Fuel Pump dead after one year.

• So my fuel pump has kicked again in less than a year. I am considering putting an inline pump in. Can I just leave the stock unit in the tank and run the in line pump between the tank and the fuel filter? She is a 1991 YJ 2.5 fuel injected.

• No u have to pull the pump and replace it with submersable fuel safe hose. This is very different then regular fuel line and a lot more money.

• I remember a CJ guy who cut a whole in the floor directly above the sending unit in his tank. That way he had easy access to the wires and hoses and could open the tank up if needed without dropping it. He had a cover built for the hole which turned out pretty good.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Update.....Finally had some time to look at the jeep today. I put some starter fluid in the the manifold, and she still won't turn over. I seem to have good fuel pressure. Now I am thinking it may be part of the ignition system? It is cranking, but won't turn over. Any ideas?

• Here are the symptoms. I was driving her home. I have a 2.5 with 4.88 on 35 inch tires. We were on a big hill so I dropped her from 4th to 3rd gear. She was screaming at about 3100 rpms, then all of the sudden she dropped down to about 2700-2800 rpms, then climbed back to 3000 again. I had just finished running, so I chalked it off as my legs being tired, and numb. I figured I slipped off the gas pedal. Then a mile or two later it happened again. I got home fine, and parked in the drive way. 30 mins later I come back to start her, and she just cranks. Thoughts?

• My first thought would be the fuel pump or filter but you said you had good pressure. What was the pressure? If you measured good pressure then it sounds like you aren't getting a good spark.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• what kind of distances/speeds are you driving? i have a friend that had a similar issue after replacing the pump, filter and a bunch of other things, he found a kink in the line back near his gas tank. the car would run until the fuel lines drained out and start to die on him...if he was running slower speeds, it was fine, but at 60MPH it would flop.....

something to consider.

• I put more than a modest amount of started fluid in the intake manifold, and didn't even get a hiccup. That is leading me to believe that it is not a fuel issue. In the past, it would at least fire up before it quit. Ignition coil? Throttle position sensor?

• Cam position sensor and crank position sensor will also cause no spark.

Because it seemed intermittent when you were driving I'm going to guess its a bad ground. I don't think an ignition coil would fail intermittently. But I may be wrong.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Throttle position sensor won't affect ignition. Crankshaft position sensor will cause intermittent no-start and dying, but not usually a power skip while driving. Camshaft sensor is usually a permanent no-start until replaced. Might be worth checking the coil, coil wire, and distributor. All grounds, too!

I should have a fuel pressure gauge if you want it.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• 12, 33, 11, 15, 55

12 is the code that the bat has been discoed and 55 is the end of sequence. 33 is an ac clitch so ignore that. 15 is the speed sensor in the t case.

11 is the one thats the issue for u. Thats the cps or distributor sync sensor. Stat with the crank position sensor.

http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/yj_codes.html

• Took a look under the jeep today and the crank position sensor was just hanging there. Looks like it had worked its way loose. I bolted it back up, and she started right up!!! I need to replace the bolts. Any idea where I can get two new bolts?

• Local Home Depot or Lowes are my usual go-to's. You might get lucky and find a small blister pack on the shelf at an Autozone, Pep Boys or Advanced Auto.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• If its the crank position sensor get the bolts from the dealer. They are metric with a shoulder so the sensor sits in the correct position. Im sure bolts from the box store will fit but in this case its best to grab the factor bolts.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!