DMV Advice

• Trying to save some headache before heading there. I recently purchased a 1973 Cj5 and need to get it inspected at the Delaware Dmv. As far as emissions etc, does anyone have any helpful hints on what is expected from an older vehicle? Thanks!

• You shouldn't need a catalytic converter so there shouldn't be any emissions stuff on the motor. I'm not even sure they will do a sniff test but make sure the motor is good and hot when they test it. Besides that, you'll need lights, wipers, and horn...just like any vehicle.

Oh and make sure your windshield anchors are locked in before doing the brake test. I had the windshield slam down on the hood once. That got a lot of odd looks.

Passed though.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Don't let them give you crap about not having a 3rd brake light.. it's only required on vehicles from '94 to present but they mention it EVERY time I go through inspection. They may do the pressure test on the fuel tank. A new $6 fuel tank cap is good insurance.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Don't let them give you crap about not having a 3rd brake light.. it's only required on vehicles from '94 to present but they mention it EVERY time I go through inspection. They may do the pressure test on the fuel tank. A new $6 fuel tank cap is good insurance.

Don't they remove the cap to do that?

• Depends on who you get.. they pressure tested my tank once and they've tested the cap but never both at the same time. I think they're too lazy to reach down under the washer bottle to clamp off the return line so they just test the cap to show they did something. :shrug:

• I got crap on the VIN location on the 80 CJ I had, there wasn't one on the dash. Had to verify that it should and was on the firewall with a supervisor.

I didn't pass the Sniff test, but there's a waiver if you spend at least $75 to try to fix and it still doesn't pass.

Good luck, it's always a roll of the dice with DMV.

Joe

• I'm also trying to get my CJ8 done and inspected by the end of the year. What about side markers, do they look for them.

Yes you will need side marker lights for a Scrambler. The '73 CJ may not.

They try to pressurize my tank too but they can't because they don't have the right adapter for their machine.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Ha! Last time I went through, I forgot to put my rear flares back on the Jeep. I noticed immediately when I was waiting in the inspection line. I did everything possible not to draw attention to the fact that they were missing. I got all the way up to the last station where they do the brake check and the guy noticed. Should've seen the look of pure joy come over his face when he saw it! ::)

• They don't pressure test cj tanks. If they try tell them to pound sand. Nicely.

Have to tell them that every time. They do check the cap. Just smear some Vaseline, oil or grease on the rubber seal in the cap first. Will pass just fine. Another good thing about Scramblers and the DMV is since they were sold as pick-up trucks, their emission requirements are not as stringent as the same year CJ-7.

Side markers on your front flairs are all that are required, the stock tail lights double as the rear side markers. If you have done flush mount/led tail lights , a rear side marker as well as a play light will be needed.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Yes, I have 66 chevy truck tail lights cut in. To cut through all the BS I may have to go back to stock.

Why just add a side marker and some reflective tape.

Dont forget about a liscence plate light

• Rear side markers have to be lit. You won't need a license plate light. I never had one with my last body. They never check them anyway.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!