for 2.799/ gal and it's usually a bit cheaper upstate. I usually see about a 20% premium on diesel vs regular unleaded.

>2014 Wk2 ecodiesel uses the same filter as the pentastar (different than the ram). It's oil capacity is 8.2qts vs 7 for the hemi. DEF runs 11.97/2.5gal and for comparison my tdi uses 2-3gal per 10k depending on how it's driven.

You mention years in your calcs... What's the mileage involved?

--Ian

• I typically see cost of diesel at or above the cost of premium instead of below premium. Anyways, if you keep your cars around it pays for itself, and it's cooler all the while. Just like a hybrid with better mileage, that car payment cancels itself faster if you drive more often.

As for the diesel Jeep, I'm very very tempted, but will probably buy a diesel truck. I don't think I would buy a gas motor if it had a diesel counterpart.

• I am about as diesel as it gets, but I like to work on my own stuff too. After about 2005 when all the erg, dpf, def stuff came out there is just no way I can get into a long term diesel vehicle.

If it was under warranty I would love it.

But out of warranty.... Replacing the def is about the same cost as dropping in a new gas motor reman. Replacing the fuel system after the pump grenades? 10k. Could replace the whole truck for that much.

Hate to say it, but for me, it's old diesels or new gas until some of the part costs go down or the stuff proves really reliable... But because the epa has ever changing marks for the diesel industry to hit, there are ever changing technologies to hit those numbers.... And repair costs are not going to go down any time soon.

• Gavan: I've been trying to follow the Ford full size trucks as much as I can, and I think the 6.7 meets the threshold for reliability. I've pretty much concluded that I would buy a 6.4 and remove the emissions, or a 6.7 and do nothing. Or a jeep and keep my 7.3 :)

Ed: you should probably tear it out now before it has time to slowly destroy it while in warranty and then fail right after the warranty is up. :) I don't know anything about Chevys but I'm hoping that by now they have figured out the emissions crap.

Jerry - back on topic, considering that you want to take long distance trips and even pull a small camper, I think that would put you into the diesel category. I've always known the diesel trucks to get twice the mileage of a gasser while towing twice their weight, so their efficiency under weight would be utilized and the gap widens for you. Not saying the new car payment is worth the difference, that's up to you, but new diesel would be better than new gasser.

• Gavan: I've been trying to follow the Ford full size trucks as much as I can, and I think the 6.7 meets the threshold for reliability. I've pretty much concluded that I would buy a 6.4 and remove the emissions, or a 6.7 and do nothing. Or a jeep and keep my 7.3 :)

Depends on what you want to do. 6.7 seems "better" than the 6.0 or 6.4 but it is a rediculiously complex motor. It is shoehorned in that poor engine bay. Bottom line is no one knows how they will last for the long term. Both motors, iirc, you need to pull the cab to replace the turbo (!). Just not something I want to get into.

Besides they are expensive as anything.

• Depends on what you want to do. 6.7 seems "better" than the 6.0 or 6.4 but it is a rediculiously complex motor. It is shoehorned in that poor engine bay. Bottom line is no one knows how they will last for the long term. Both motors, iirc, you need to pull the cab to replace the turbo (!). Just not something I want to get into.

Besides they are expensive as anything.

Cab is almost the easiest part to remove on a Ford and you have a lift. Everything I have seen the 6.7 is the way to go. Although my 7.3 with almost 278k miles on it is still chugging along. I think we will keep it until the body is no longer salvageable.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!