Clutch Replacement

• The TJ started making a god awful screeching sound on the way home tonight. So I thought I had a belt or pulley going, but it looks like its the throwout bearing.

Since I need to pull everything apart to replace that I'm assuming I should just replace the whole clutch. The TJ has almost 190K on it and this clutch has been in for at least 60K, maybe longer because it hasn't been changed since I bought it.

I'm looking at a LuK clutch kit, I can get one locally in Dover for under $100. Are there any recommendations for a different brand? I cant imagine the 4 cyl would benefit from any type of performance clutch. Is there anything else I should replace while I'm at it? Any additional parts that won't come in the clutch kit?

This is my first time doing a clutch, so I'm sure there will be more questions.

• I am running a luk clutch and it is working very well. The throwout bearing is usually the cause of the screech. It should vary depending on if you are depressing the pedal or not. A guru I used to know said that they are called throwout bearings because anytime you are in that far you should throw it out and replace it! A new pilot bushing wouldn't hurt either, but most people don't change them. The flywheel should be taken to the machine shop and be resurfaced, it's pretty cheap. With that many miles it is probably not real smooth, and the new clutch will chatter. Or just replace the throwout bearing and "let it eat".

• Flywheels on jeeps have a slight dome. Not a good idea to surface them. If its bad buy a new one but chances r its fine. Not like a 4cyl can slip a clutch. The luk kit will come with a pilot bearing, set up tool, through out bearing and the clutch pressure plate and disk. If it comes with the plastic through out u can get the better metal one from National for around 20 bucks. There r several methods for changing the pilot but i bought a $30 bling hole puller tool from hf. I would deff change it.

• The domed flywheel on TJ's is news to me. All the junk I ever worked on was supposed to have a flat flywheel, just like the earth.
    I resurfaced a Toyota celica flywheel in the driveway one time on jack stands with the engine idling. I crawled under there and used a file and then sandpaper to bring it into spec.
    It was dangerous on many levels, and although I would recommend against it, that clutch worked perfectly for many miles.
    In all seriousness, I purchase a factory service manual for every vehicle I intend to keep for a while. It is not cheap, but it is worth it for the vehicle specific info that you can't get elsewhere.
    Thanks for the correction.

• In all seriousness, I purchase a factory service manual for every vehicle I intend to keep for a while. It is not cheap, but it is worth it for the vehicle specific info that you can't get elsewhere.
    Thanks for the correction.

The TJ FSM recommends hitting it lightly with some emery cloth just to clean it up.

• Thanks for all the replies. Is there any reason not to replace the flywheel? What would make it need replacment?

I've done a few and have yet to see a bad flywheel. Inspect for cracks and/or gouges. I usually clean it up with a scotch brite type pad in my die grinder.

• Heat from slipping clutches hurts flywheels. So baddly worn out clutch disks or high hp motor will wipe one out, neither of which u have so chances r u ill be fine.

• Rear main slips out from the oil pan. Dont really need to pull that for the clutch, but if its leaking fix it i guess.

• And here's where we have to pause. A trained eye will see the obvious problem. One of the nutserts for the skid plate has broken loose inside the frame. So that's going to put a stop to things until the Sawzall arrives.

[img width=1200 height=675]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.co…283d03cbf5c0cae40972d.jpg[/img]

The less obvious problem is that of the bolts that did come out, two did so because the material around them was rusted out and there are now 2" holes where the bolts go. [emoji35]

So, question 1 is what to I do about the nutsert?

And question 2, does anyone have a skid plate lying around they don't need? Or should I use this as a reason to introduce myself to Zach at A to Z? [emoji12]

• An angle grinder right down the middle of the bolt head until you hit the crossmember would be my first choice. Then break off the rest of the head with a hammer and punch or chisel. The saws all blade May or may not cut the bolt, depending on what grade the bolt is. Good luck and watch your fingers!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!