Grand Cherokee Owners...

• The problem isn't when driving it's when parking.

It is a confusing set up until you get used to it. Happened to us when we first bought the vehicle. Another issue I've had is shifting into manual shift mode by accident. :driving: This happens when pulling the lever back into drive and holding it back too long or your thumbs hit the shifter paddles on the steering wheel. I also tend to hit the phone button on the steering wheel when making a turn. Always happens when a good song is on too. :bang: Replying "F-You" or "Son of a B..." to the phone management system doesn't seem to work. You'd think it would be able to learn the language or something. :hmm: I wonder if I can program that? You seem to be able to set personal settings for everything else on the thing! :shrug:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• Not exactly the same thing but when my wife had a hybrid car, the engine would automatically shut off when you stopped. I got out more than once only to come back hours later with the car running. :doh:

.....and not to make excuses for drivers obviously not paying attention but those electronic shifters do take a little getting used to when you have been using mechanical linkage for so many years.

Another issue I've had is shifting into manual shift mode by accident.

I have done this as well by accidentally knocking it into manual. I look down and the car is near the revlimiter. :sniffle:

• I think the 2014 Dodge Ram 1500's are way worse. They have a round dial gear shift on the dash. Its just about in line with the round HVAC controls. I had one as a rental and multiple time almost shifted it rather than turning the heat up or down. Not to mention it was obnoxiously cumbersome.

• We've had one since November and absolutely can see the confusion. I wish it would have a slot for each gear rather than returning to center. Takes a while to get used to it for sure.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I think the 2014 Dodge Ram 1500's are way worse. They have a round dial gear shift on the dash. Its just about in line with the round HVAC controls. I had one as a rental and multiple time almost shifted it rather than turning the heat up or down. Not to mention it was obnoxiously cumbersome.

We had a 1500 rental out a KOH...yeah, it's was really annoying. I was almost used to it by the end of the week but I wouldn't want to own one.

• First people can't drive manual and now they can't drive automatic either

While traveling I had a Buick Regal as a rental (late 90's I think ). Not being used to the car I kept grabbing the damn windshield wiper lever every time I went to put the column shifter into drive. Stupid set up. I remember there were 3 levers on that tree crammed together because there wasn't much tree before it went into the dash.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!