York OBA (Updated 6/6/04)

• Well, got the bracket kit from Kilby.

I must say I'm impressed with the quality.

The tank is on B/O but I'll probably do the compressor install this weekend or next.

• OOOO shiny!!

Good luck with the install Keith. Definately a fun and involved project, but one of the most worthy projects I have done.

Where are you planning on mounting the tank? Just out of curiousity.

-Chris

• Quote from "JeepSahara"

OOOO shiny!!

That's exactly what I was going to post! Won't look that way for too long, so keep that pic.

I'm interested in doing OBA one day....once I can save up for it. I hear the little bits and pieces nickle and dime you. keep us posted on the install.

• The bracket is sweet, but by the time you mount the compressor and
    the altenator you can't really see much of it.

I love my OBA Set up as well. Let me know when you start on it, I've got a bunch of leftover fittings your more than welcome too.

Joe

OOOO shiny!!
    Where are you planning on mounting the tank? Just out of curiousity.

I'm going to mount it under the Jeep. The under-hood location is nice too, but there's so little room in there and if I needed to have warranty work done on the engine I'd probably hear lots of grief.

Quote from "DieselCJ"

just hope it fits as good as it looks.

If you can keep it clean, it'll definatly up your *BLING* factor.

Actually, I'll probably paint it black prior to install.

Quote from "joelove"

I love my OBA Set up as well. Let me know when you start on it, I've got a bunch of leftover fittings your more than welcome too.

Thanks, I think I'm in pretty good shape. I've been collecting bits and pieces for quite some time now, including a coalescing filter that I'm going to route back into the compressor.

I'll post some pics as I progress.

• Looks good, I love my oba too, i left my bracket unpainted though. You cant see much of it anyway. Even fit with the stock air box. Now i need an oil remover, worked without one for a while but then i filled the copressor and its blowing oil like a champ. Good luck on the install.
    Ed

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Quote from "2000sahara"

Now i need an oil remover, worked without one for a while but then i filled the copressor and its blowing oil like a champ. Good luck on the install.
    Ed

How full are you filling it ?

Should be like 12oz max., about 1-1/2" from the bottom of the case.

• well when i first installed it i only put in about 3 oz or so and it worked fine. Then i was talking to others and they said there should be more, so i got scared and added more. When its standing up i filled it untill it came out the side fill hole. It was like 10 oz or something like that. Thats when it started blowing some serious oil through it. And naturally i went to all 3 sears's to buy and oil remover and they are all out of them. I guess i will wait.

• Look for it at http://www.mscdirect.com. They will ship to your house or you can get it at there local wherehouse off rt-141 and Airport Rd. You can pay with a cc and don't need to be a business like Grainger.

• Quote from "chuck"

Looks good Keith. Hey, what type of hose is that coming from the compressor?

It's a hose I had laying around. It's 1/2" ID armored stainless steel. It's rated at 1000 psi.

I also have a 6' long braided hose I'm going to use to run from the manifold to the tank.

Sure isn't a lot of extra room under the hood of a TJ. :rolleyes:

• Quote from "scramblejim"

Why in Gods Name do you have Armored Stainless Steel Hose "laying around"?

Cuz I'm a sicko pack rat.

I refuse to say more based on my 5th amendment rights. :shh:

• Looks great Keith. I really like that hose! I think I am going to go to hydraulic hose since the compression fittings on the copper don't seal 100%.

-Chris

Looks great Keith. I really like that hose! I think I am going to go to hydraulic hose since the compression fittings on the copper don't seal 100%.

Thanks. I think I'm going to mount the manifold over where the tray for the ABS control (which I don't have) would be. I removed the tray and there's kind of a little compartment there where my coalescing filter can sit I hope.

I do have a couple questions, do you guys usually just let it idle ?

And what do you set your cut-out at ?

And I didn't mention, the Kilby kit is top notch. And while it's certainly not cheap, it saves tons of time that would be needed to fab a bracket from scratch. Especially since the alternator needs to be relocated on the later TJ's.

• I let mine idle and it works fine but its a little slower. The oil blowing through the line doesnt help either. I know chris uses a hand throttle and he is always done airing up before me. Also i have mine set to kick on when it drops to 80 and kick off at 120. I have a 3000psi tank though so mine is set a little higher.

• Like Ed said, I have a hand throttle (in an automatic :spinrhead: ) just for my OBA and I usually put it at 1500 rpms when running the compressor. This fills the tank in about 5-10 seconds.

I have my pressure switch set to go on at 90psi and shut off at 125psi.

At the higher RPMs it shoots out less oil. Before I got the hand throttle it would strain the compressor at idle and shoot out more oil.

-Chris

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!